Introduce Yourself

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
Thank you! I was able to get a C. cyaneopubescens sling and a P. fasciata sling as well. Saturday I am heading to an expo, so my collection might grow again :happy:

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Thank you! I was able to get a C. cyaneopubescens sling and a P. fasciata sling as well. Saturday I am heading to an expo, so my collection might grow again :happy:
Nice.... starting with a pokie? Wouldn't have been my first recommendation... haha! But I'm sure you'll do just fine. Just be careful:).

Just don't get too crazy with expanding your collection so soon, though. I know it's tempting. But it might save you lots of heartache (and money) if you make sure you have your husbandry skills dialed in first.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
Yeah, I know many people advise against Pokies for beginners. I have been reading all I can find and preparing for the day I could finally get one however and wouldn't have made the jump if I not for having experienced friends to help me out as well. I really don't want to come off as "that guy" who thinks he knows all and feels invulnerable, I am much more experienced with snakes and those people irk me in that area.
Thank you for the advice and warning, I have heard some stories of how they can be. Hopefully mine will be female and content with being admired and left alone.
At most I will only be getting maybe 2 more slings, mostly the expo is for supplies for every animal I have.

Suz

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone! My name is Susan. I'm 32 years old (or young...) from Texas. I'm a professional dog trainer, living with three dogs (that's my Chihuahua, Oliver, in my avatar) and a husband. It's been a few years since I've obtained any 'exotics' but I used to keep a corn snake, a western hog nose snake, two pet rats, and some bettas. I've also owned several cats and a couple of birds over the years, but mainly prefer dogs and snakes.

I'm getting my first spiderling on Friday and am excited and happy to be here! Everyone on here so far has been very friendly. Will report again after my baby B. vagans arrives!

AIRGID

Arachnopeon
Hi peeps,

Quick introduction :). Living in Belgium, love to paint, sketch and play blues on my telecaster :). Currently I have no inverts in the house. Two dogs, a cat, a tank of fish, two children, and a hubby are already quite the handfull.
Back in the 90's (gasp. you may guess my age now ;)) I had a beautiful and tempestuous Avicularia Urthicans lady. My knowledge is vastly archaic and outdated and since it seems the love for al creatures great and small is passed down to the next generation I thought it might be smart to gather some intel first.

So be prepared to see my name pop up with heaps of questions...and then more questions...and maybe some more :astonished:

runCMD

Arachnopeon
Hi all from California. When I was a teenager I had a T. Blondi that promptly died because I didnt research how to take care of it. 30 years old now and just received my GBB from Jamie's today. He's already caught his first small cricket.

I'm in IT enjoy lifting weights, bowling, and hanging with the fam. Basically a nerd.

Last edited:

Vorax29

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone!
France speaking here!
Hope I'll find answers to some of my questions, to see beautiful pictures of fantastic tarantulas and to meet great people! :)

Yulian

Arachnopeon
Hey everyone! From Puerto rico here, I've always been fascinated by all sorts of animals and thats caused my family to think im sort of crazy:D (after all who would want a giant spider as a pet am I righ? Lol) Well I've been interested in tarantulas ever since I was little and have kept some of the native cyrtopholis portoricae about to be stomped on by certain people XD for some time before releasing them again. So the reason I've finally joined arachnoboards(I have been a lurker for years XD) is that pretty soon I'll be getting my first pet T, a 3inch B.smithi and if all goes well after awhile with my smithi I will also plan on getting an A. Avic because of their colors and arboreal nature fascinate me. Sorry for the rambling intro :rolleyes: hope to be a part of this wonderful community!

And yes that is my crestie in the profile pic XD

MysticSpider

Arachnopeon
Good morning everyone! 28yr old Floridian here :D I'm a total beginner to inverts. Hoping to catch my first jumping spider when it warms up and the weather clears. Avid nature lover here and I grow orchids/house plants. My avatar/name is based on the fact that Spider is a totem animal of mine (for those who believe in that sort of thing);) and I can't wait to learn and make friends on this new journey!

tAngents

Arachnopeon
Well hi everyone! I'm just going to come right out and say that I never thought I'd be joining an arachnid-based forum because I have been an arachnophobe for as long as I can remember. Last week my grandma died and she was a lover of all living things. She always had cellar spiders nesting in the corners of her bathroom. "Don't kill my spiders!" she'd say..LOL. So, now I am trying to accept the arachnid as my "spirit creature", since they come to me all the time. :wideyed: Every time I open a cupboard, there one is. I find them in my car, inside my fridge, in my shoes, one time there was one in my lunch box at work--literally almost everywhere I reach, I find one. It's been that way for years. It's pretty weird, really.

Yesterday after doing about 2 days of internet research, I adopted a rose hair tarantula from a local exotic pet shop. I named it Nope. I only screamed a little bit while transferring it into its new enclosure haha.. I came here to learn even more about these creatures, meet some tarantula experts, hopefully get it sexed eventually, etc.

I'm no stranger to owning exotic pets. As a kid and young adult, I had newts and salamanders. Currently I have 3 leopard geckos and 1 African fat tail gecko. I also have a dog.

The basics:
I'm 38 years old RN, married, with an 11-year-old daughter.
We also have a 3-year-old Dachshund/Pomeranian mix dog named Ruger.
I'm also a fairly avid gamer and car enthusiast.

Marcus58

Arachnopeon
I am an empty nester. I am a career surgical technologist. My kids are grown and moved out. Our family pets are now gone. So I decided to indulge a childhood dream. I have always studied insects and spiders. The choice was obvious. I bought a tarantula, an n chromatus to be exact. I purchased it online at about 1/2 to 3/4 leg span. It's really been fun watching it grow. It has molted twice now and is about three inches. It's name is Tiberius.

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
Well hi everyone! I'm just going to come right out and say that I never thought I'd be joining an arachnid-based forum because I have been an arachnophobe for as long as I can remember. Last week my grandma died and she was a lover of all living things. She always had cellar spiders nesting in the corners of her bathroom. "Don't kill my spiders!" she'd say..LOL. So, now I am trying to accept the arachnid as my "spirit creature", since they come to me all the time. :wideyed: Every time I open a cupboard, there one is. I find them in my car, inside my fridge, in my shoes, one time there was one in my lunch box at work--literally almost everywhere I reach, I find one. It's been that way for years. It's pretty weird, really.

Yesterday after doing about 2 days of internet research, I adopted a rose hair tarantula from a local exotic pet shop. I named it Nope. I only screamed a little bit while transferring it into its new enclosure haha.. I came here to learn even more about these creatures, meet some tarantula experts, hopefully get it sexed eventually, etc.

I'm no stranger to owning exotic pets. As a kid and young adult, I had newts and salamanders. Currently I have 3 leopard geckos and 1 African fat tail gecko. I also have a dog.

The basics:
I'm 38 years old RN, married, with an 11-year-old daughter.
We also have a 3-year-old Dachshund/Pomeranian mix dog named Ruger.
I'm also a fairly avid gamer and car enthusiast.
First off, sorry to hear about grandma, that's always a tough loss.:sorry:

I loved the cellar spider story:)

You will notice that a lot of people here that are t lovers now, are former arachnophobes (myself included), we even have a user with the name @Formerphobe :)

My first t was one I rescued, and just like you it was a rose hair that I never knew wasn't an actual rosea. While I don't think there the best choice as a first due to inactivity, IME, for someone with the phobia, their inactivity can actually inspire confidence around the animal. Most species are a little more active and eat quite a bit more.

You will also find a lot of dog lovers here, too...and surprisingly, a lot of car people, too. In the "watering hole" there are also many gaming threads. Welcome to the boards.

Last edited:

Buddhaman20

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone I'm Tom
Im new to the tarantula world I just got my fist T's I got a.
c. cyaneopubescens.
G rosea.
Brachypelma vagans.
There all doing good eating an rearranging there encloses the why they want to lol
I look forward to learning more about T's an expanding my new hobbie

Charlottesweb17

Arachnopeon
Good morning everyone!

I am glad I found this forum!
I am a 45 year old living in NWO looking to welcome a tarantula to my home. Fell in love with them after taking my son to a reptile show and holding one for the first time. She was a beautiful golden knee so comfortable and docile it's like we were made for one another.
My son has even picked out a name for the female I am looking to get.
Have narrowed my choices down to what I am looking for as well.
I joined the forum to connect with other owners, get tips and support.
Hoping to get to know a lot of you.

Charlottesweb17

Arachnopeon
Newbie Introduction

Hi, all. I am not only new to this board, I am new to tarantulas. I am just looking into owning my first one and am still in the mode of gathering information on the proper care and feeding of. I know I eventually want a Cyriopagopus sp. "blue" (Singapore Blue), but since the literature suggests this is not a first-timer's spider and intend to work my way up to having one. So far, I have the housing and supplies for an arboreal tarantula, and I've been looking at the Avicularia metallica (Metallic Pinktoe) or the Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens (Green Bottle Blue). Any advice would be greatly appreciated, but I think if I poke around this site long enough, I'll probably pick up some great tarantula-care tips to help me make my choice.

Thanks

Maren
Looking also at getting my first one! Have been doing a lot of reading and research as well on care and feeding etc. Have narrowed my newbie choices down to 3 species. Looking for a Pink Zebra Beauty for my first choice, Mexican Red Knee or a Honduran Curly hair.
Keep in touch as to how your efforts are going.

Charlottesweb17

Arachnopeon
Just a friendly reminder from the friendly neighborhood mod. ;)

From Winnipeg, Canada. 28 yrs old. 2 young boys, lots of spiders.
Post once in a while in The Watering Hole.

Welcome all! Feel free to ask any questions via PM. I will help if I can. :D
I am in Thunder Bay! Newbie looking at purchasing my first!

beebug

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone
Greeting from England, I've been keeping tarantulas for about 10 years now, first being a G. rosea named fluffy. I'm a bit of a technophobe but am hoping to harness the magical capabilities of the internet to share my love of creepy crawlies and further enhance my knowledge of the arachnid world so you'll likely be hearing a bit more from me :)

HybridReplicate

Spectrostatic
30 some years old, RN, have an APBT, some Bettas, kept bonsai in a former life, had a great love of rodents as a kid (probably courtesy of Redwall) and kept and bred mice for many years, making spare cash before it was legal for me to work by selling the little ones to the local pet shop. In retrospect they were probably used as feeders, but I never realized at the time.

I never kept inverts but in the summer months there are plenty of spiders about and they particularly like to web up in the bathroom. There are also plenty of earwigs so I grab them with a tissue and disable their pincers with my pocket knife before tossing them into the webs. This summer I had what I think was a brown recluse build an enormous funnel web in the corner above the shower. Back in August I used an "all-natural non-toxic" after-shower spray and he was dangling all shriveled up a few days later. Long story short, I felt bad and missed my little spider friend of many months so I started watching YouTube videos, found the spectacular channel TheDarkDen, bought and read the TKG, made an enclosure courtesy of TarantulaSam's YouTube channel, then got my first T. Now I have three, soon to be four with the addition of my first OW: Monocentropus balfouri.