insect repellent

Radamanthys

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Malaria, such as yellow fever is much more of a forest disease. São Paulo is the biggest city in South America, there is no malaria there! There is a small to medium risk of dengue fever, but not so much. Why everybody think in Brazil we are apes that live in trees and forests are everywhere?

Oh ya I guess I should have taken note of the country he was from. Might be a slightly higher risk for something nasty.

Do they practice spraying to kill the larva like we do here in the US?
Same as above to Talken, but with an extra that yes, they do spraying and population education to control the mosquitoes. That last isn't so effective because... Well, because most brazilians are as stubborn as a mule. If they say a rock is bread, they it the rock just to prove it. What can we do...

Sao Paulo is actually reasonably safe in terms of Malaria. Yellow Fever or, more significantly for Sao Paulo and Rio, Dengue are both distinct possibilities.

Fortunately, Sao Paulo is a big centre with a decent medical infrastructure to deal with these diseases.

This message repeats in Portguese (I think... I'm a terrible portuguese speaker):
Bem vindo à Arachnoboards, jek. Descupe para meu Portuguese mau, mas aqui tem um poucos Brasileros. Talvez têm o conselho melhor para você, certamente mais experiência com seu problemas.
Thank you Ace for the correct information. The medical infrastructure isn't just decent, is very good in terms of private treatment. The public system is bad :wall:. But we can save you from the malaria if you need, but don't count too much on surviving a car wreck.

And your phrase would be: Bem vindo aos Arachnoboards, Jek. Desculpe meu mau português, mas aqui há poucos brasileiros. Talvez tenham um conselho melhor para você, certamente com mais experiências nestes problemas.

To the OP (I would post in portuguese but is againts the rules), the mosquito net is probably the best solution. Repellents are smell too bad and doesn't work for more than 1, maybe 2 hours. The inseticides, we don't know what they would do to a T. Better safe than sorry. Closing the window doesn't work, i know :wall:. The net is the best option.