1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interesting article about medically significant scorpions

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by SonsofArachne, Oct 10, 2018 at 12:20 AM.

1. SonsofArachne

SonsofArachne Arachnoknight Active Member

Advertisement
    Here's the summary of the article: "Researchers have documented 104 scorpions spanning dozens of countries, providing a vital update to the global record of medically significant scorpions, or scorpions whose venom could be alternately gravely harmful or medically beneficial to human beings".

here's the link: /www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/10/181009102451.htm

After I read this in the article,

"How to go about collecting more reliable data? Ward said all citizen scientists can have a part to play.

"The first thing to do if you get stung by a scorpion is to stay calm," she said. "If you can, try to take a picture of the scorpion or put it in a cup and bring it to the emergency room with you. They can send it to a museum or somewhere where they can properly identify that species and associate it with the specific symptoms that you have. That's what we need."

I wondered if they would be interested in the sting reports on this site. Or would they consider it hearsay? Of course, it might not pay to make them aware of what's being kept privately in the hobby.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018 at 12:30 AM
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Arachno HoneyBadger Arachnosupporter

ABQ
    I have a couple “medically significant” scorpions from other regions of the globe.

No antivenoms that I am aware of, exist outside of their countries of origin, so I may be unable to give a sting report...

3. JoshBC

JoshBC Arachnosquire

Interesting read, thanks. I didn't know Leiurus sp. venom could be used to 'paint' tumors pre-surgery. Fascinating creatures.

4. Geb Arachnia Whitney

Geb Arachnia Whitney Arachnosquire Active Member

Of course, it might not pay to make them aware of what's being kept privately in the hobby.[/QUOTE]

I could not agree more. Once a government finds a potential cash cow, they hoard it for themselves. Isn't scorpion venom extremely valuable for medical research or something? Thought I read that somewhere. Anyhow, It's probably best to keep our personal discoveries away from the prying eyes of greedy politicians.

5. SonsofArachne

I could not agree more. Once a government finds a potential cash cow, they hoard it for themselves. Isn't scorpion venom extremely valuable for medical research or something? Thought I read that somewhere. Anyhow, It's probably best to keep our personal discoveries away from the prying eyes of greedy politicians.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking more along the lines of a government crackdown on keeping the more venomous species.

6. Geb Arachnia Whitney

Geb Arachnia Whitney Arachnosquire Active Member

I was thinking more along the lines of a government crackdown on keeping the more venomous species.[/QUOTE]

That too. Well, sometimes you just have to bend the rules a little...

7. SonsofArachne

LOL yeah it would be a good idea to keep it that way.