Instar

JonArachnid01

Arachnopeon
What is instar ? Is it that important to know a tarantula's instar ? If I have a 2cm b.smithi sling who just molted a few weeks ago before I bought it and its abdomen now has a black spot, what instar is it now ? Thanyou in advance for the responds :)

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
What is instar ?
An instar is a developmental stage between two molts. Tarantula keepers generally describe tarantulas as the following:
  • eggs with legs (EWLs): the stage immediately after eggs
  • 1st instar (1i): after EWLs molt, they are 1st instar. Some hobbyists refer to 1st instars are as "nymphs," although this term is more commonly used for immature insects. (At this stage, they look like tiny tarantulas. 1st instar spiderlings can still be housed together, because they have not yet begun to feed.)
  • 2nd instar (2i): after 1st instars molt, they are 2nd instar. (2nd instar spiderlings will eat each other if not separated. This is the earliest instar when it is considered acceptable to sell a tarantula.)
  • 3rd instar (3i): after 2nd instars molt, they are 3rd instar.

This keeps going until a tarantula reaches sexual maturity, at which point you just refer to it as "mature" and not as an instar.

For additional information, see the thread What does instar mean?

Is it that important to know a tarantula's instar ?
The primary thing you need to know is that a tarantula should not be sold before it has reached the second instar, as it is fragile and has not yet begun to feed. Otherwise, it is more important to know the size of your tarantula so that you can house it appropriately as a sling or as a juvenile/adult.

If I have a 2cm b.smithi sling who just molted a few weeks ago before I bought it and its abdomen now has a black spot, what instar is it now ?
There's no way of knowing without having complete molting records. I don't know what instar any of my tarantulas are, because they molted

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
Knowing what "instar" your t is is useless and pointless info after 3rd instar.

Theres no way to predict or know what instar, or how many times its molted in its life.