Insect ID

Duriana

Arachnoknight
found this in my sink. Really interesting critter. Anyone know what it is?
IMG_1219.JPG

MatisIsLoveMantisIsLyf

Arachnobaron
Oh we call those "ψαλίδες" which translates to "siccors" I think..Theyre from a family called Dermaptera. I used to find them on rose bushes, very frequently but now I haven't seen one in a while,some of them are predatory (rare species) but most eat decaying plant mater. Like milipedes!

Salmonsaladsandwich

Arachnolord
Oh we call those "ψαλίδες" which translates to "siccors" I think..Theyre from a family called Dermaptera. I used to find them on rose bushes, very frequently but now I haven't seen one in a while,some of them are predatory (rare species) but most eat decaying plant mater. Like milipedes!
Most species are actually omnivorous, eating dead animals and injured or helpless arthropods in addition to living and dead plant matter.

spotropaicsav

Arachnobaron
Most species are actually omnivorous, eating dead animals and injured or helpless arthropods in addition to living and dead plant matter.
Soooo my seemingly irrational fear of "earwigs" as a child, maybe had some basis? If I was to keel over, it's possible they would take a liking to nibbling my ears...:eek: eh oh well in this scenario I'd be dead anyways and wouldn't care:p

keks

Arachnobaron
Soooo my seemingly irrational fear of "earwigs" as a child, maybe had some basis? If I was to keel over, it's possible they would take a liking to nibbling my ears...:eek: eh oh well in this scenario I'd be dead anyways and wouldn't care:p
My fear as a child has the basis that I was pinched by one of them in the age of about five years ^^. I still have respect :angelic:.

spotropaicsav

Arachnobaron
My fear as a child has the basis that I was pinched by one of them in the age of about five years ^^. I still have respect :angelic:.
Glad I'm not alone haha For me it was the name "earwig" that bothered me and what it could imply!

Salmonsaladsandwich

Arachnolord
The name actually stems from "ear wing" because their wings are shaped vaguely like ears. The whole crawling into ears thing was made up because of the weird name.

TylerFishman5675

Arachnosquire
They let off an extemely unpleasant odor when you grab them, pretty cool looking insects though.