1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Invert Recommendation for Arid Setup

Discussion in 'Insects, Other Invertebrates & Arthropods' started by Wicked Witch, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Wicked Witch

Wicked Witch Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    I'm wanting to add in a few different types of inverts to a snake cage (based on the habitat around Devil's River in Texas) simply for asthetic purposes. They don't have to contribute to my CUC, so my only real needs involve herbivorous and mostly passive inverts. Bonus points if they're easy to find, keep, and breed. I'm mostly thinking about different types of beetles, but I don't know enough about them to know where to start. The cage is a 6 foot by 2 foot by 4 foot cage so I have plenty of room. Low humidity. The temperature ranges from low 70's to about 85-90 on the high end. I also only have a few live plants in this enclosure and nothing toxic or too hard to replace, so I'm not overly worried about grazers. Is there any species that might work in this setup or is this a pipe dream?

2. pannaking22

pannaking22 Arachnoemperor Active Member

There are plenty of darkling beetles from that area that should work.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. aphono

aphono Arachnobaron Active Member

If there's leaf litter, how about sand roaches? There are native ones in the U.S., don't know if there's some right in that area.

If not set on natives only, Polyphaga sp. could be a fun addition. P. saussaurei is a wonderful species. Usually not visible but due to their size, quite the attention grabber when they do come to the surface. Parthogenetic so they are going to breed.

• Like Like x 2
  4. pannaking22

I found several Arenivaga last time I was out there collecting. If I'd found pure sand spots I might have stumbled across Eremoblatta as well.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Wicked Witch

Wicked Witch Arachnopeon

I prefer native species, but if there's a species that works well for my needs I'll consider them regardless. Darkling beetles, sand roaches, and maybe some dermestids are what I'm thinking of. It's a big enclosure, but I don't want to overstock the cage all the same.

• Like Like x 2
  6. mantisfan101

mantisfan101 Arachnobaron Active Member

Maybe some velvet ants but make sure that it’s completely escape proof and be absolutely careful that you don’t get stung. Maybe some orthoporus ornatus millipedes although I’m not sure about their moisture requirements.

7. mantisfan101

Also considering the size you have a LOT to work with. You could maybe even squeeze in a hadrurus arizonensis and they are somewhat compatible with certain desert darklings.

8. Wicked Witch

Wicked Witch Arachnopeon

I considered something like those but, as the inhabitants need to coexist with my semi aboreal snakes, decided against scorpions altogether. I am wanting a few Extatosoma tiaratum. Maybe a 1.2 trio. They're not native but they're so well adapted to my needs that I decided to make an exception (low moisture, visually appealing, non aggressive, no venom, fairly easy to care for, prolific).

If I can find some, I've also very recently started looking at Zopherus nodulosus but I know little about their needs at this point so it might not work.

9. mantisfan101

Sorry but exotic stick insects are illegal in the US.

10. Wicked Witch

Wicked Witch Arachnopeon

11. pannaking22

Yeah there are some people selling phasmids now, but we're all just waiting for the hammer to drop on them. USDA and FWS certainly know about it, so it's only a matter of time before they do something.