Information on Phrynus marginemaculatus

Phasitron477

Arachnopeon
Hey guys,

I've been wanting to get a couple whip-spiders (Amblypygi) for a while now, and I'm considering two species: Damon diadema or Phrynus marginemaculatus. I've been able to find quite a bit of information on the former, but the latter I've been unable to find anything on save for some academic texts. Anyone know anything about keeping this species? How does their temperment/likeliness to pinch compare to D. diadema? Also, which one does better when there are multiple individuals in the same housing?

Thanks for any information you guys have,
Luke

Last edited:

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
You can keep them basically like D. diadema, just with a smaller enclosure and higher humidity. You can get away with keeping P. marginemaculatus communally without a super high risk, whereas D. diadema are more likely to cannibalize, but if lots of hides are provided (and they should be) with plenty of space, you can keep several individuals of either species together. P. marginemaculatus are pretty mellow from what I've seen and I'm not sure if they'd really even be able to pinch you unless you got a large individual that got a little bit lucky.

Phasitron477

Arachnopeon
Awesome, thanks! Are the Florida ones also like the Damon in the sense they like lots of vertical space to run around?

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yes, they like having lots of vertical space to explore and it also gives them more molting choices since they molt from a vertical or slanted place.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
I believe that P. marginemaculatus is also more cold-tolerant than D. diadema, but I'm not positive. I agree with pannaking on everything, and having read about a few failed molts for P. marginemaculatus, would perhaps especially stress the humidity (but I have no personal experience, so feel free to ignore :) )

Phasitron477

Arachnopeon
Thanks to both of you for the information and advice! I've ordered a trio of the Florida whip spiders and they should be arriving Wednesday. I should probably also mention I'm new to arachnids, so I'm open to any other advice you guys might have.

Thanks again,
Luke

Daniel Edwards

Arachnoknight
Mine arrive Tuesday this next week. How large do these get? Would a 1 gallon container be large enough or would 2.5 to 5 gallon tank be better?

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Mine arrive Tuesday this next week. How large do these get? Would a 1 gallon container be large enough or would 2.5 to 5 gallon tank be better?
Enjoy! How many are you getting and do you want to keep them all together?