Introduce Yourself

jsivertson

Arachnopeon
Greetings all! My name is Julia and I live in Ohio. I took care of the tarantulas in my high school science lab but have never had any of my own until about a month ago, when I got a G. pulchripes sling. I wanted to start with a really small T to make sure it wouldn't freak out my boyfriend and his daughter! Mission accomplished; they are getting over their fears and have OK'd the addition of another (bigger) T. I look forward to learning more about keeping tarantulas. Cheers!

VanessaQ

Arachnopeon
Hi all. Glad to find this board. I am an admin for a university biology department and have had severe arachnophobia that I have been seriously working on. I now encourage and name the cat face spiders that build their orbs on my porches and was actually thrilled when and egg sac hatched a zillion babies last summer. But I moved the table they were under waaaaay out into the yard instead of next to my back door! Now I'll be reading posts looking for info to adopt a local wild vinegaroon for the summer. Pretty sure I can't keep one year round due to my old adobe house without central heating. One of my students says she finds them in and on her house every year and I have a big enough tank handy. I also have help from students and faculty since we're all a bunch of weirdos.

Zalea1864

Arachnopeon
Hello, all. I have always been fascinated by spiders in general. I bought two Ts about 6 months ago, one Chaco Golden Knee sling and one Brazilian White Knee juvie. Amazing creatures. I am excited to get more into the hobby and look forward to adding to my collection in the future. :)

ThisMeansWAR

Arachnosquire
Hey'yall! Newbie to the hobby but already addicted... My first experience with T's was "spidersitting" for a friend of mine two years ago, a super-chill Grammostola rosea. (Did I get the nomenclature correct?) Needless to say, I fell in love with these alien creatures and have been dreaming of taking care of one since then.

I found a wicked good deal on a norwegian board, purchasing a sub adult Acanthoscurria geniculata (Cruella), an adult Brachypelma aurata (Molotov) and a sub-adult Davus fasciatus (no name yet) as well as Exoterra enclosures for all three for a total of 215 USD / 200 EUR. Something tells me this is a great deal ;)

I love these boards already, you guys have given me invaluable knowledge and given me a flying start here. Looking forward to getting to know you and deep-diving into this wonderful world of beautiful critters. Now excuse me while I run out and get a copy of the Tarantula Bible. I'm a geek and I want to know ALL there is!

Lots of eight-legged love from Oslo, Norway

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
My first experience with T's was "spidersitting" for a friend of mine two years ago, a super-chill Grammostola rosea. (Did I get the nomenclature correct?)
Yes, although some "Grammostola rosea" are actually Grammostola porteri.

cold blood

Staff member
Hey'yall! Newbie to the hobby but already addicted... My first experience with T's was "spidersitting" for a friend of mine two years ago, a super-chill Grammostola rosea. (Did I get the nomenclature correct?) Needless to say, I fell in love with these alien creatures and have been dreaming of taking care of one since then.

I found a wicked good deal on a norwegian board, purchasing a sub adult Acanthoscurria geniculata (Cruella), an adult Brachypelma aurata (Molotov) and a sub-adult Davus fasciatus (no name yet) as well as Exoterra enclosures for all three for a total of 215 USD / 200 EUR. Something tells me this is a great deal ;)

I love these boards already, you guys have given me invaluable knowledge and given me a flying start here. Looking forward to getting to know you and deep-diving into this wonderful world of beautiful critters. Now excuse me while I run out and get a copy of the Tarantula Bible. I'm a geek and I want to know ALL there is!

Lots of eight-legged love from Oslo, Norway
Welcome to the hobby...great little group to start with, I give you credit for doing the research and choosing very good ts to begin with....great variety, all different, but all good choices.....but...oooooh.....all in exo-terraso_O....sounds like someone was talked into expensive enclosures at a pet store.:arghh:

Sorry to say, those enclosures, having the front opening doors, are arboreal enclosures and should only house terrestrials if modified so that the front door is on the top. Those are about the most expensive enclosures you can buy for a t, which is why I expect they were suggested by a motivated seller. Cheaper enclosures are not always worse, in fact some of the best enclosures are also the cheapest (sterilite).

ThisMeansWAR

Arachnosquire
....sounds like someone was talked into expensive enclosures at a pet store.:arghh: Sorry to say, those enclosures, having the front opening doors, are arboreal enclosures and should only house terrestrials if modified so that the front door is on the top.
Thanks for the welcome! I actually didn't pay anything for the Exoterras, I purchased everything from a previous owner so all three T's with enclosures came at 215$ which I suspect ain't all that bad. But what you're saying about how these enclosures are not well suited for terrestrials is very valuable information, I'll definitely have to do something about that. I have an unused aquarium with the following measurements: 14" (35cm) tall / 14" (35cm) deep / 30" (77cm) wide. Would sectioning this off into three compartments with 4" substrate be an option? This post might belong in a different forum though. Thanks again for your great feedback!

cold blood

Staff member
Thanks for the welcome! I actually didn't pay anything for the Exoterras, I purchased everything from a previous owner so all three T's with enclosures came at 215$ which I suspect ain't all that bad. But what you're saying about how these enclosures are not well suited for terrestrials is very valuable information, I'll definitely have to do something about that. I have an unused aquarium with the following measurements: 14" (35cm) tall / 14" (35cm) deep / 30" (77cm) wide. Would sectioning this off into three compartments with 4" substrate be an option? This post might belong in a different forum though. Thanks again for your great feedback!
Divided enclosures are not a good option with tarantulas. You would be amazed at the number of times this fails and results in one very fat spider.

Knowing European spider pricing, you certainly did pay for the enclosures (not to worry though, you did in fact get the lot for a pretty good deal)...but that's ok, because I'm sure one day you will venture into arboreals and when that happens, you will have your first three set ups waiting...

That tank may be fine for one of them, but tanks are also less than ideal, as they require significant amounts of substrate to make them safe.....not a huge deal though....also you would need to get some acrylic or plexi cut for a new top (same for every exo-terra) as mesh tops are poor options for a t cover. Most hardware stores will cut it for you if you have the dimensions....then all you have to do is drill ventilation in the lid, which isn't rocket science.

Attachments

WhyUBiteBite

Arachnosquire
Hey, Logan here. Haven't gotten my first one at home yet due to supply/finding the one I want but have cared for Ts in an institutional setting. Good to meet you all!

narc0leptic

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone !
My name's Elizabeth and I'm a newbie in the world of tarantulas. I got an avicularia avicularia about a month ago but I'm already addicted. :)

Rob1985

This user has no status.
I'm not new... but back to the boards after a 3 year hiatus! Hello fellow "Old Timers"!

SoomplePompler

Arachnopeon
I figured I would finally introduce myself after lurking for quite awhile. My name is Dave, I am from Wisconsin. I'm honestly not sure how I came into the hobby, other than I was looking for an outlet away from computer screens. I have always had a side interest in inverts, but never put a lot of thought into taking care of my own until about a year ago when I began researching tarantula husbandry. I also appreciate the creativity and construction I have come across in the hobby, when it comes to custom made enclosures. Hopefully I will have the opportunity to make something of my own in the future. I am happy I took the time to investigate this hobby and make it a part of my life!

cold blood

Staff member
I figured I would finally introduce myself after lurking for quite awhile. My name is Dave, I am from Wisconsin. I'm honestly not sure how I came into the hobby, other than I was looking for an outlet away from computer screens. I have always had a side interest in inverts, but never put a lot of thought into taking care of my own until about a year ago when I began researching tarantula husbandry. I also appreciate the creativity and construction I have come across in the hobby, when it comes to custom made enclosures. Hopefully I will have the opportunity to make something of my own in the future. I am happy I took the time to investigate this hobby and make it a part of my life!
A welcome from another Wisconsonite that's always thrilled to see others from the area here on the boards. If you are ever in the southeast portion of the state, stop on by and say hi.

SoomplePompler

Arachnopeon
A welcome from another Wisconsonite that's always thrilled to see others from the area here on the boards. If you are ever in the southeast portion of the state, stop on by and say hi.
Thanks for the welcome! I'd love to see a real collection some day, and even better from another Wisconsin hobbyist! I have not been able to find a ton of activities or interest around the state, outside of Sewerfest maybe, so it is good to see some arachno-love in the area. I am currently living in the Fox Valley but travel to Illinois, Ohio, and Indiana frequently enough that I find myself in that area of the state.

cold blood

Staff member
Thanks for the welcome! I'd love to see a real collection some day, and even better from another Wisconsin hobbyist! I have not been able to find a ton of activities or interest around the state, outside of Sewerfest maybe, so it is good to see some arachno-love in the area. I am currently living in the Fox Valley but travel to Illinois, Ohio, and Indiana frequently enough that I find myself in that area of the state.
Message me any time. Youre right, WI isnt exactly a hotbed of arachnid activity. Ive never been to sewerfest, but its about 10 min from my house.....im right off 94....so you drive right by for those destinations.