Introduce Yourself

JayMc

Arachnopeon
Hi there,I live in Southend-on-Sea,Essex,England,I'm 48 and have a beautiful daughter.I moved recently and long story short had to part with my growing collection of T's.Well,I didn't think I would miss them....the OBT is back and no doubt the others will follow.Feels like a home again.New to any website, so looking forward to taking all this in.

Typhon56

Arachnopeon
Hello people! Im from Greece, and i was always in love with spiders! A few moths ago i got into spider hobby. I have 2 Wolf Spiders, 1 Labirinth Spider, and Black widow. Since i got the hobby i read many posts here in Arachnoboards and i found the forum very interesting.

FrmDaLeftCoast

Arachnosquire
Hey there everyone....My name is Fernando from Bakersfield, CA (Originally Oxnard, CA). I'm new to this hobby, and my fascination started with a YouTube video by the channel known as Exotic Lair. I never thought about actually owning a T...due to my assumption that it's an expensive hobby (Single father of 2 kids = budget). Yet 3 things allowed me to change my mind.

1) Substrate - Once I found out a T's substrate is generally made up of coir pith (coco pith) and peat moss...I did a fist bump! I just happen to work at a Growing Media Plant. Both coir pith and sphagnum peat moss are raw materials we use for a large percentage of our mixes.

2) Enclosures - Realized I had the appropriate tools required to make some nice yet inexpensive enclosures.

3) Slings - These little beauties are within my price range.

Plus the icing on the cake? My son who generally keeps to himself is actually interested in this hobby. And my 8 yr old daughter? I plead the fifth...LoL.

I've actually placed my 1st order (thanks to Seven Wonders) of slings and should arrive by tomorrow. Which one did I choose? Well I cheated...and chose 4 different species

Nhandu chromatus 1.5"
Acanthoscurria geniculata 1.25"
Grammostola pulchripes 0.75"
Lasiodora parahybana 0.33" X3

I'll be receiving a total of 6 slings! The past few days I've prepared their enclosures, ordered tongs, cork bark, glue gun, etc. Plus reading/watching as much information as humanly possible (Mike's Basic Tarantula). I just need to find me some feeders.

If your reading this now...WoW...Thank You!

Xinowulf

Arachnopeon
Good evening. My name is Truitt and Im from Louisiana but living in Virginia right now for work. I’m sort of new to the tarantula hobby but I can’t get enough. I’m at 15 and want many more!

Spiderlife

Arachnopeon
Hello all, I'm Kelly from Scotland!

I started in the hobby around March '18 after seeing a beautiful blue spider in a reptile shop. Research eventually led me to YouTube and Facebook groups about the hobby and now I have over 50 spiders.

Love this hobby it's like real life Pokemon hehe

PhotoNick

Arachnopeon
Hey Everyone My name is Nick and I'm a photographer in the Hudson Valley in New York. I don't own any spiders but was hoping to get the opportunity to photograph spiders in my area

MantisSpider29

Arachnopeon
Hello everybody, My name is Charlie Blanton and Iam a long time invert breeder and lover. Just graduated with my Bachelors degree. I have a deep passion for mantids in particular. I have even raised the Orchid mantis for 2 generations. I have kept various species of tarantula as well and while Iam sad about the pokie ban, I would love to breed what I can in my home state of Missouri and help these species thrive well into the future.

Shannel

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone! I'm very new to the hobby :) Idk if it was ok for me to get 5 Lp slings and a B. hamorii as a beginner but I'm trying my very best to be a good momma LOL. Anyone from brampton - toronto, ON ?

devinc

Arachnopeon
Hi! My name is Devin, I live in Brooklyn, NY. I am looking to get into the millipede hobby. As a kid on our fall family hikes through the Blue Ridge Mountains, I was always picking up the millipedes I came across, scaring the crap out of my poor mother. I have loved them for years and after speaking with very encouraging entomologist friend I am now so ready to add some pedes to my family. This forum is so helpful, so glad I cam across it! Excited to be here :)

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hello all, I am just getting back into the hobby. I kept tarantulas for a few years back in the early 2000's. I'm getting back into the hobby by starting off with the local fauna... a communal group of V. carolinianus (scorpions), 1 Bold Jumping Spider, and I'm currently looking for a Florida Blue Centipede to add to the native collection. I also am getting an L. parahybana next week. anyway just thought id start off by posting here.

Drezan

Arachnosquire
Hello everyone! I'm Ryan and I'm from Indiana. I just got my first sling, a Pterinopelma Sazimai, from the Midwest Reptile Show in Indianapolis 3 weeks ago and now I feel like I am going to start breeding. I've been studying all kinds of information and biology on these fascinating creatures. I'm happy to learn any tips or other useful information on T's that any of you can give me!

weibkreux

Arachnoknight
Hello! Took me months before introducing myself LOL!

Anyway, I'm Paul from the Philippines. I started this hobby last February of this year. First T was a B. vagans (male), which I traded for a B. albopilosum (female). 7 months later and I now have more than 20 Ts, most of them are slings.

Lurking here in the boards, helped me a lot in acquiring necessary info in raising my Ts. This hobby also taught me patience and is a good stress reliever. ;)

Lucian Monkbane

Arachnopeon
Hi all! My name is Lucian. I’m a Benedictine monk and I have 15 T’s, though half of them are teensy weensy little slings. I also have a Firefly morph ball python named Sigfried.

I find this hobby to be very meditative and helpful with anxiety. I also love tending to enclosures and making creative ones out of surprising objects (lantern, plastic action figure box, food storage stuff, etc.)

yougrowgirl

Arachnopeon
Hello-- Been lurking and learning for a little while and thought I'd introduce myself. I'm in Toronto. Have had a lifelong interest in creatures and the natural world in general. I make my living writing about gardening, and of course, invertebrates are an integral part of the ecosystem. When I was a kid I kept mantids, other invertebrates, snakes, etc, but in my adult life it's been just observing what I find in the garden and occasionally bringing something in for a short time... snails, millipedes, etc. Only veg eaters that I release after a few weeks. But recently I found tarantula and invertebrate videos on youtube and have become addicted. I'm hoping to start with an amblypygia, but am surprised to find myself considering a tarantula. I've always had a healthy respect for spiders. I am fascinated by them and we have had an interesting variety of species set up webs in our kitchen window. My spouse and I have enjoyed observing them through the years and often find ourselves becoming attached. That said, I do not like spiders on my person, and really did not enjoy it when, one summer, a male cross orb weaver insisted on moving all around the kitchen. It lived mostly sitting on the ceiling and regularly popped down right into my face, scaring the life out of me several times. It was an interesting learning experience in male orb weaver behaviour (the females stay so calmly in their window webs), but...

As of now my spouse is concerned about bringing a tarantula into the house, even a slow and lumbering New World species. He's most concerned that it will get loose somehow and end up in a tussle with our little dog. He shares my curiosity about the natural world and may just come around with time. But for now he's cool with a few amblypygia. My greatest interest are in mantids and stick bugs (I loved keeping mantids as a kid), but options are limited here in Canada.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
As of now my spouse is concerned about bringing a tarantula into the house, even a slow and lumbering New World species. He's most concerned that it will get loose somehow and end up in a tussle with our little dog.
It's pretty easy to keep them contained if you are not handling them or being careless by leaving the cage open while unattended.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Hi all! My name is Lucian. I’m a Benedictine monk and I have 15 T’s, though half of them are teensy weensy little slings. I also have a Firefly morph ball python named Sigfried.

I find this hobby to be very meditative and helpful with anxiety. I also love tending to enclosures and making creative ones out of surprising objects (lantern, plastic action figure box, food storage stuff, etc.)
Interesting. I'm Italian and here Ordo Sancti Benedicti monks can't even think to keep inverts and such: it's only 'ora et labora' :angelic:

Djv44spider

Arachnopeon
Hello, my son and I have gotten the spider bite and got our first T. It's a beautiful Zebra. I've owned snakes in the past and love all sorts of animals. Ts are awesome and have such different varieties and I am loving getting into the hobby. Nice to meet everyone.

Versicam801

Arachnopeon
Well I'll start off by saying that my name is Cameron. I am 27 years old and I am very new to Tarantuals and I first got involved with them to overcome my Arachnophobia. I started out with a Caribena Versicolor and just recently purchased a Poecilotheria Regalis and a Brachypelma Albopilosum. I joined this forum to get information on my new fascination. Studying Tarantulas has been very therapeutic for me and I most certainly have a new found respect for these beautiful creatures.

Attachments