Inexperienced and unexpected new tarantula owner.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Got a plastic cup and cut it in half and then half lengthwise. Put dirt on top. Added more dirt. Cleaned water. Removed the big rock. She REALLY likes the hidey tube. Was NOT happy about being worked around and nudged.
Done. And good work, btw. Just wait a couple of days then offer a cricket :-s

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Got a plastic cup and cut it in half and then half lengthwise. Put dirt on top. Added more dirt. Cleaned water. Removed the big rock. She REALLY likes the hidey tube. Was NOT happy about being worked around and nudged.
That looks better, although the substrate is still a little low. (She may also find drinking more comfortable if the dish is relatively flush with the substrate.)

Be sure to remove any uneaten prey items by the next day. It's sanitary, and it keeps starving feeder insects from nibbling on your tarantula (particularly if she molts).

Hitsujiba

Arachnopeon
That looks better, although the substrate is still a little low. (She may also find drinking more comfortable if the dish is relatively flush with the substrate.)

Be sure to remove any uneaten prey items by the next day. It's sanitary, and it keeps starving feeder insects from nibbling on your tarantula (particularly if she molts).
Okay, thank you!

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
WOOHOO, she's eating a cricket!! Should I leave the other two in anyways?
I would remove one of the crickets if you can easily catch it. Three large crickets would be a huge meal for a tarantula of that size. (Once she has fattened up a bit, I would probably offer a cricket that size once a week. Their metabolisms are glacial, and so is their growth rate.)

Either way, if there are any crickets or leftovers tomorrow, I'd remove them.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
WOOHOO, she's eating a cricket!! Should I leave the other two in anyways?
Yay! Glad to hear she's eating and thank you for rescuing the poor little T and giving her a good home! :)

I would recommend removing the other crickets and just offer one once a week and remove it if it is not eaten. Do not be alarmed if your tarantula fasts or semi-fasts for months at times. An Aphonopelma juvenile that I got a little over a year ate just four crickets over the next nine months but had quite an appetite after finally molting. Even one of my T's that is supposed to grow quickly decided to stay in pre-molt for almost a year now. Just wanted to emphasize that since until you're accustsomed to the ways of spiders, it is natural to worry if they go a long time without eating.

Hitsujiba

Arachnopeon
So, I woke up to find she has kicked dirt in front of her little cave cup and spun WEB? The dirt in front of her cave is all webby. Is she able to get out? Should I be worried? Should I move the dirt and web, or was this intentional? I didn't even know tarantulas could MAKE web. She also ate another cricket. I change her water daily.

Hitsujiba

Arachnopeon
For real? They're spiders at the end of the day, uh :-s
Idk, I guess I was assuming only light spiders that can hang upside down on them and don't crawl around on the ground only do it. I'm really not understanding why she would bury herself in or if it's safe and she needs rescued.

ShyDragoness

Arachnobaron
So, I woke up to find she has kicked dirt in front of her little cave cup and spun WEB? The dirt in front of her cave is all webby. Is she able to get out? Should I be worried? Should I move the dirt and web, or was this intentional? I didn't even know tarantulas could MAKE web. She also ate another cricket. I change her water daily.
Idk, I guess I was assuming only light spiders that can hang upside down on them and don't crawl around on the ground only do it. I'm really not understanding why she would bury herself in or if it's safe and she needs rescued.
Shes perfectly fine ^w^ Let her do her thing! And start reading up on T's :) Thank you for saving the little beauty!

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Idk, I guess I was assuming only light spiders that can hang upside down on them and don't crawl around on the ground only do it.
Ah ah, 'light spiders' combined with 'hang upside down' is amazing. Amazing, kinda Escher or William Blake :)

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Tarantulas will very often barricade themselves in, there is no need to be alarmed. Some of mine have barricaded themselves in for several weeks - months even. They will come out when they are hungry. Just ensure that your little tyke has fresh water always. They do not eat very often and can go long periods without food. Water being available is imperative, though.
All tarantulas have the ability to web. They use their webs as anchors, to line the mouth of their burrow to alert them to prey outside, to barricade themselves in and to moult and collect sperm. Some species even produce prolific webbing structures, but not all.
My Aphonopelma chalcodes female is one of my favourites of all time and I have lots of different species. Some people consider them too common and boring, but I absolutely adore my girl. I would love to live in an area where they are indigenous. :)

Hitsujiba

Arachnopeon
Thank you for the help! I'm glad to know I'm on the right path. I can't say I'm ready to hold or touch one yet, but they're very interesting to watch from behind a terrarium. I'm thrilled to know I'm doing a good job and that she's okay. It's nice to learn new things!

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I'm thrilled to know I'm doing a good job and that she's okay
High Five Lady.
But promise me that, if you reach the level where acting like 'Jacko' in pure '80 among zombie is mandatory, you will upload a video :kiss:

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Thank you for the help! I'm glad to know I'm on the right path. I can't say I'm ready to hold or touch one yet, but they're very interesting to watch from behind a terrarium. I'm thrilled to know I'm doing a good job and that she's okay. It's nice to learn new things!
They have a lot to teach us and never cease to amaze me, even after all these years. This hobby is filled with people who used to suffer from arachnophobia - you are not alone. I think you will warm up to them, because of this experience.
Thank you for saving this little one from a horrible fate.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
If you think that webbing is impressive...

Check out what C. cyaneopubescens can do! Some Ts web more than others, but tarantulas use their webbing for multiple purposes. For example to help make sturdy tunnel walls in burrows and hides.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
And that's how they should stay. Handling is stressful to tarantulas and sometimes dangerous. They are best kept away from human hands. Great job so far.:)