Insanely Cheap T's in Thailand

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Steve Nunn
Hi Leon,
Yep. It's a sad state of affairs when the people who help to run some of the largest and longest running tarantula societies (the same societies who actively promote species preservation in the wild, protecting them from smugglers) are at the forefront of the spider smuggling trade.

What a funny world we live in.......don't buy off anyone who looks like this

:cool:
LOL
Steve
I doubt they have smuggled out to sell for profit as Baumgarten and others done. Thats a big difference. I have recieved arachnids from abroad, so should I be branded with a big "S" in my forehead? Come on...
The ones that should be called smugglers are the ones that make profit on huge amounts of spiders that are catched and smuggled out poorly packed to abroad.

/Lelle

Pattarawut

Arachnopeon
Sorry Ryan Bridgman!!!
I want to say that you are misunderstand with T's price in Thailand (or you miscommunication with Thailand T's Dealer).
The real price are
Adult Female H.Lividum - 250 baht
Adult Female Thai Black - at least 200-300 baht
Adult Female Malaysian Earth Tiger -1500 baht
Adult Female 'Chinese' Black - at least 200-300 baht
Adult Female P.Murinus - 2500 baht
Adult Female P.Regalis - 1300 baht
B.Smithi (no consider with it size) - around 1000-3000 baht
(Sorry I don't convert U$D)

All those prices are the real price that I check frequently at Jatujuk market, Thailand. Both H. lividium and H. minax have very low price in THailand. Which shop did you been? Do you ask dealer by your self? or via translator?
I live in here so I think I must know exactly price of T's in here.
That's true.
Best Regards.
Pattarawut

Ryan Bridgman

Arachnopeon
No way did I make a mistake - unless the seller had an associated scam those were the prices. I have lived in Thailand before, own a property there and speak conversational Thai (good for a 'farang' anyway) and there is no mistake with the price. Maybe the seller quoted the other T's so cheap because the 1st one I asked about was the Smithi and he was charging a ridiculous amount for that? Just a thought but those were definitely the prices

Ryan Bridgman

Arachnopeon
To be honest unless you live in Thailand it won't affect you anyway as the shipping/customs fee will negate the cheap retail prices.

Tescos

Banned
Old Timer
Originally posted by Martin H.
Hi,

+ Aphonopelma albiceps and Aphonopelma pallidum – according to www.wisia.de and www.cites.org.

They also list "Brachypelmides klaasi" but according to Platnicks's WSC this is just a synonym of Brachypelma klaasi.

all the best,
Martin
I didn´t know that about the Aphonopelma specs Martin .Cheers for the info.Can you tell be when they were added to CITES?

Chris

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
www.cites.org:

Taxonomy of the genus Brachypelma
1. Notification to the Parties No. 1998/29 of 30 June 1998 provided the Parties with details of the taxonomy of the genus Brachypelma and the species that were covered by the Convention following the inclusion of this taxon in Appendix II.
2. At its 11th meeting, the Conference of the Parties adopted document Doc. 11.11.4.2, requesting the Secretariat to re-issue the Notification referred to above, with some additional information.
3. The following 17 taxa are considered to be covered by the inclusion of Brachypelma spp. in Appendix II.
Aphonopelma albiceps (Pocock, 1903)
Aphonopelma pallidum (Pickard-Cambridge, 1897)
Brachypelma albopilosum Valerio, 1980
Brachypelma angustum Valerio, 1980
Brachypelma auratum Schmidt, 1992
Brachypelma aureoceps (Chamberlin, 1917)
Brachypelma baumgarteni Smith, 1993
Brachypelma boehmei Schmidt & Klaas, 1994
Brachypelma embrithes (Chamberlin & Ivie, 1936)
Brachypelma emilia (White, 1856)
Brachypelma epicureanum (Chamberlin, 1925)
Brachypelma fossorium Valerio, 1980
Brachypelma mesomelas (Pickard-Cambridge, 1892)
Brachypelma sabulosum (Pickard-Cambridge, 1897)
Brachypelma smithi (Pickard-Cambridge, 1897) (includes the synonyms Brachypelma annitha and Brachypelma harmorii)
Brachypelma vagans (Ausserer, 1875)
Brachypelmides klaasi Schmidt & Krause, 1994
4. Brachypelma andrewi is a synonym of Euathlus truncatus, a species not subject to the provisions of the Convention.

Pattarawut

Arachnopeon
I really want to see those shop that you recommend.
In the same way, to be honesty, I found that in north and Northest of Thailand I can find H. minax and H. lividium have price around 20-50 baht as you said. But in the case of other tarantulas that came from america I can not see cheap price avalaible now. I don't kidding but I want to know those shop in Jatujuk market for buy tarantulas. Please help.
Thank You.

Ryan Bridgman

Arachnopeon
I don't think the shop had a name - you know Chatuchak everything is just randomly assembled together! I do know that it was definitely a shop with fans etc (not the usual stalls) and it was in the 2nd section of Chatuchak (you know you come in the entrance and walk a bit and then you come to a 'road' where delivery vehicles can drive and after that there are more shops?). Well it is in that 2nd section (there were a few invert shops there and the stall next door was selling hissing cockroaches).

By the way none of the American species were cheap - the B.Smithi was outrageously expensive but the Thai, Asian and African Species were very cheap