Introduce Yourself

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I've heard these boards can get really nasty.
They do not, stupid! Now go away!

Kidding of course, welcome to the boards! :)

Things do get heated from time to time, but usually it is a result of the following sorts of situations:

1) "I saw a tarantula at the zoo once, I think I'm ready for an Old World species"
2) My tarantula really enjoys being handled.
3) "Despite evidence to the contrary, I firmly believe that split enclosures work. You just have to be able to build things correctly, and I've built several Lego Star Wars models so I'm going for it!"
4) My tarantula really digs bass guitar.
5) "Possums suck!" (Okay, THAT one has not been an issue, let's keep it that way.)

Starbeaver

Arachnopeon
Hello Everyone, I'm Gav from the Netherlands. Excited to be here and learn things before getting my first spider. I was directed here after doing some reading from tomsbigspiders. :)

Pangogirl

Arachnopeon
Hi, my name is Joanna. I'm 19 and am new to invertebrates. I've had numerous pet's throughout my childhood. Ready?.... Here's the list! 1 leopard gecko, 2 guinea pigs, 1 budgie, 2 love birds, 1 rabbit, 1 lineolated parakeet, 2 planted fish tanks(too many fish, snails and shrimp to count), 3 whites treefrogs, 1 fire skink, 6 ducks(hatched and raised), 4 quail( hatched and raised), 3 hamsters, and 1 crested gecko. Whew! Thought I'd never get through that. I currently have a desert horned lizard, a service dog, and several millipedes. I'm trying to start a 10 gal vivarium for my millipedes. I miss my planted tanks that I sold when I started college. So I'm hoping that the vivarium will cheer me up. I'd love any suggestions for the viv or millipede keeping in general. Feel free to message me about anything animal related! I know and have learned alot! The millipedes that I have are 2 N. Americanus, 1 Narceus gordanus, 1 Flordia ivory, and 1 Tylobolus uncigerus.

Maus

Arachnopeon
Hey, I ah... I'm going to move to the UK soon, and having a spider always was something I tough to be interesting. I've noticed that they're allowed to be kept and sold openly in animal shops (or so it seems) in the UK. Is getting one a good idea? I have little time, but as I read on the internet, they're pretty much independent beings... Any recommendations?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Is getting one a good idea? I have little time, but as I read on the internet, they're pretty much independent beings... Any recommendations?
If you have limited time, tarantulas are the perfect low-maintenance pet. It would be best for you to start a thread on Tarantula Chat, so the discussion doesn't hijack this thread or get lost.
In the meantime, here are some beginner species:

@EulersK made these videos highlighting some beginner species:

@Tomoran also has these recommendations for beginner species:

MiCks023

Arachnopeon
Hi all!!
I'm Mike 33 years old and i live in the Netherlands, i've been reading this forum for a while now and i'm also on the dutch Tarantula forum.
I've been in the hobby since 08-26-2017.

lateapexpredator

So angry
Hey everyone,

My name is Kyle, I live in the US, specifically in SW Montana. I'm new to this hobby but am committed to getting a T. Stirmi as my first. I realize this isn't a beginner's T, but I am looking to spare no expense on getting the setup correct and have no issues with the time spent to make sure it is comfortable. I'm hoping it will be an excellent introduction to the hobby and am already planning on my first and second additions to my collection (p. metallica or a. versicolor for the first, and an OBT as the second). Obviously I'll take my time, but the idea of the most interesting, the largest, or the most striking colors gets me excited.

Looking forward to picking your brains and sharing my experiences in the near future.

CAZoghbi

Arachnopeon
This forum is fantastic! I am looking to get back into the hobby after my Pink Zebra Beauty passed a couple of years ago. I am amazed at just how much the taxonomy has changed concerning tarantulas, and how different the "best practices" for the husbandry is today. Let me pick your brains and HELLO to all!

Pineapple

Arachnopeon
Hay, I'm Phil. I am from Poland. I am 15. I have kept tarantulas since 2017/01/14 when I bought three B. vagans slings (now 2 females and one male) and one Davus pentaloris sling (female). Now I have more tarantulas (most of them are females), ants (I them since 2016) and snalis. I also have an aquarium and one scorpion. Hello everyone!

Jaime8

Arachnopeon
Hi. I live near Washington, DC, US. I love to observe spiders and insects. I do not keep them. I found this site when searching for some resources. My favorite weekend activity is just watching nature - a spider watcher, I guess. A pet peeve is when someone sees a spider with ANY brown and says it's a brown recluse so it must be killed. I also hate when people claim they have a spider bite when they just have a red bump. Ok, rant over.
I am looking forward to connecting with fellow enthusiasts and sharing information on wild spiders.

evojoey

Arachnopeon
Hi everybody! My name's Joe, and I'm from South Jersey. I never thought I'd join an invert forum, but here I am.

My main hobby is breeding fish. I have 30 tanks right now, and have become pretty good at breeding the rare and hard to find species in the hobby. I used to breed ball pythons in the early 2000's as well. I currently have a pair of albino western hognose snakes, and a pair of neon garters that I'm working with. I've never kept any type of invert aside from feeder roaches for leopard geckos and the like. I also have a pair of Russian tortoises that I find entertaining.

Over the last couple months I've found myself watching a lot of YouTube videos on tarantulas and have become very interested witn keeping a few. Currently on my want list are GBB's and C.versicolor.

Looking forward to learning what I can from all the great minds here on this forum. Thanks for having me.

AmyDerp

Arachnopeon
hey everyone, my names Amy im 21 and im from suffolk in the UK. i have been in the hobby since Jan 2017 and i currently own 10 beautiful tarantulas (B. Hamorii, B.bohemi, B.vagans, B.albopilosum, P.metallica, H.maculata, L.parahybana, A.calcodes and a c.cyaneopubescence)

i joined so i can learn more about species i dont have or want in the future (theres a loooong list)
cant wait to connect with people over the world and hear about others experiences

JillGig

Arachnopeon
Hi! Im Jill..brand new here. I have a B hamorii, G pulchra, A eutylenum, A urticans, L parahybana, and a B albopilosum!!

mikesworld46

Arachnopeon
Hi Everyone! I am a true newbie in T keeping but I’m very excited and willing to learn along the way as I have just gotten my new babies! Today I was expecting to recieve only one T sling which was the Lasiodora Parahybana but the breeder gave me 2 additional freebie slings and they are the P.Smithi and the P.Vagans....I’ll be honest I am a bit scared being so new to the hobby. I was already concerned on having one now I have three!!! But anyways if you guys have any good tips to take care of these lovely babes it would most definitely be most appreciated! Well that’s all, maybe I’ll post some pics later on when feed them for the first time.

Cheers Guys!

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Today I was expecting to recieve only one T sling which was the Lasiodora Parahybana but the breeder gave me 2 additional freebie slings and they are the P.Smithi and the P.Vagans....I’ll be honest I am a bit scared being so new to the hobby. I was already concerned on having one now I have three!!!
The Poecilotheria smithi is a bit of a handful for a new keeper (and I can't advise on their care), but the other two are good beginner species.

For your two terrestrial slings: fortunately, most NW terrestrial slings are pretty similar in terms of setup and care.

To get you started, @Tomoran recently posted a helpful guide for people who are new to slings (long but worth watching, IMO). If you have any additional questions, start a thread on Tarantula Chat.

Last edited:

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Hi,

my name is Julia and I'm from Germany. I just got into this amazing hobby (means I'm a complete newbie), and while scouring the internet for answers to my many questions I always came across this forum... so, I decided to join. ;)

At the moment I'm a proud owner of two sub-adult, female Ts - a B. hamorii and a D. diamantinensis, named Missy and Donna. :happy:
But I'm pretty sure there'll be more in future. :rolleyes:

mikesworld46

Arachnopeon
The Poecilotheria smithi is a bit of a handful for a new keeper (and I can't advise on their care), but the other two are good beginner species.

For your two terrestrial slings: fortunately, most NW terrestrial slings are pretty similar in terms of setup and care.

To get you started, @Tomoran recently posted a helpful guide for people who are new to slings (long but worth watching, IMO). If you have any additional questions, start a thread on Tarantula Chat.

Wow thanks for these Ungoliant! By the way I need to correct my mistake in my earlier post I did not get a P. Smithi i meant to say i got a Brachy Smithi hehe anyways thanks again fir the links they are awesome!

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
By the way I need to correct my mistake in my earlier post I did not get a P. Smithi i meant to say i got a Brachy Smithi hehe anyways thanks again fir the links they are awesome!
Oh, well that's a huge difference. B. smithi should give you no trouble.

Lexicious

Arachnopeon
Hey all!
I'm Lex, originally from England but I moved to the states after meeting my now wife online through the power of facebook. I'm a stay at home dad to our baby girl who will be a year old next month.

I have only recently gotten into T's and have 1 B. smithi sling who has doubled in size in the short time I've had him (I say him but I call him Jenny...)

Before this I was primarily a snake guy, having kept Corn snakes, Common boas, Anaconda, Blood, Ball, Reticulated and Burmese pythons. As much as I'd love to still have a large collection of snakes our home just doesn't have the space so I'm down to just some garter snakes.

I'm hoping to eventually get G.pulchra and B.albopilosum in my collection as they're beautiful species.

JumpySpidey

Arachnopeon
Hey, guys, Y'all, I'm new here and new to the study of arachnids. Actually, I just "randomly" developed the interest a few weeks ago. Up till then, i have always been somewhat afraid of spiders...but they really aren't that bad, in fact, some (like the jumping spiders--hence my name ;) are actually kind of CUTE)!!! :):):):)