Intermediate Tarantulas

Cas S

Arachnoknight
I have an adult female E. murinus and a female sling A. ezendami. The E. murinus is pretty defensive and always strikes threat postures, but the ezendami is usually pretty relaxed for an OW sp.

I also have a C. versicolor sling, and they're pretty fast but if you're careful they're a good starter arboreal sp.
View attachment 275969
yeah Im looking for a more defiensive sp. but im getting back into a C. versicolor, actually yesterday I was feeding blue, my GBB, and as soon as she felt the cricket, she threw up a threat pose, bit the air, grabbed the cricket, and ran off

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
Probably hands down a very good choice is H pulchripes. Both sexes have the same bright colors & they are fast and easily startled but not really aggressive.

They're a good 2nd terrestrial if your first was something like Lasiodora or Acanoscurria etc.

M balfouri is also a great choice but more prone to burrowing and slightly more finicky eaters. Again, fast and nervous but not aggressive.

Neither species will stand and fight if they have a hide away to retreat.

The lack of urticating hairs is a nice bonus as well. Heck, essentially keep them like Rose hairs. Both are dry spiders.

M balfouri Maxine out 1.jpg H pulchripes cage care 2.jpg

The 2nd one opens up many directions to go especially if you choose a sling.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
@EulersK has a great YouTube video about how more "advanced" species are often burrowers, out of sight, etc. Many "advanced" species aren't really that much fun to own, unless you're into pet holes (and some people are, no judgement). That vid is worth watching for this discussion.

Does "intermediate" mean more difficult to keep? More defensive? Worse bites/venom? Beginner/intermediate/advanced means different things to different people. Some T's with nasty venom that can be quite defensive are pretty easy to keep. OBT comes to mind.

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
There's no hard and fast rule but they are considered the most defensive NW species that aren't especially delicate or the calmer to average OW simply because of the speed and venom even if the T itself isn't all that aggressive.

It plays into the whole concept of a ladder in terms of what you get first. That splits up a million ways.

Frankly as far as I'm concerned, if you research a specific species and have a plan AND a fully functional cage AND feeders BEFORE obtaining aforementioned tarantula, you'll be fine.

Advanced species are usually ones that are very aggressive such as H minax or require very particular conditions like T stirmi. Although no tarantulas have a fatal bite, other spiders like the Brazilian wandering spider also fall into that catagory. New tarantulas that are super expensive that no one has any idea whatsoever they need are also advanced.

The thing is that the ladder makes no sense. Say someone starts with a curly hair, then they do a Bahia Scarlett bird eater, then a rear horned baboon. That individual isn't ready for a pokie. They should do a Versicolor first, back down to the bottom.

The whole ladder thing only makes any sense when you have 3 of them, burrowers, terrestrials and arboreals totally independent from one another.

The thing is that almost any T can be cooled to 60 or maybe 55 degrees and then dealt with as needed. Or, if you prefer, you can lower the entire enclosure into a large cooler and dump in vinegar plus baking soda to make CO2 for 10 to 15 minutes to knock them out. After that, rehouse as needed. Those shortcuts carry a slight risk but the bottom line is that when push comes to shove, you CAN control that tarantula IF you plan ahead and stay calm.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
The thing is that almost any T can be cooled to 60 or maybe 55 degrees and then dealt with as needed. Or, if you prefer, you can lower the entire enclosure into a large cooler and dump in vinegar plus baking soda to make CO2 for 10 to 15 minutes to knock them out. After that, rehouse as needed. Those shortcuts carry a slight risk but the bottom line is that when push comes to shove, you CAN control that tarantula IF you plan ahead and stay calm.
You realize that many of the subtropical species will die if you cool them down to 55 degrees? Terrible advice yet again. Also, if you need a solution of vinegar and CO2 to knock your spiders out for every rehouse...you really shouldn't even own those species. Thats just ridiculous man.

Cas S

Arachnoknight
You realize that many of the subtropical species will die if you cool them down to 55 degrees? Terrible advice yet again. Also, if you need a solution of vinegar and CO2 to knock your spiders out for every rehouse...you really shouldn't even own those species. Thats just ridiculous man.
I also dont agree about the cooling to 55 and the CO2, but thats kinda harsh. I could cool to less freezing temps right?

Last edited:

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
I agree about the cooling to 55 and the CO2, but thats kinda harsh. I could cool to less freezing temps right?
You shouldn't ever need to cool down your spiders for a rehouse, period. If you don't feel comfortable with it as is, your not ready yet.

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
Phormictopus are great defensive new worlds, although they are quite pissy and don't run away much but at least they aren't a species with highly toxic venom or teleporters.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
@Cas S I read through this thread and noticed how you asked about one of the most underrated tarantula's around the stunningly beautiful Lasiodorides polycuspulatus, Well let me tell you if you have the opportunity to acquire one then do it they aren't really intermediate more advanced beginner if that makes sense. Mine as a fantastic appetite it's always out and about , it's growing pretty quickly and gets more beautiful with each moult, the reason i don't class them as true intermediate species is because they are generally tolerant and mine as never and i mean never flicked hair but will threat posture if i disturb it at the wrong time like any other tarantula will. They are easy to keep as i keep mine like a Grammostola with a little moisture from an overflowing waterdish now and then, they also tend to be on the rarer side. Here's my juvenile IMG_20180512_145921270.jpg IMG_20180512_145856407.jpg

Element

Arachnopeon
Man I totally understand wanting to move to an intermediate T because I’m doing the same things right now and looking at a lot of the same species. These people are giving pretty good advice on species to look for. I personally want to get into OW T’s but I want to be ready for that responsibility for it. The intermediate T’s these guys are recommending are great choices to prep you!

The GBB you have will be an awesome addition to help you grow as a keeper. Mine is just now starting to get a little more goofy as it’s putting on size, but it’s not so quick that I can’t handle it. So I think it’s a safe transition into some of the more intermediate T’s

As far as getting into intermediate T’s, I couldn’t recommend Psalmopoeus species more! I have a P Cambridgei and it’s been a joy! I’ve been so impressed with its speed and attitude. It’s not mean but mine seems to be curious when I do stuff in the tank like sprinkle water or pull a bolus (bolts it’s front legs out of the hide and then back in at blinding speeds). I can definitely attest to it prepping you for a Pokie. Ive rehoused 15 different pokies (my friend owns them and has let me work with them) the cambridgei was harder to rehouse and more unpredictable and in my opinion faster. But it doesn’t have a “nasty” bite. As to the coloration it is subtle but a real beauty.

I have an Ephebopus Murinus on the way so I can’t comment too much on the species but I wanted a pet hole so that I could learn how to take care of a fossorial with harder humidity requirements before moving to OW.

Phormictipus, Pamphobeteus or Nhandu are also excellent choices for Terrestrials (I only currently have experience with Phormictipus) but I find the terrestrials a lot easier to work with than arboreals in the first place. Just keep your fingers back and try not to disturb the T and be respectful of the animal and I actually think defensive is easier to deal with then a bolty/skittish T like Psalmopoeus Irminia.

If you want to move into OW like I want to you may look into these species but do your research first and make sure you know what you’re getting into and ask these lovely people questions so they can help you out.
Ceratogirus Darlingi/Marshalli
Harpactira Pulchripes
M. Balfouri

Hope that helps, especially from another person that is going through that same stepping stone!

Cas S

Arachnoknight
@Cas S I read through this thread and noticed how you asked about one of the most underrated tarantula's around the stunningly beautiful Lasiodorides polycuspulatus, Well let me tell you if you have the opportunity to acquire one then do it they aren't really intermediate more advanced beginner if that makes sense. Mine as a fantastic appetite it's always out and about , it's growing pretty quickly and gets more beautiful with each moult, the reason i don't class them as true intermediate species is because they are generally tolerant and mine as never and i mean never flicked hair but will threat posture if i disturb it at the wrong time like any other tarantula will. They are easy to keep as i keep mine like a Grammostola with a little moisture from an overflowing waterdish now and then, they also tend to be on the rarer side. Here's my juvenile View attachment 276149 View attachment 276148
ok, thanks for so much info, I will definitely keep an eye out for them!

Man I totally understand wanting to move to an intermediate T because I’m doing the same things right now and looking at a lot of the same species. These people are giving pretty good advice on species to look for. I personally want to get into OW T’s but I want to be ready for that responsibility for it. The intermediate T’s these guys are recommending are great choices to prep you!

The GBB you have will be an awesome addition to help you grow as a keeper. Mine is just now starting to get a little more goofy as it’s putting on size, but it’s not so quick that I can’t handle it. So I think it’s a safe transition into some of the more intermediate T’s

As far as getting into intermediate T’s, I couldn’t recommend Psalmopoeus species more! I have a P Cambridgei and it’s been a joy! I’ve been so impressed with its speed and attitude. It’s not mean but mine seems to be curious when I do stuff in the tank like sprinkle water or pull a bolus (bolts it’s front legs out of the hide and then back in at blinding speeds). I can definitely attest to it prepping you for a Pokie. Ive rehoused 15 different pokies (my friend owns them and has let me work with them) the cambridgei was harder to rehouse and more unpredictable and in my opinion faster. But it doesn’t have a “nasty” bite. As to the coloration it is subtle but a real beauty.

I have an Ephebopus Murinus on the way so I can’t comment too much on the species but I wanted a pet hole so that I could learn how to take care of a fossorial with harder humidity requirements before moving to OW.

Phormictipus, Pamphobeteus or Nhandu are also excellent choices for Terrestrials (I only currently have experience with Phormictipus) but I find the terrestrials a lot easier to work with than arboreals in the first place. Just keep your fingers back and try not to disturb the T and be respectful of the animal and I actually think defensive is easier to deal with then a bolty/skittish T like Psalmopoeus Irminia.

If you want to move into OW like I want to you may look into these species but do your research first and make sure you know what you’re getting into and ask these lovely people questions so they can help you out.
Ceratogirus Darlingi/Marshalli
Harpactira Pulchripes
M. Balfouri

Hope that helps, especially from another person that is going through that same stepping stone!
Yes, this definently helps, thanks for the book of info! :D

Cas S

Arachnoknight
New list

Carebina versicolor

Harpactira pulchripes

Lasiodorides polycuspulatus

Phormictopus sp. Dominican Purple

Psalmopoeus cambridgei

Last edited:

Cas S

Arachnoknight
Does anyone know anything about come of the rarer avics?

A. azuraklaasi
A. geroldi
A. urticans
A. veriegetta