Inescapable rubs and tubs - the ultimate list

StampFan

Arachnodemon
I have been reviewing tons of old posts/threads on various sites around centipede housing.

Here's the trends I saw:

There was a real move around 2003 where keepers were moving to rubbermaid/sterilite style bins. Over the next few years there was a TON of escapees from said bins, and a lot of folks moved to smaller jars/containers to enlarge their collections, and ensure an escape-free enclosure.

It seems in the last few years many folks at least on this site have moved back to bins, but I don't see the same number of escapee posts.

So I wanted to start the ultimate list thread for folks to provide and share what makes/models of Rubbermaid/Sterilite/whatever brand bins they have found that are properly escape-proof and have other good qualities (clear, locking lid, stackable, other features) for those who wish to keep centipedes but want to ensure escape is not an issue.

What bins do you experienced keepers recommend?

NYAN

Arachnoking
I use sterlite tubs just fine. Some of my tubs have a gasket seal, others don’t. I’ve seen Pedes pubs under the lid but not get over it and escape. I also use deli cups for smaller Pedes and one glass enclosure with a sliding and locking lid.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
I use sterlite tubs just fine. Some of my tubs have a gasket seal, others don’t. I’ve seen Pedes pubs under the lid but not get over it and escape. I also use deli cups for smaller Pedes and one glass enclosure with a sliding and locking lid.
Do you find there are some Sterilite tubs that are more clear/see through?

RTTB

Arachnoprince
Sterlite 32 quart deep gasket seal for my big centipedes and screw top all plastic jars(First Street brand from Smart N Final) of various sizes are what I solely use.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
Great idea for a thread!

One suggestion: why not also list designs which are known NOT to be escape proof. Maybe this could even become a sticky.

Here is one NOT escape proof design:

https://www.plasticboxshop.co.uk/craft-storage-boxes-c4/25-litre-multi-box-p4020
View attachment 284031
Wow, at first glance that enclosure looks like it has a double lip to help seal it.

I'm guessing one of the best storage box/tub is the one posted above, the Sterilite with the rubber gasket and latches to seal it shut.

Scoly

Arachnobaron
Wow, at first glance that enclosure looks like it has a double lip to help seal it.

I'm guessing one of the best storage box/tub is the one posted above, the Sterilite with the rubber gasket and latches to seal it shut.
That's why I want people to be aware of this design: it looks 100% because it is lipped, but it has a gap (think of a small u inside a big U where the edges of the big U are bendy allowing the centipede to fit between the gap between the small u and big U) Other than that they are great boxes, really transparent and pretty cheap, so great for Ts, but not centipedes or cockroaches.

If you were to fill the gap with something the pede can't chew through it might work.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
@NYAN and @RTTB inspired me to go buy 4 of these Sterilite totes with the gaskets to give them a run. Burned some holes, and they stack beautifully. Reasonable price in my mind as well. Had trouble deciding between the two sizes as there was an inch difference in height but went with the smaller one to save on space.

NYAN

Arachnoking
I figured I should add this most recent experience of mine as as a warning. DO NOT use tubs that do not have a gasket seal. I had a 9 inch arizonensis break out by squeezing under the lid. Lucky it was found. I am now going to switch over to gasket seal. I underestimated the ability of my pede and it nearly cost me. This pede lived in that enclosure for nearly a year with no escapes. These animals are able to find and exploit any weakness.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
I figured I should add this most recent experience of mine as as a warning. DO NOT use tubs that do not have a gasket seal. I had a 9 inch arizonensis break out by squeezing under the lid. Lucky it was found. I am now going to switch over to gasket seal. I underestimated the ability of my pede and it nearly cost me. This pede lived in that enclosure for nearly a year with no escapes. These animals are able to find and exploit any weakness.
Any comments about hole size in tubs for larger species like a dehaani or this arizonesis? Obviously smaller is better, but how big a round hole can one use for proper ventilation?

Last edited:

NYAN

Arachnoking
Any comments about hole size in tubs for larger species like a dehaani or this arizonesis? Obviously smaller is better, but how big a round hole can one use for proper ventilation?
I just use 100 or so medium sized holes.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
Another one? Man you're having terrible luck.