Info Avicularia SP Colombia metallic PinkToe

codicez

Arachnosquire
Hi guys!
I got a curiosity for whoever is owning a " Avicularia sp Colombia Metallica silver Pink Toe " .

I got a spiderling at moment, I was just wondering if in juvenile/adult stage it will show the pink toe.

I will attached the pictures of mine below...

many thanks for your attention!

Attachments

Last edited:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
My A.metallica has a lighter shade of pink/cream colour for her toes, but still pinkish. So i think it is possible, yes. That's a small little thing you got there. Can do with a nice feeding or two, i think. ;) not sure if someone has provided you with this info already but this link contains all you need to know to raise this species successfully :
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/avicularia-husbandry.282549/#post-2461396

codicez

Arachnosquire
My A.metallica has a lighter shade of pink/cream colour for her toes, but still pinkish. So i think it is possible, yes. That's a small little thing you got there. Can do with a nice feeding or two, i think. ;) not sure if someone has provided you with this info already but this link contains all you need to know to raise this species successfully :
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/avicularia-husbandry.282549/#post-2461396
Oh yeah Andrea! thanks for your effort again!

Yeah I read few post about the care of the Avicularia
She has plenty of side ventilation.. I ll post a pic below... are all around the enclouser 3 row plus 3 site with multiple holes... just few on top, I made so many cuz are really tiny( was scary she could escape)
I gave her to try a medium size cricket prekilled and from the night to day after I found him by pieces hanging on her web. After that I remove the big piece from the enclosure.
She has tiny water dish and I drop some water with pipettes almost twice a week(once every 10 days) I use cocofibre(mainly) with vermiculite ( not much )
Any tips? I will probably rehouse her soon... need to find small/nice enclosure.

I gave her mainly Bean Weevil, she didn t take at first but after couple of hours I found her with the insect in her mouth or in her web. Hopefully my english is understandable! =D

Attachments

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Oh yeah Andrea! thanks for your effort again!

Yeah I read few post about the care of the Avicularia
She has plenty of side ventilation.. I ll post a pic below... are all around the enclouser 3 row plus 3 site with multiple holes... just few on top, I made so many cuz are really tiny( was scary she could escape)
I gave her to try a medium size cricket prekilled and from the night to day after I found him by pieces hanging on her web. After that I remove the big piece from the enclosure.
She has tiny water dish and I drop some water with pipettes almost twice a week(once every 10 days) I use cocofibre(mainly) with vermiculite ( not much )
Any tips? I will probably rehouse her soon... need to find small/nice enclosure.

I gave her mainly Bean Weevil, she didn t take at first but after couple of hours I found her with the insect in her mouth or in her web. Hopefully my english is understandable! =D
That's plenty of ventilation and it's webbing nicely. Upgrade could be anything really, i think if you enter 'Avicularia enclosure' in the search function you'll get lots of ideas :)
Your English is fine. I'm not a native either, being Dutch ;)
At this stage you can give them pieces of crickets, pinhead crickets, red runner nymphs, small mealworms (crush the heads!) . Bean weevils are an option but they have lots of hard parts and not much soft nutrients. You can prekill anything, they'll scavenge.

cold blood

Staff member
" Avicularia sp Colombia Metallica silver Pink Toe " .
Now that's an odd conglomeration of words.....not an identifiable name....I mean, there's Avicularia sp. Columbian and there's metallica...but there isn't a name (common or scientific) utilizing "silver", and certainly not a giant mushing of the three....I truly wonder what species you actually have.

Metallica will look similar to the large pic you posted (btw, its against forum rules to post pics that aren't yours...those must be linked)......the difference is that its rump will have black hairs and the setae will be tipped with iridescent white.....they do have the same pink toes, as metallica is actually a variant of Avicularia avicularia...now known as morph #6.

Columbian (or kolumbien as some sellers list) isn't a species I personally keep, so I am not sure if they have pink toes, but this is a less common species and a real jewel....doubtful this is what you happened upon (but not impossible). @CEC has some great pics, he may be able to post here...otherwise peruse his picture thread and you will find excellent pics of this species.

Surround that wood (I prefer wood pieces and not twigs...twigs aren't really supportive and don't allow the t room to stretch out on) with plants. Avics love clutter...the more the better...it gives them plenty of hiding places as well as anchor points to create a really nice web....with what you have the t is forced to use the side of the enclosure just to make things work at a minimalist level.

Last edited:

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Avicularia sp Colombia Metallica silver Pink Toe
I'm assuming you mean Avicularia sp. 'Columbia' (sometimes listed as 'Kolombien') which is often sold in the UK under the common name "Metallic Silver Pinktoe".

Juveniles should look something like this PIC 1 PIC 2.

Also, it is against the site's terms & conditions to post images that aren't yours or that you don't have permission to use (you can post links to the images, just not the images themselves) so you might want to edit your post to amend that.

but this is a less common species and a real jewel....doubtful this is what you happened upon (but not impossible)
Thespidershop.co.uk currently have <edit>, slings pop up for sale there and through a couple of other sellers every now and again.

Last edited by a moderator:

cold blood

Staff member
I'm assuming you mean Avicularia sp. 'Columbia' (sometimes listed as 'Kolombien') which is often sold in the UK under the common name "Metallic Silver Pinktoe".
Never heard that...good info...stupid common names:rolleyes: That's one of the dumber ones I have heard.:wacky:

So then its probably not metallica.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Never heard that...good info...stupid common names:rolleyes: That's one of the dumber ones I have heard.:wacky:
TSS properly take the piss with them tbh, they Call B. albo (hf) "Pube Hair", G. actaeon/G. iheringi are both sold as "Pampas Tawny Red", P. sp. 'rufus' & P. victori have both been sold as "Careless Whisperer" :rolleyes::banghead:

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
Hi guys!
I got a curiosity for whoever is owning a " Avicularia sp Colombia Metallica silver Pink Toe " .

I got a spiderling at moment, I was just wondering if in juvenile/adult stage it will show the pink toe as this in this picture

I will attached the pictures of mine below...

many thanks for your attention!
I can tell by the sling pic it's a purpurea. Avicularia sp. Colombia is a variant of purpurea. Avicularia purpurea do not have pink toes. "Pink Toe" is a common name that is given to all Avicularia whether they have pink toes or not.

cold blood

Staff member
TSS properly take the piss with them tbh, they Call B. albo (hf) "Pube Hair", G. actaeon/G. iheringi are both sold as "Pampas Tawny Red", P. sp. 'rufus' & P. victori have both been sold as "Careless Whisperer" :rolleyes::banghead:
I don't now whether to laugh hysterically or cry:bored:.

I can tell by the sling pic it's a purpurea. Avicularia sp. Colombia is a variant of purpurea. Avicularia purpurea do not have pink toes. "Pink Toe" is a common name that is given to all Avicularia whether they have pink toes or not.
Ahhh, to have young eyeballs again. I wouldn't have even noticed....they are a pretty distinctive sling.

codicez

Arachnosquire
Thespidershop.co.uk currently have unsexed juveniles, slings pop up for sale there and through a couple of other sellers every now and again.
Yes is exactly from where I took this from... just cuz it shows as " Pink Toe " I was expecting the " Pink toe " characteristics...

Yep it say in the description that is a variant of the purpurea but in " silver " colour... I was just googleing pictures but I wasn't sure of exactly which it will be in juvenile " form " ...

So which is the species that is completly metal black with pink/salmon toe? The scientific name I mean... I'm new in the " hobby " .

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
Yes is exactly from where I took this from... just cuz it shows as " Pink Toe " I was expecting the " Pink toe " characteristics...

Yep it say in the description that is a variant of the purpurea but in " silver " colour... I was just googleing pictures but I wasn't sure of exactly which it will be in juvenile " form " ...

So which is the species that is completly metal black with pink/salmon toe? The scientific name I mean... I'm new in the " hobby " .
IDK? None I know of are black. Some can be in pre molt when colors fade but really not freshly molted. Some mature males of Avicularia avicularia variants can be a very dark blue and can appear black under natural or soft light.

Here is Avicularia aviculaira ("geroldi") female in heavy pre molt. Closes to black I've seen:
FB_IMG_1515367301344.jpg

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have to agree with CEC on all points, esp the geroldi. It's the only known Avic that may appear solid black as a juvi and adult. However light with show you it's a deep deep blue, with electric blue dorsolateral setae on the abdomen, again one needs the right angle and light to see this.

codicez

Arachnosquire
I will go to the Seas in Uk in Jenuary... I may will take an Avicularia Braunshauseni or the Peru Purple... Are the one I m interesting... also the versicolor "avicularia" caribena
Thanks for the help! =D

codicez

Arachnosquire
IDK? None I know of are black. Some can be in pre molt when colors fade but really not freshly molted. Some mature males of Avicularia avicularia variants can be a very dark blue and can appear black under natural or soft light.

Here is Avicularia aviculaira ("geroldi") female in heavy pre molt. Closes to black I've seen:
View attachment 262550
Yeah I probably saw a Geroldi that to me looks like blackish colour
Sorry for my curiosity...
How you can say that is " in heavy pre molt " is that any thing that is able to see by eye or is just because she is no eating since a while and colour get darker?.. =D

WolfSoon

Arachnoknight
Here’s an example of an Avicularia metallica appearing black-ish under softer lighting. He’s actually a faded dark blue. This came to mind when I read your question, but A. metallica is the only Avicularia I’ve kept, so I don’t know much. :shy:
Hope this helps rather than confusing. ;)

39775DE7-B0CC-4D25-8131-381B037A13ED.png

advan

oOOo
Staff member
I have to agree with CEC on all points, esp the geroldi. It's the only known Avic that may appear solid black as a juvi and adult. However light with show you it's a deep deep blue, with electric blue dorsolateral setae on the abdomen, again one needs the right angle and light to see this.
Also note Chase's correct spelling of the country Colombia. ;)

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Yeah I probably saw a Geroldi that to me looks like blackish colour
Sorry for my curiosity...
How you can say that is " in heavy pre molt " is that any thing that is able to see by eye or is just because she is no eating since a while and colour get darker?.. =D
Those are premolt signs, yes. It's a bit harder to see than with for example Brachypelma, but the abdomen gets shiny and looks a little like a grape, bloated.

codicez

Arachnosquire
Those are premolt signs, yes. It's a bit harder to see than with for example Brachypelma, but the abdomen gets shiny and looks a little like a grape, bloated.
So this in this video It should be the Geroldi? Cuz it looks really dark with pink/salmon toe.
Video is not mine,not sure if it's fine to post it... =D
Just to understand what I'm looking for

Thanks !