1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interaction between Ts housed beside each other

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by DratzKennedy, Nov 13, 2017.

1. DratzKennedy

DratzKennedy Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    As my collection has grown, i have had to make different arrangements for space and safely keeping my inverts. I recently transformed my closet into a spider room (i will post pictures of my set up on AB soon). In doing so I have all of my Ts and scorps (seperated by genus) in close proximity to one another. My question is, have any of you noticed any negative interaction between your ts that were being housed right next to each other, or do you think they can even sense one another? My pokies like to hang out on the sides of the enclosure. Yesterday i noticed my P. Regalis and P. Metallica were right next to each other, but they did not seem aware of one anothers presence. I am curious to hear everyones experience with this.

2. Nightstalker47

Nightstalker47 Arachnobaron Active Member

Montreal
    Most of the time they seem completely oblivious to one another's presence.

However, if you have two mature spiders of the same genera housed in close proximity to each other you may notice some tapping/interactions. Never had anything negative come from it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. DratzKennedy

DratzKennedy Arachnopeon

Thank you, i was just curious because ive noticed their extreme sensitivity to almost everything else so i wandered if it would be a stressor for them at all.

4. Mojo288

Mojo288 Arachnosquire

My guys may as well be in their own worlds, but like @Nightstalker47 mentioned, you could have some tapping but otherwise they don't care (at least mine don't).

I personally pack the enclosures as close as possible while making sure the vents stay clear.

5. darkness975

darkness975 a Dream Within a Dream Arachnosupporter

The layers of glass/plastic/etc. siding blocks a lot of the vibrations that would be felt if the specimens were in the same Enclosure.

6. DratzKennedy

DratzKennedy Arachnopeon

Truth. It would be interesting to see the interaction, but not so much if it were to have negative effects. Interaction between tarantulas and inverts in general fascinates me. I cannot wait til i can have a communal, i am just waiting for tge right situation to arise or the right price for me to go for it. At tge last reptile show i attented, i purchased an H. Incei, there were two available for a good price but i was not thinking at all and only got one. I love the little thing already but wish i would have bought the other. ( though i do feel that it is more likely for cannibalism if there are two spiders vs three spiders) correct me if im wrong.

7. Nightstalker47

Nightstalker47 Arachnobaron Active Member

Montreal
    It was probably for the best, there have been several reports here about N.incei communals going south. Seems most of the time it ends with one fat spider.

If you want to try a communal, M.balfouri is the best option. Although it won't be cheap, they are the truest communal species available, with the highest success rates.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. DratzKennedy

DratzKennedy Arachnopeon

9. DratzKennedy

DratzKennedy Arachnopeon

Oops, did that wrong haha.

10. DratzKennedy

DratzKennedy Arachnopeon

What about the p. Regalis, i have heard there are a few different poecis that can be kept communally???

11. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

12. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

This is not true IMO. It's merely people stuffing Poki's into a container and getting lucky they don't end up with one large T.

They are not truly communal, but at times tolerate each other.

13. Moakmeister

Moakmeister Arachnobaron Active Member

Texas
    I'm wondering if a tarantula sticks its leg through an airhole in the wall, and the airhole is aligned with the airhole of another enclosure, and when the leg goes through it would get grabbed and bitten by another tarantula, leaving the victim with no choice but to sever the leg.

14. Paul1126

Paul1126 Arachnosquire Active Member

I've worried about this when placing two plastic containers next to each other, so naturally I space them out to avoid this happening as unlikely as it probably is.

15. spidertherapy78

spidertherapy78 Arachnoknight Active Member

Mine have made a tin can telephone and they are chatting. :troll:

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. DratzKennedy

DratzKennedy Arachnopeon

Thats hilarious.... haha I wonder what they would talk about !!!