Interesting Polymer Clay for Dishes

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
It's about time people caught on!

Not a bad idea for water dishes, but too much work and too expensive. I'll stick to the sleep of cups for a couple dollars.

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I did something similar for hides for my geckos. I created a tube system that allows them to climb and gives them an extra hide. Happy geckos. I never thought of using it for insects, but makes sense XD

Ranitomeya

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've tried using a couple types of Polymer clay to make furnishings for enclosures, but I didn't like the way it smelled as though it wasn't completely inert and it always retained some oily residue even after baking. If you put water on it, you may see a very thin film of it floating on the surface of the water.

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
What type of polymer clay did you use? I have had some that still smell slightly like clay after being baked but that leaves in a couple days. I have never dealt with residue ever.

Ranitomeya

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What type of polymer clay did you use? I have had some that still smell slightly like clay after being baked but that leaves in a couple days. I have never dealt with residue ever.
The polymer clay I used was Sculpey.

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Yeah I don't use sculpy for animal stuff. It has too much added stuff to it and coloring etc. I use a polymer clay that is pretty much the clay just fired in kilns except adjust slightly for ovens. Though it does make it useless for pot throwing