Insect ID plz?

sekmet022

Arachnosquire
found this weird thing underneath a wooden board outside in the woods. Measures about 2 inches stretched out. Anyone know what it might be?Thanks!

Attachments

sekmet022

Arachnosquire
Its going to be a bit of a pain to raise thats for sure, their diet is so unusual.

sekmet022

Arachnosquire
Not yet, but i'm considering it. With their diet being unusual, its going to be a challenge to go out and find their food in the yard (im in torrance california, not much wilderness out here sadly). And i've already got my hands full with a huge nest of P. audax slings. I had to release a lone carpenter ant queen i caught as well due to not being able to afford an ant colony setup heh. Now that really sucked, since she was quite beat up (missing one antenna, two legs and a third being a stump ending at the knee) and it was questionable whether or not she would succeed in starting her colony.

The snakefly larva is currently in a terrarium with a black ground beetle that managed to hitch a ride in my dufflebag on the trip back from vacation up in the mountains. It was also the same location where i found the snakefly larva to begin with. Ironically, their diets are nearly the same.

If i do release it, it'll be where i found it up in the mountains, just need to wait for the weekend. Will decide once i poke around the bushes around here to see what the potential food situation looks like.

Last edited:

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Was this in Idaho? If so, that's surprising to me. The insect diversity that I see when I go up there is about zero. Maybe it's that you're in a different location than I usually go to.
Yup, found it inside a health clinic while I was waiting for an appointment!

The diversity of the insect fauna here does seem a little lacking at first, but there's plenty of stuff around really, if you know where to look! ;)

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
Yup, found it inside a health clinic while I was waiting for an appointment!

The diversity of the insect fauna here does seem a little lacking at first, but there's plenty of stuff around really, if you know where to look! ;)
Wow, that's interesting. Especially inside a health clinic!

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
In My opinion the fly itself would be easier to feed. Try feeding the larvae something like wax worms or silkworms?