Introduction and thank you!

AIRGID

Arachnopeon
Hi,

I joined the forum a while ago and have been lurking quite a bit since then. I used to work in the exotic pet trade 20 years ago in Belgium and got hooked on a moody companion with 8 legs (A. urthicans, now A.juruensis). I changed jobs, studied and had some offspring of my own and put the more exotic pets on hold whilst my children were young.
Now they are teenagers and it is time to pick up where I left off and I have my sights set on a Heterometrus spinifer, nothing too fancy but a species I like and one everyone in the family could rally behind.

So first of all, thank you all for the amount of information made available here. I have quite a good idea on what to do set-up wise for the tank. (The trick with the tube and gravel is awesome, and I have to say the entire community has taken huge steps forwards compared to my humble beginnings 20 years ago.)

Secondly I was wondering about two questions where I could not get a straight answer to and was wondering if you would be so kind as to share your collective knowledge with me.

The recommendation is to have a heating pad which covers parts of the tank to create warmer and colder zones for the critter to feel comfortable. This might sound silly, but where do you think the shelter would be best placed? The warm or colder zone? Or is that one completely dependent on the preference of the scorpion?

H.spinifer is not a climbing species; are plants a yay or nay for the tank? I read they can cause mite outbreaks and was wondering if they have any added value beyond the aesthetics for a non climbing species. (My spider did not have any plants in the tank back then, and I never had issues maintaining humidity etc..)

The tank is 26.5cm x 52cm x 20cm (10.5 inch x20,5 inch x 7.9inch) and I am furbishing these days and setting things up. All feedback and tips are welcome and I hope to share images of the tank when set-up is complete.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Welcome back to the hobby!

I'd probably place the shelter on the warm side, but it depends on the preference of the scorp I think. If you have the space you could also put a hide on each end.

While plants look nice, I'd expect the scorp to bulldoze them as they explore/wander/dig. They're really just for aesthetics more than anything else.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I agree with @pannaking22, plants are usually just for aesthetics, and if the scorpion decides to dig, the plants will be uprooted pretty quick. Two plus hides is better than one, although if enough substrate is provided the scorpion will dig its own shelter where it feels comfortable. Anyway, welcome back, and be prepared to end up with a lot more creatures than one in the long run!

Arthroverts