Introduce Yourself

Scarge

Arachnopeon
Hello all, my name is Sheldon and i'm from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Recently acquired my first invertebrate pets (couple of T slings), but have always found crawlies fascinating. Hoping to learn all I can from these forums.

MurrayTheMailman

Arachnopeon
Hello. 37 year old male from just outside Boston Massachusetts. Been lurking around here for a long time but recently decided to stop and say hello. I’ve had Avics Brachypelmas and a rose hair that I inherited but it’s been years since I’ve kept tarantulas. But now I’m getting the itch again. Haha. Anyway look forward to meeting everyone.

Amblyn Reisetter

Arachnopeon
I'm Amblyn and I teach 7th grade science. I got a colony of 25 Madagascar Hissing cockroaches this spring to use in my classroom for lessons. I have to say that I question that decision right now - I have two MHCs that escaped from a student-created habitat and I have not been successful locating them. I don't know the gender of the two escaped cockroaches and I don't know if there's any risk of them breeding while out of their enclosure. I have been trying to figure out how to post this question with no luck. Can you help me figure out how to post it?

Greasylake

Arachnoprince

cold blood

Staff member
I was gonna say those roaches don’t stand a chance in Minnesota. Hahah
Unless your house has a furnace...then outside temps are completely irrelevant.

On the plus side, hissers grow and breed at a much slower pace than most other roach species....probably not a problem at all;)

Irisiridescent

Arachnopeon
Hi! Call me Iris! I'm just now getting into tarantulas. I used to be terrified of them until I began to follow a guy on YouTube who just had such passion and pointed out all the little quirks about them while making it fun and exciting. I began to grow fond of the creatures and now wish to stick my foot into it. Will probably keep it low key. Just want one right now and see how it goes! Famous last words, I'm sure.

I've been doing lots of research and I want either a Brachypelma hamorii(Mexican red knee), Grammostola rosea(Rose hair), or Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens(Greenbottle blue) to start with! Or a Aphonopelma hentzi(Texas brown) since I live in their native area.

Last edited:

WildSpider

Arachnobaron
I used to be terrified of them until I began to follow a guy on YouTube who just had such passion and pointed out all the little quirks about them while making it fun and exciting.
Glad you got over your fear ;). Which guy on YouTube was it that you watched? YouTube videos are what made me want to get my T too. In fact, I think that's how quite a few new people are getting into the hobby.

Irisiridescent

Arachnopeon
Glad you got over your fear ;). Which guy on YouTube was it that you watched? YouTube videos are what made me want to get my T too. In fact, I think that's how quite a few new people are getting into the hobby.
I watch Exotics Lair. He's probably not what you would call "professional" but he has that simple humor and charm that I can relax after a hard day of work and enjoy him as he feeds and talks about his tarantulas.

WildSpider

Arachnobaron
I watch Exotics Lair. He's probably not what you would call "professional" but he has that simple humor and charm that I can relax after a hard day of work and enjoy him as he feeds and talks about his tarantulas.
He's one of my favorites :). A thread was made not to long ago about favorite YouTubers and he rated pretty high. He might have actually been the favorite, lol.

92qwerty

Arachnopeon
Hay all. New here so thought 8d pop in and say hi to all. Im from the uk . Im fairly new to the hobby and only have 6 t's. A common pink toe 3". Large green pink toe 5.5" female. 4-5cm curly hair. 2 peru purple avic 2cm slings and my pride and joy 10cm female mexican red knee i only got yesterday.im complete for now but i do understand its an addiction and ill soon want more haha.
Have a good day all
The crazy spider lady, as im called off the grandkids

8LeggedLair

Arachnoknight
Hay all. New here so thought 8d pop in and say hi to all. Im from the uk . Im fairly new to the hobby and only have 6 t's. A common pink toe 3". Large green pink toe 5.5" female. 4-5cm curly hair. 2 peru purple avic 2cm slings and my pride and joy 10cm female mexican red knee i only got yesterday.im complete for now but i do understand its an addiction and ill soon want more haha.
Have a good day all
The crazy spider lady, as im called off the grandkids
Greetings, you have to start somewhere. My collection isn’t all that big either however I have all the species I’ve ever wanted. I am a picky Keeper. Glad you swung by...

Arachnidthyst

Arachnopeon
Hi, I'm Amy. I'm thirty-four and I live in Greater St. Louis. I don't have any T's yet and I'm still in the gathering information stage. I'm fairly certain I want eupalaestrus campestratus to be my first T, though and I'm really into new world spiders in general, especially any purple/purplish species. My friend got me interested in the hobby but it'd be nice to meet some more spider-friendly people. I'm also interested in lepidoptera.

8LeggedLair

Arachnoknight
Hi, I'm Amy. I'm thirty-four and I live in Greater St. Louis. I don't have any T's yet and I'm still in the gathering information stage. I'm fairly certain I want eupalaestrus campestratus to be my first T, though and I'm really into new world spiders in general, especially any purple/purplish species. My friend got me interested in the hobby but it'd be nice to meet some more spider-friendly people. I'm also interested in lepidoptera.
Pleased to meet you, yes stick with slower more “docile” T’s for awhile. Stay away from caresheets unless you know where the info came from, research your species you will be acquiring/buying, even googling the scientific names of all the parts of the T as well, this site is good for any research there’s lots of people here like myself that are experienced but still learning themselves... happy keeping
And don’t beat yourself up too much about something you don’t understand what the T is doing once you get it, just ask...
if you do get the T
Lots Of Substrate don’t give it any height to fall from... they are stubborn albeit clumsy climbers.

Danger Baby

Arachnopeon
Well, apparently it made my username my real name. Guess we're dealing with this, haha

Newcomer to the hobby, saw a spider at my local reptile shop that i just.. I dunno, i had a puppy in the window moment with her. I havent bought her yet but, I really, really wanted to. But i thought I should check first if its even a good idea to start with a spider of her species and size.

She was a purple tree tarantula? She wasn't a baby they said they had had her for a little while, she was a decent size, super active, moving around a lot which was really what caught my eye. I've seen a lot of tarantulas that seem pretty content to hide and burrow, and I wanted something that would come out a little more often, but not something like a tiger or a cobalt blue that would be all.. ya know.. ZOOM

Edit: Avicularia are a good beginner species from what I read. Fingers crossed then that I'll be able to go get her in a month or so.

Last edited: