Introduce Yourself

MarkEustace

Arachnopeon
Hello, I'm Mark, a general science and nature enthusiast who has 'owned' quite a few exotic pets over the years including various lizards inc an ig, a boa, scorpions, spiders and for a few years, a wife. Obviously the last one is not true as she owned me in every way :)

I currently have two spiders - a big fat female salmon pink who is appropriately known as J-Lo and a beautiful Gooty Ornamental that has yet to declare its gender. The Gooty rarely molts and doesn't eat very much which I assume is the reason for so few molts.

My biggest concerns about keeping these lovely creatures is feeding them. I have just read a lively thread from a couple of years ago that is all about a mealworm eating a tarantula. I came across this thread because J-Lo often seems scared of the mario worms I feed her. Reading the thread alerted me to a couple of things that I did not know regarding the dangers of leaving the worm in the spider's tank if it's not eaten straight away. I will certainly ensure that doesan't happen again now that I know the danger (I have only fed crickets to my spiders in the past hence my ignorance).

One or two of the comments said that you should only feed spiders when they want to eat and I am very interested to learn of the behaviour that alerts you to the spider's state i.e. wants to eat/does not want to eat.

I always thought that you could feed spiders once or even twice a week but the comments suggested that spiders often fast for months and I would really appreciate it if someone could tell me how to spot a fasting spider.

Another issue I am curious about is to do with feeding J-Lo crickets. They always seem too small to me. She will eat them but it feels like I'm underfeeding her if I only feed her one cricket a week. Do you think I'd be ok to go back to crickets for such a big spider?

Any comments or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark.

Wart

Arachnopeon
Hello, I have been lurking around here for awhile and I finally decided to create an account and join. Lot's of great info here and the community seems real cool.
I look forward to meeting you all.

Cheers!

Giffomancer

Arachnopeon
Hey arachnoboard users :) I'm stoked to find this community.

I got my first tarantula a few months ago and can't wait to get more(also looking into getting jumping spiders)!! Looking for more information on how to take better care and become a more responsible owner. The more I find out, the more I know I don't know...

peeperkorn

Arachnopeon
Hi there. Recently, my 2 year old kid and I went to a mall and saw our first live tarantula. The kid was so excited for the next 24 hours that we decided to buy a juvenile Aphonopelma Seemanni. Not sure if male or female. Then I read on and purchased a Grammostola Pulchra sling (less than 1 in), which is spending most of its day in a burrow. I never suspected I had this arachnofilia in me. It is just fascinating. Glad to have found this forum. Cheers!

HugsTaco

Arachnopeon
Hello there!

I'm a recent tarantula hobbiest. I went from, "who the heck would want to buy and keep live spiders?" to "hey these things are pretty cool!" I now have 3 T's, a P. Metallica, a Green Bottle Blue, and an A. Versicolor. I'm pretty excited to see them grow up!

Hi there. Recently, my 2 year old kid and I went to a mall and saw our first live tarantula. The kid was so excited for the next 24 hours that we decided to buy a juvenile Aphonopelma Seemanni. Not sure if male or female. Then I read on and purchased a Grammostola Pulchra sling (less than 1 in), which is spending most of its day in a burrow. I never suspected I had this arachnofilia in me. It is just fascinating. Glad to have found this forum. Cheers!
Nice to meet you!

Last edited by a moderator:

lucafromlondon123

Arachnopeon
hi everyone im luca from london and i am a tarantula keeper
i started the hobby in 2016 and i am bulding my collection slowy but sureley
i love the dark den

netherguard

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone! I've been lurking around for a while and finally decided to make an account. I don't currently have any creepy crawlies (besides a pair of rats) but I've always thought spiders were cool and I'm interested in keeping some local household invaders as pets.

Tcollector

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hello everyone,

My name is James but everyone calls me Jim. I’m definitely not new to this hobby. I’ve had to step away for about 4-5 years due to life changes and lack of time to care for my animals. However, I am back and ready to go!

My previous experiences are with a wide range of T’s and many scorpions but I mostly specialized in Pokies. My absolute favorite Genus to work with!

I have gotten married in that time frame and my wife would like to get on board in learning and growing in the hobby.

Anyways, nice to be here!

UnatsiPheonix

Arachnopeon
Hey y’all. I’m Unatsi, cos I’m swift and ya can’t see me (hah, joke !)
Anyway, I’m from Texas and am very super new to tarantulas, but have always had a fascination with them. Here for learning purposes and gaining insight and understanding from more experienced Tarantula enthusiasts. Apart from that I have no idea what else to say but thanks for the opportunity Take care!

The Seraph

Arachnolord
Hey, this is the Seraph. I realize that I never actually introduced myself, so I thought I should do so. I am currently living in Florida, I got my first tarantula, a B. Hamorii sling, roughly 3-5 years ago (I am incapable of keeping track of time), and got my second one, a B. Albopilosum sling, a few months back. Here to learn more on keeping tarantulas as I expand my tiny collection.

Montanagoddard

Arachnopeon
Hi my names Montana and I’m 20 from Canada, I just got a Rose hair tarantula that’s around 4 or 5 years old and she doesn’t seem to be liking her new environment... I think it’s set up nice and I have a heating pad underneath on one side but she’s all squished up on the opposite corner covering her face and I’m concerned and need advice please!! Also can I keep the red light on for her at night since it’s kinda cold in my room?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I just got a Rose hair tarantula that’s around 4 or 5 years old and she doesn’t seem to be liking her new environment... I think it’s set up nice and I have a heating pad underneath on one side but she’s all squished up on the opposite corner covering her face and I’m concerned and need advice please!! Also can I keep the red light on for her at night since it’s kinda cold in my room?
Welcome!

I would suggest posting a separate thread with your questions here: Tarantula Questions & Discussions.

Kriza96

Arachnopeon
Helloo I just wanted to say hi and to tell you I'm proud owner of 2x P. Irminia ,P. Regalis,C. HatiHati and B. vagans :)

Kriza96

Arachnopeon
Welcome to the boards, are these your first tarantulas?
Helloo yes they are my first but my girl has previouse experience :) they are slings still...

Welcome to the boards! How long have you been keeping tarantulas?
Helloo I don't know exactly but not long,as I said in previouse reply ,my girl had experience with tarantulas...and we have veiled chameleon,and in a short time we will get a crested gecko, packman frog and hopefully Ball Phyton :)But throughout my whole life I've been living with vast amount of animals one way or another...from dogs and chickens to rats and turtles haha

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
are these your first tarantulas?
How long have you been keeping tarantulas?
Arguably someone has even the right to reply "mind your own business" at such questions, uh :bored:

:troll: :kiss:

but my girl has previouse experience
Helloo I don't know exactly but not long,as I said in previouse reply ,my girl had experience with tarantulas...and we have veiled chameleon,and in a short time we will get a crested gecko, packman frog and hopefully Ball Phyton :)But throughout my whole life I've been living with vast amount of animals one way or another...from dogs and chickens to rats and turtles haha
Bravo, take care of her. Besides, in life, what really matters is the experience of the ones we love, not ours: we need moderation in pomposity :stop:

>Mr. Pompous :pompous:

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Ball pythons are great little reptiles, miss the ones I used to have!

Have fun watching the slings grow! It's always a rewarding experience.