Insects/inverts you refuse to own?

NaCon

Arachnopeon
I’m curious to see what incects or inverts you refuse to own period, and why?

For me centipede hands down especially the more tropical ones, it’s something about the many legs and the antennas that freak me out.

Spiders fine, scorpions eh well I’ll see (some of them are beautiful though)

But centipedes just no.

spookyvibes

Arachnobaron
I mean I’m not opposed to owning a centipede, but I do think they’re quite intimidating. Definitely not in my comfort zone. Maybe one day though.

Grasshoppers/locusts are something I would NEVER voluntarily allow in my house. I think they’re vile and awful and I can’t stand them.

I don’t particularly like the idea of owning ants either. I’d be extremely paranoid that they would find a way out of the enclosure and dismember my other inverts. I do think they’re pretty neat though.

Non-native insects such as Dynastes hercules, they’re illegal without a permit in the US (which bums me out if you want the truth.)

Popillia japonica, not because I don’t like them, mostly because trying to keep a reproducing population in captivity would be a hassle from my understanding. But who knows, maybe I’ll change my mind and try to raise some in captivity. They are quite beautiful, albeit destructive.

Achatina fulica. Again, they’re illegal in the US. If only they weren’t so invasive, I think they’re so cool and would love to own a few.

Can’t really think of anything else. Most of the inverts I would never keep fall into the “I want one but they’re illegal to own in the US.” category.

Salmonsaladsandwich

Arachnolord
You know, I can't think of a single invertebrate I would hesitate to keep if I had the resources. There are really no animals I inherently have a problem with.

NYAN

Arachnoking
I’m curious to see what incects or inverts you refuse to own period, and why?

For me centipede hands down especially the more tropical ones, it’s something about the many legs and the antennas that freak me out.

Spiders fine, scorpions eh well I’ll see (some of them are beautiful though)

But centipedes just no.

HOW DARE YOU! Heretic! Centipedes are wonderful, just buying shoes for them sucks.

Salmonsaladsandwich

Arachnolord
Would you keep head lice?
If I had to keep them on my own head, i'd probably get sick of them pretty quick. But it is possible (albeit difficult) to rear lice under artificial conditions, so if I was motivated to put in the effort to do so, sure.

Ghoul

Arachnosquire
Of the common ones, giant centipedes. As animals they are awesome. They are lightning fast, venomous and very intelligent. Which also makes them absolutely terrifying. They are beautiful creatures, but I'm way too spooked to keep them as pets myself.

Grasshoppers/crickets because I don't particularly care for them and they smell I've heard.

For others, parasites, that would just be...weird to keep alive. shudders

Pretty open to anything else I think.

NYAN

Arachnoking
If I had to keep them on my own head, i'd probably get sick of them pretty quick. But it is possible (albeit difficult) to rear lice under artificial conditions, so if I was motivated to put in the effort to do so, sure.
Fair enough! To each their own.

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
Centipedes really aren't so scary, way easier to work with than many quicker tarantula species too honestly.

NYAN

Arachnoking
Centipedes really aren't so scary, way easier to work with than many quicker tarantula species too honestly.
Totally agree! Although I think I’m staying away from flighty Asian species after what happened last month.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
At least centipedes don't climb smooth surfaces. That's why I won't keep spiders with dangerous venom like wandering spiders - too much chance of them getting out. I am going to get some sicarius though, since they can't climb smooth surfaces.

I also wouldn't keep dubia's or lateralis roaches as pets, since I keep them as feeders. That would be kind of awkward.

Last edited:

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
I also wouldn't keep dubia's or lateralis roaches as pets, since I keep them as feeders. That would be kind of awkward.
I put myself in a weird position with hissers. I bought two, fed one to my T. stirmi, held the other one for too long and thought it was cute so I set it up an enclosure, then it had babies. Now I have like 50 hisser nymphs and I can't decide if they are friend or food :embarrassed:

I also have a little communal enclosure with some velvet ants and a couple beetles. Any feeders that land on the floor get to live out the rest of their lives in that enclosure.

As for inverts I wouldn't want to keep... Outside of pests and parasites, I can't really think of much. Wasps? Probably wouldn't want wasps. I'd love to keep bees though. Love me some honey.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
I put myself in a weird position with hissers. I bought two, fed one to my T. stirmi, held the other one for too long and thought it was cute so I set it up an enclosure, then it had babies. Now I have like 50 hisser nymphs and I can't decide if they are friend or food :embarrassed:

I also have a little communal enclosure with some velvet ants and a couple beetles. Any feeders that land on the floor get to live out the rest of their lives in that enclosure.

As for inverts I wouldn't want to keep... Outside of pests and parasites, I can't really think of much. Wasps? Probably wouldn't want wasps. I'd love to keep bees though. Love me some honey.
I've actually thought about keeping hornets - don't think I could keep a colony fed though. Maybe give them outside access ?

schmiggle

Arachnoking
I've actually thought about keeping hornets - don't think I could keep a colony fed though. Maybe give them outside access ?
The people I've seen who kept yellowjackets did just that. My main concern would be what happens in the winter--if they die or you can get them to hibernate that's great, but otherwise you have a warm colony with the cold outdoors and nothing to eat.

Ghoul

Arachnosquire
Like I'm gonna trust the person with the centipede profile picture :p
Jokes aside, they are pretty awesome but I don't trust myself with them. Anything fast and venomous gets a no from me. At least right now.
I'm in a similar position since I keep isopods but also use them as feeders for my tailless whip. Easiest thing is to just pick one particular species as feeders and keep others as pets and sell them when you have too many. It helps draw a clear line in your head if you struggle.

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
Totally agree! Although I think I’m staying away from flighty Asian species after what happened last month.
What happened? Honestly asian pedes vary between individuals like most deehani I have worked with were pissy and fast but my sp. mint legs is definitely calmer than my heros and polymorpha.