Insects you really don't like?

MrTwister

Arachnoknight
Spent a few years on the tiaga about 1000km south of the arctic circle. During the two months of summer there would be literally clouds of mosquitoes, like you would be inhaling them as you drew breath....hated them then. Now I don’t mind, cause after that a few buzzing around seems minor. Hornets and wasps can f right off, flying arse holes.

Veles

Arachnobaron
Decticus verrucivorus, they eat everything.
For a species that is supposed to be omnivorous they show some.....nasty feeding habits.

NYAN

Arachnoking
I really hate Argentine ants. Stupid things overran my enclosures while I was on vacation and killed $150 in animals. Pretty sure they live under the house..

Last edited:

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Mosquitoes, and the mites that I suspect killed two of my centipedes.

Oh, and bat fleas. I don't hate them, I just get itchy looking at them.

CladeArthropoda

Arachnoknight
I may be the odd man out here, but I think mosquitoes get a lot of crap. Yeah, some are annoying and bite, but once you look past that they really aren't that bad. Most species don't even bite people, and of those that do only a few spread Malaria. How can you hate this groovy dude (or duddete)? This is Sabethes cyaneus. They have nice little mating dances and 0 Malaria.

And as to actually answer the question, none really. I have no hard feelings toward any arthropod. I can see good in anything with an exoskeleton.

NYAN

Arachnoking
I may be the odd man out here, but I think mosquitoes get a lot of crap. Yeah, some are annoying and bite, but once you look past that they really aren't that bad. Most species don't even bite people, and of those that do only a few spread Malaria. How can you hate this groovy dude (or duddete)? This is Sabethes cyaneus. They have nice little mating dances and 0 Malaria.

And as to actually answer the question, none really. I have no hard feelings toward any arthropod. I can see good in anything with an exoskeleton.
Props to whoever stood outside until one landed on them to feed, then took that photo.

Veigar

Arachnopeon
I hate unpredictable insects that can fly because I tend to get startled easily. See, spiders and scorpions no matter how venomous aren't a big issue for me since they're very predictable (especially black widows, sometimes I play with their webs to get them to think I'm prey so they come out of their hidey holes so I can admire them easier) however things like wasps/hornets I can't handle assuming the hornet randomly jumps and flies like a madman. Same with Cicadas, I tried catching one a few years ago only to have it jump like a cricket while it kept making those clicking noises and I swear to god I almost had a heart attack following it. Mosquitos are whatever as long as they don't bite me and I hate when they fly next to my ear as I try sleeping because that high pitched buzzing is very very unsettling.

To put it short, large moths, flying roaches, wasps/hornets, and cicadas. They creep me out. Also, some large black flying crickets too.

Beedrill

Arachnoknight
Personally, Ticks! It has nothing to do with the critters themselves. They are fairly "creepy" looking I guess, but not any creepier than some other arthropods. No... It's the bites. I may be allergic mind you, but whenever I get bit by a Tick, I itch off and on for MONTHS! It is literally the worst.

Plus, Ticks can carry a variety of diseases including Lyme Disease, Rocky Mountain Spotted Tick Fever, and other terrible crud. My brother got bit by one when he was 4 or 5 and he nearly died from some incredibly rare disease that almost no one ever gets. Plus I see those abused dog and cat videos and I can't help but notice that ticks are always a contributing factor. I realize that past experiences have made me biased, but I feel like I've made a pretty good attempt to understand the Tick and its place in our world, and I still don't like it.

Anyway, sorry about the rant. But yeah Ticks suck!! :sour:

Beedrill

Arachnoknight
Household roaches...

I think they are our state bird...
Back in my hometown, Seminole Oklahoma, we used to get these roaches that you would hear coming down the hall because they were large enough to echo as they flew. My mom HATED them. I always thought it was kind of funny though! :p

*hears small helicopter coming around the corner*

My mom arming herself with a can of Raid and a fly swatter: CHOPPERS INBOUND!

*Battle ensues*

CladeArthropoda

Arachnoknight
Plus I see those abused dog and cat videos and I can't help but notice that ticks are always a contributing factor. I realize that past experiences have made me biased, but I feel like I've made a pretty good attempt to understand the Tick and its place in our world, and I still don't like it.
I mean, that's not really the tick's fault. That's the owners fault for being an abusive jerk

Beedrill

Arachnoknight
I mean, that's not really the tick's fault. That's the owners fault for being an abusive jerk
Suppose I can't argue with that... God knows how many poor dogs and cats (and all kinds of other critters for that matter) suffer from ignorant/abusive people. Just feels like insult to injury you know? BTW, while I'm still on the "Mosquitoes are awful," side of the fence, I really like that one you posted the picture of! I've actually sorta considered keeping a colony of Mosquitoes before, but then I thought about how I'd either have to feed them with my own body or with some poor defenseless "feeder" and said to myself, "And where exactly are you gonna draw the line there buddy?" XD
Though I'm still considering Leeches...o_O

CladeArthropoda

Arachnoknight
Suppose I can't argue with that... God knows how many poor dogs and cats (and all kinds of other critters for that matter) suffer from ignorant/abusive people. Just feels like insult to injury you know? BTW, while I'm still on the "Mosquitoes are awful," side of the fence, I really like that one you posted the picture of! I've actually sorta considered keeping a colony of Mosquitoes before, but then I thought about how I'd either have to feed them with my own body or with some poor defenseless "feeder" and said to myself, "And where exactly are you gonna draw the line there buddy?" XD
Though I'm still considering Leeches...o_O
I mean, not all mosquitoes suck blood.

Lokee85

Arachnoknight
German cockroaches, ants inside my home (I don't mind them outside), may beetles flying into my hair or landing on my neck, gnats in my kitchen, fleas, lice, mosquitoes, ticks... I'm sure there are more.

It's not that I hate anything exactly ((except maybe German roaches and lice, I can't stand them and do everything I can to eradicate them if and when they pop up)). Most of them, I'm just annoyed by when they invade my home, fly into my hair, or feast on my body.

Wesley Smith

Arachnoknight
I know all of us here have a wide-variety of different arachnids and insects that we enjoy and like. However, I was just curious, which ones are there that you absolutely cannot stand what-so-ever? For me it's yellow jackets and mosquitoes. Yellow jackets make me uneasy, they're so aggressive and fast I just don't even want to look at them, gives me anxiety. I have a bunch around my house rn though and I'm not too keen on getting rid of them, but one just darted at me and tried to sting me.
German and American roaches, and really any other pest roach species. I keep Dubia and hissers so it’s not that roaches bother me, it’s the idea of them in my food that compels me to squish every single one I see.

CladeArthropoda

Arachnoknight
German and American roaches, and really any other pest roach species. I keep Dubia and hissers so it’s not that roaches bother me, it’s the idea of them in my food that compels me to squish every single one I see.
American cockroaches aren't that bad. They don't infest houses unless you suck at keeping things relatively clean. They mostly show up by either coming into the house from outside to escape the rain or from the drain. So if possible, spare I'd prefer to spare them by taking them far away from the house. And keep in mind I live in Florida.

German roaches are whole nother beast entirely. They can infest houses super easily. And can't even survive outdoors so releasing them is pointless. Show no mercy.

Wesley Smith

Arachnoknight
American cockroaches aren't that bad. They don't infest houses unless you suck at keeping things relatively clean. They mostly show up by either coming into the house from outside to escape the rain or from the drain. So if possible, spare I'd prefer to spare them by taking them far away from the house. And keep in mind I live in Florida.

German roaches are whole nother beast entirely. They can infest houses super easily. And can't even survive outdoors so releasing them is pointless. Show no mercy.
Living 5 feet from the wood line, American roaches are a problem. I’m a bit of a germaphobe and so is my mom so it’s not a cleanliness issue, it’s just that we live so close to the woods I think. I’ve only ever found a few in the house but everytime I go out at night they try to get in the house.

Ghoul

Arachnosquire
I have huge issues killing anything alive, I just dread it. Even plants. Hell, I accidentally squished a paramecium with a glass slide under my microscope and felt bad about it. :( Existance is pain.

Saying this, I hate ticks. They actually look kind of cute/funny up close, especially since I found out where their eyes actually are. Why do they always have to get on my skin in the woods? Who cursed these little arachnids into a life of blood sucking to the point of immobility and spreading dangerous diseases? I mean, I know nature did. But damn it.
Photo credit to Marcus George look at them eyes.

ShrapnelShark

Arachnopeon
I have a phobia for anything flying and stinging! But my true hatred falls on Ants,common black ants who invade my home every summer. Threatening my insect/arachnid collections and agitating my precious ferret! >:I

CyberSkully

Arachnopeon
I used to think it was all roaches until I saw those blue dubia. But the common Texas State Bird, aka flying tree cockroach. I HATE them. They are aggressive, smelly, invasive, and scary af when they dive bomb your head at night. ICK!!!