Interested in others experience with Hemiblabera tenebricosa (Horseshoe crab roach)

Camden

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I recently got some horseshoe crab roaches, and I love them so far. I've had mixed information though, one told me that they aren't picky as to humidity/substrate moisture, i've had another tell me that his died once he dried the substrate out. Right now i'm keeping the room pretty warm (around 80) with moist substrate and some leaf litter. Anyone else wanna throw in their two cents?

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I don't think they are all that picky when it comes to substrate. A little moisture can't hurt though if you want to play it safe. It says on Roach Crossing that they aren't picky about air or substrate humidity. I don't have any experience with this species yet, but that's how I've kept other burrowing species with similar requirements and they have all done well.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I recently got some horseshoe crab roaches, and I love them so far. I've had mixed information though, one told me that they aren't picky as to humidity/substrate moisture, i've had another tell me that his died once he dried the substrate out. Right now i'm keeping the room pretty warm (around 80) with moist substrate and some leaf litter. Anyone else wanna throw in their two cents?
I had 2 colonies die when kept with a dry substrate. Maybe just a coincidence and they died of something else. I now keep the substrate moist and have a thriving colony with many babies. Decaying hardwood leaves are a great addition and may be essential but I am not sure about that either. They eat them so that is a beneficial aspect to their nutrition and reproduction. I keep mine at 75 F. This species will breed at lower temperatures. I am not sure if too high of temperatures stops their reproduction. I would assume that they are more temperature sensitive that other roaches that thrive in the mid 90s. I have a ton of roach species. These are one of my favorites. Good luck.

Last edited: