Introduce Yourself

Drteeth

Arachnopeon
I appreciate the advice. Here's the best pic of the sling I could get with my iPad zoom. I'll work on getting other more suitable foods for it.

I also made a better suited enclosure in a 16oz deli cup with coco fiber, a water dish, and a piece of cork to climb on/hide under. So for it seems to prefer climbing on top of the cork.

Are there any in-depth books on tarantula care that you would recommend?
fruit flies arent a good feeder for Ts, they lack the nutrients. they'll work, but not in the long run. slings scavenge prekilled crickets and other feeders, much easier to just use those. send me a pic if you want a idea of genus and maybe species.

Attachments

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I appreciate the advice. Here's the best pic of the sling I could get with my iPad zoom. I'll work on getting other more suitable foods for it.

I also made a better suited enclosure in a 16oz deli cup with coco fiber, a water dish, and a piece of cork to climb on/hide under. So for it seems to prefer climbing on top of the cork.

Are there any in-depth books on tarantula care that you would recommend?
it looks like a typical terrestrial sling. prob a Brachypelma or Lasiodora sp. keep it on the moist side till its about 1.5". by then you will be able to tell the genus at least.
take a lot of what you read in these with a grain of salt, as some of its out dated and some of its plain wrong. but generally these will give more understanding about your spider. Tarantula Keepers guide (Stan Shultz), tarantulas and other arachnids (Sam Marshall), and Animal planet Tarantulas(Michael Jacobi). the best but by far most expensive is "Tarantulas of the World" by François Teyssié.

Professor Zoom

Arachnopeon
How we all doing?
Names Manuel, came across this as I was researching to take care of my first T, it's an Acanthoscurria geniculata/Brazilian White Knee. I was always catching spiders daily since I work Pest control(Ironic much?) well anyways I'm here in Cali in the Inland empire, also a gamer on xbox live. So a nerd in other words lol. But feel free to hit me up for whatever!

Geemonster

Arachnopeon
Hi i'm Gareth and i'm 47 and i love Spiders.
Maybe one day if conditions are right i'll have a Spider from the Phoneutria Genus.
Gotta be super careful with those.

Dementeddoll

Arachnoknight
I need help. My brachyphelma smithi sling isn't taking any food I've been giving it. I took the advice you guys gave me about feeding it prekilled crickets as I can't find any pin head crickets anywhere in any pet store near me or even far. What do I do?

Professor Zoom

Arachnopeon
I need help. My brachyphelma smithi sling isn't taking any food I've been giving it. I took the advice you guys gave me about feeding it prekilled crickets as I can't find any pin head crickets anywhere in any pet store near me or even far. What do I do?
I couldn't find any pin heads either so I fed my sling a small cricket which was about the same size as it, he took it down no problem. Also I read on another post to make sure the cage wasn't too big, that way they can bump into each other. Hope it helps.

Dementeddoll

Arachnoknight
I already switched the enclosure and it's like a little container where people put salsa on the go when you go to a restaurant. I also put a thin layer of wet coconut fiber on the bottom and a thicker dry one at the top. So it helps keeping the humidity without it becoming too humid for it. Yeah, I found some at petsmart and I watched and asked for the tiniest crickets. I put one in there with my Smithi and still nothing. I've been keeping the temperature well. I have his little container inside my frog enclosure since I keep a night heat lamp which isn't strong but just good enough for the temperature it needs. So idk if it just ate a big meal when I bought it because I noticed petco had like bigger crickets inside with it. Like way too big for the sling. The cricket was easily 2x bigger than it and the lady said were not supposed to buy that's all we have. I just hope it eats. ☹

checkmate

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I already switched the enclosure and it's like a little container where people put salsa on the go when you go to a restaurant. I also put a thin layer of wet coconut fiber on the bottom and a thicker dry one at the top. So it helps keeping the humidity without it becoming too humid for it. Yeah, I found some at petsmart and I watched and asked for the tiniest crickets. I put one in there with my Smithi and still nothing. I've been keeping the temperature well. I have his little container inside my frog enclosure since I keep a night heat lamp which isn't strong but just good enough for the temperature it needs. So idk if it just ate a big meal when I bought it because I noticed petco had like bigger crickets inside with it. Like way too big for the sling. The cricket was easily 2x bigger than it and the lady said were not supposed to buy that's all we have. I just hope it eats. ☹
Where did you get your T's?

Dementeddoll

Arachnoknight
I got it in the city of Whittier at the quad they usually have T inventory compared to any other petco. The petco near my house had a sub adult but it fucking sold that same day they had the 50%discoubt as they were selling it for 100 bucks.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
make a thread on the Q n D forum or tarantula chat for answers. this thread is not the place. also, cursing really isnt tolerated.

StormDance

Arachnopeon
Hi all, I am a long time lurker who finally decided to get an account. My particular interest is in dwarf tarantulas and I'm glad to see a few people around who also share this interest. I'm also currently experimenting with communal species, specifically H. gabonensis and am actively searching for species with which I can do similar experiments.

Beyond my dwarves, I have five other rescued children: a B. vagans, G. rosea, a corn snake and two mice.

Lobot

Arachnopeon
Hello all, Just got into T collecting/hobby and this seems to be where the well of knowledge is on the subject. I am active duty Navy live in Florida and very excited to further into my inverts. Between me and my wife's enthusiasm we have already aquired 15+ T.s. Looking forward to making some new friends!

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
Hi everyone, I'm Amber. I'm 32 and have always LOVED spiders, but haven't ever had one. I havent gotten my 1st tarantula yet. I'm still in the research phase of things. My 10 yo son is excited too for this adventure.

SpiderLadyRene

Arachnopeon
Hello, everyone! I'm a new T owner but lurker. My name is René and I love all things exotic, especially animals. I'm an animal nut and am looking into a career in wildlife biology. :) Currently I work for Petsmart with our live animals. I currently own two dogs (bassetxplott hound & my otterhound), a kitten (Maine coon mix, my rescue), a juvi bearded dragon (rescue), and my newest addition- my Chaco Golden Knee sling, about an inch in size. I've fallen in love with the little guy and hold him when he willingly crawls onto my hand. I found tons of good info on this board that steered me into getting the Chaco as my first, so thank you! I hope to make some friends and fight the stigma against these wonderful creatures via education.

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
Hello all, Just got into T collecting/hobby and this seems to be where the well of knowledge is on the subject. I am active duty Navy live in Florida and very excited to further into my inverts. Between me and my wife's enthusiasm we have already aquired 15+ T.s. Looking forward to making some new friends!
HI, nice to meet you. I'm still in the research phase, so I don't own a T yet. I'm so curious how long after getting your first T did it take you to end up with 15? I seriously feel like I will have 10 within the 1st 6 months of having my 1st. That's just how I am, ya know?

Dementeddoll

Arachnoknight
Before you jump into all different species do your research care is different for different species. Some are arboreal and some are terrestrial. With that being said some are use to dry climate and some to humid ones.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
HI, nice to meet you. I'm still in the research phase, so I don't own a T yet. I'm so curious how long after getting your first T did it take you to end up with 15? I seriously feel like I will have 10 within the 1st 6 months of having my 1st. That's just how I am, ya know?
I've been keeping Ts for just a little over a year. I jumped from 1 tarantula to I want to say around 10 in about 2 months, then another 4 in 3 months. It's an addictive hobby.

Dementeddoll

Arachnoknight
Lmao, woah. Haha, I know I wanna get more but idk. Space is limited. Lmao, I have too many animals other than T's.