Introduce Yourself

socalqueen

Arachnoknight
I'm very new to hissers and trying to learn as I go, but so far I love it. I have three females and want to get some males and attempt breeding!
The show was awesome, first time I've been to one and I'm officially hooked. Will be attending the one in San Diego in July!!

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
I'm very new to hissers and trying to learn as I go, but so far I love it. I have three females and want to get some males and attempt breeding!
Well, if they're anything like dubia roaches, they're probably fairly easy to breed. Of course, I could be wrong, since I've never bred hissers before. My dubia colony is exploding, though! Higher temps make them active. And it may be a myth, but I've been told that fresh oranges are the trick to reproduction. I've tried that, and it seems to work pretty well. Whether or not there was a direct cause, I'm not certain. But they definitely LOVE the oranges. Be sure they're organic oranges, though. You don't want pesticides in your roach food! And remove the remains before it starts to mold.

socalqueen

Arachnoknight
Well, if they're anything like dubia roaches, they're probably fairly easy to breed. Of course, I could be wrong, since I've never bred hissers before. My dubia colony is exploding, though! Higher temps make them active. And it may be a myth, but I've been told that fresh oranges are the trick to reproduction. I've tried that, and it seems to work pretty well. Whether or not there was a direct cause, I'm not certain. But they definitely LOVE the oranges. Be sure they're organic oranges, though. You don't want pesticides in your roach food! And remove the remains before it starts to mold.
Awesome info! I think I need a bigger viv before I start working on reproducing, and getting males is important as well lol. I will most definitely try oranges, and will be posting my journey.

Skycat

Arachnopeon
Hi. I don't have any inverts yet, but I am interested in eventually getting a tarantula, so I've been reading up on them, found AB a few days ago and started reading even more stuff here, and finally signed up because I got tired of only being able to see the thumbnails of attached pictures (annnd maybe also the hope that whenever I'm ready to get a T, I could find someone local to buy from).

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Hi. I don't have any inverts yet, but I am interested in eventually getting a tarantula, so I've been reading up on them, found AB a few days ago and started reading even more stuff here, and finally signed up because I got tired of only being able to see the thumbnails of attached pictures (annnd maybe also the hope that whenever I'm ready to get a T, I could find someone local to buy from).
Hi Skycat. Welcome! I'm fairly new here, too. It's a great group of people. A good resource for info and advice. And when you're ready to make your first purchase, you can always get the critters mailed to you from a quality breeder that you contact here. They'll pack them up nice and safely for the trip, and will usually honor their LAG (Live Arrival Guarantee) policy:)

Skycat

Arachnopeon
Hi Skycat. Welcome! I'm fairly new here, too. It's a great group of people. A good resource for info and advice. And when you're ready to make your first purchase, you can always get the critters mailed to you from a quality breeder that you contact here. They'll pack them up nice and safely for the trip, and will usually honor their LAG (Live Arrival Guarantee) policy:)
True, and I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to ordering online, but those shipping costs, ouch! (if I do go that route, I think Jamie's would be my choice because you can get the cheaper shipping and still get the LAG anyway)

Kentucky Reptile Expo may be a possibility too.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
True, and I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to ordering online, but those shipping costs, ouch! (if I do go that route, I think Jamie's would be my choice because you can get the cheaper shipping and still get the LAG anyway)

Kentucky Reptile Expo may be a possibility too.
Oh for sure! Reptile shows are always the best way to go. Such a fun time:D

Jamie is an awesome dealer! I've ordered T's and enclosures from her, and have always had good experiences. She really looks out for her customers!

cwebster

Arachnopeon
Hello to all! Am new here. Love spiders. We have devil scorpions but hope to learn about and eventually care for amblypygids.

TimTarantula

Arachnopeon
Hey All,

Welcome to Arachnoboards. Please take a moment to introduce yourself. Let us know who you are and what brings you here.

Feel free to post a picture of yourself here.

This thread is for personal introductions only, please let us know what inverts you have here.

Hope you enjoy your stay :D

The Arachnoboards Team

My name is Tim. I am a first time poster and beginner tarantula keeper. I just received a Brachypelma Albopilosum 1 1/2" and GBB 1" from Jamie's Tarantulas. I'm excited to begin my new journey with my T's and look forward to referring here for information and support. Thank you!

Panda

Arachnopeon
Hi all! New here *^_^*
I go by my nickname of Panda, I have 11(?) lol. All kinds. Once I figure out how all this works I'll post pix of everyone I have :D
I'm 23, female, run with a rescue squad as a volunteer. Currently going to school for my EMT. Pretty much an open book! Lol

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Hi all! New here *^_^*
I go by my nickname of Panda, I have 11(?) lol. All kinds. Once I figure out how all this works I'll post pix of everyone I have :D
I'm 23, female, run with a rescue squad as a volunteer. Currently going to school for my EMT. Pretty much an open book! Lol
Hi Panda:)

What's the back story for that nickname?

J880011

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone my name is Justin and I got my first sling b. Vegans it's about 1/2 inch. Now I'm hooked I want more and my kids want a t of their own as well. Can't wait to see what we find at the local reptile expo coming up

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Hi everyone my name is Justin and I got my first sling b. Vegans it's about 1/2 inch. Now I'm hooked I want more and my kids want a t of their own as well. Can't wait to see what we find at the local reptile expo coming up
Hi Justin! Welcome!

That's awesome that you're hooked. We're all hooked as well! And what a wonderful way to spend quality time with your family:)

If you ever need species advice, this forum is an awesome resource! If you can buy it, someone on here already owns it and has experience in it.

TarantulaTrish

Arachnopeon
Hi All! I'm Trish in Phoenix. Kinda new to the tarantula addiction, I'm about 6 months in now. I was ANTI snakes and spiders until I fell in love with my spider babies and now I'm only afraid of snakes! My hubby originally brought 2 tarantulas home that he bought from a guy he works with (who breeds them). Not sure what kind they are (hubby knows) but they're both black, fuzzy and beautiful! We also have a pretty pink toe (I think from Guyana? but what do I know?). We got them all as babies, the black ones were super tiny and after 6mos they're getting nice & big! The pink toe I purchased from Petco a few months ago, they said it was a baby but it's a couple inches now so I'm not sure how old it is exactly. Our pink toe has been acting weird so I started my search for info and landed here! I think it's probably just PMS (pre-molting-syndrome) ha! Looking forward to all the knowledge here!

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Welcome, Trish!

My hubby originally brought 2 tarantulas home that he bought from a guy he works with (who breeds them). Not sure what kind they are (hubby knows) but they're both black, fuzzy and beautiful!
If you post pics of any unidentified tarantulas, I'm sure they could be identified (assuming they're not tiny slings).

Most of us use scientific names, because it's not always clear which species are meant with common names. (Some people just make up their own common names when there are no established ones.)

We also have a pretty pink toe (I think from Guyana? but what do I know?). We got them all as babies, the black ones were super tiny and after 6mos they're getting nice & big! The pink toe I purchased from Petco a few months ago, they said it was a baby but it's a couple inches now so I'm not sure how old it is exactly. Our pink toe has been acting weird so I started my search for info and landed here! I think it's probably just PMS (pre-molting-syndrome) ha! Looking forward to all the knowledge here!
Guyana pinktoe usually refers to Avicularia avicularia; many are captive-bred, while some are still wild-caught. Female pinktoes will live about 7-10 years in captivity. Male tarantulas generally don't live much more than a year after reaching sexual maturity.

There's really no way to know how old a tarantula is in the absence of record-keeping, so often size (diagonal legspan) is used.

Feel free to start a thread in Tarantula Chat with any questions you may have!

Last edited:

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Welcome, Trish!

If you post pics for any unidentified tarantulas, I'm sure they could be identified (assuming they're not tiny slings).

Most of us use scientific names, because it's not always clear which species are meant with common names. (Some people just make up their own common names when there are no established ones.)

Guyana pinktoe usually refers to Avicularia avicularia; many are captive-bred, while some are still wild-caught. Female pinktoes will live about 7-10 years in captivity. Male tarantulas generally don't live much more than a year after reaching sexual maturity.

There's really no way to know how old a tarantula is in the absence of record-keeping, so often size (diagonal legspan) is used.

Feel free to start a thread in Tarantula Chat with any questions you may have!
Yup! People here LOVE identifying tarantulas. Most of us think of it as a game. There's actually a whole thread with an ongoing game where people are challenging each other by posting pictures of their tarantulas. Fun stuff!

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
Hello everyone, my name is Cory and after lurking through your forums for the past couple weeks I decided to finally create an account.
After years of persuasion I finally convinced my wife that having Ts would be a good thing. I have never owned any before but I have always been interested and read all I could on them. Just purchased my first ones this past weekend and once I figure out how, I will post some photos of the slings.
Hopefully I can learn a lot from everyone, maybe even help out others eventually.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Hello everyone, my name is Cory and after lurking through your forums for the past couple weeks I decided to finally create an account.
After years of persuasion I finally convinced my wife that having Ts would be a good thing. I have never owned any before but I have always been interested and read all I could on them. Just purchased my first ones this past weekend and once I figure out how, I will post some photos of the slings.
Hopefully I can learn a lot from everyone, maybe even help out others eventually.
Cool! Welcome.

What species did you get?