Incoming Cobras!!! (1.1 Naja kaouthia)

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Wow thats quite the story. Lucky for sure. I ask out of curiosity because i assume theres quite a decent amunt of risk even with proper knowledge and care.
AB understatement of the year. A human can move it's arm up to 110 mph. (Worlds fastest baseball pitch, 105 mph). Some vipers crank out at 450 mph.

Last edited:

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
AB understatement of the year. A human can move it's arm up to 110 mph. (Worlds fastest baseball pitch, 105 mph). Some vipers crank out at 450 mph.
With vipers and death adders, the moment you are in the strike zone you are under the mercy of the beast, they can get you if they want to. With fast moving elapids, you are always under their mercy as they can quite efficiently chase you down.

TheHonestPirate

Arachnoknight
With vipers and death adders, the moment you are in the strike zone you are under the mercy of the beast, they can get you if they want to. With fast moving elapids, you are always under their mercy as they can quite efficiently chase you down.
Thats gotta be quite nerve racking to think about while working with them. Are they typically more docile?

The Snark

Old Timer
Not really but unless you give them a reason to chase you, they are quite happy in their enclosures.
Give them reason to chase you... Between trying to stomp on them to simply living and breathing in the wrong place and time near them that's quite a broad area. What I find weird is the difference between two snakes of the exact same species in the same environment. There's a pair of Hannah's that simply observe curiously while their cage is cleaned while a same size and age female next door requires a spotter with a hook and very fast feet if anything enters her cage. She's eaten 4 potential husbands. Never can figure that out.

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Give them reason to chase you... Between trying to stomp on them to simply living and breathing in the wrong place and time near them that's quite a broad area. What I find weird is the difference between two snakes of the exact same species in the same environment. There's a pair of Hannah's that simply observe curiously while their cage is cleaned while a same size and age female next door requires a spotter with a hook and very fast feet if anything enters her cage. She's eaten 4 potential husbands. Never can figure that out.
Their enclosures are their ground, you enter their ground and being chased out is a fair game. The only snake that kept chasing me outside the bounds of the enclosure was an albino Naja kaouthia about 10 years ago, which proceeded to bite my boot but there was feeding involved in that incident. Smell of "insert preferred prey here" just completely drives elapids out of their minds. They become single minded killing machines then.

Kings obviously are a different game. They are smart enough to have decent personalities, which differ a lot from snake to snake.

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Last week's video was a strike compilation of all my cobras:

[YOUTUBE]hRwp5kRoZDU[/YOUTUBE]

Sentinel

Arachnopeon
You've got some stones on you to keep those, lol. How'd you get permits for them, I'm curious, never knew someone who kept cobras.

The Snark

Old Timer
You've got some stones on you to keep those, lol. How'd you get permits for them, I'm curious, never knew someone who kept cobras.
OP, you really need a post or web site that gives in depth details of your set up, your precautions, what was required for you to obtain the various permits, and your own self imposed limitations as to what animals you simply won't dice with. Maybe a new thread covering all that in full detail, step by step, section by section.

Give an example of what it really takes to be a semi pro hot keeper showing why the average person who gets the idea 'I'd like to keep a hot' is plain and simple a very stupid move. That their keeping is a full time job plus requiring total commitment to the health, safety and well being of all animals involved.

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
There is a permit system in Switzerland. If you follow the regulations, it is not that difficult.

OP, you really need a post or web site that gives in depth details of your set up, your precautions, what was required for you to obtain the various permits, and your own self imposed limitations as to what animals you simply won't dice with. Maybe a new thread covering all that in full detail, step by step, section by section.

Give an example of what it really takes to be a semi pro hot keeper showing why the average person who gets the idea 'I'd like to keep a hot' is plain and simple a very stupid move. That their keeping is a full time job plus requiring total commitment to the health, safety and well being of all animals involved.
You are right, mate. I will do something like that when I find some time.

johnharper

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
nice never kept any hots did manage to catch a baby pgymy once along time at a family lake not sure lol if i would be cormfortable knowing cobras was in my house

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Cobras are one of the most mysterious, fascinating, animals of the world. Nothing is like Cobras for me when it comes to the snake universe.
It's not a matter of size, venom potency, temperament etc nothing of that.
They are elegant, class, they are so.. perfects.

The Snark

Old Timer
I wouldn't consider cobras as the end all be all hazardous kept snake. They certainly aren't the loaded gun just waiting to go off like most crotalids. The best analogy I can think of is they are like kittens. Intensely curious of their surroundings they love to range around and explore. They are also a level above most snakes in that unagitated and given due respect they don't automatically go to guns and could range somewhat safely around your house. Although accidents would almost be inevitable. The rot would set in with Hannah though as they have an itinerary, are territorial and establish peculiar boundaries that can be unfathomable to humans.

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
I can certainly reach into a cobra terrarium and come out unharmed if I wanted to but that's not an option with the Crotalus or the Acanthophis. They do huff and puff, hood and make themselves scary but that's mostly bravado. In most cases, unless you smell like prey, you really need to piss them off the make them bite you. Spitters on the other hand are just pricks :).

As Snark said, Kings play on a different level. They are smart enough to become territorial, which differentiates them from true cobras.

The Snark

Old Timer
Snark's kitten analogy instantly made me think of viperkeeper's youtube videos of Elvis, his curious king cobra. Here's a long video of him having a stroll through the house https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liQIsKy3sdE
THAT IS A FANTASTIC VIDEO! That's exactly what I was saying about cobras.

Take note in the video. Elvis is in summer coloration. Blond-olive drab. Perfect camouflage when hunting in the tall grass. The white circumferential stripes barely visible. Then note when on flat surfaces the body becomes triangular. That is, after all, the triathlete of snakes and the fastest 'runner' in the world along with being an excellent swimmer and can take to trees like a vine snake. It adapts it's body constantly to the environment. Towards the end of the video it starts to get feisty. It's becoming territorial of that kitchen counter.

---------- Post added 06-14-2015 at 06:44 AM ----------

... Spitters on the other hand are just pricks...
{D{D{D{D{D I always forget about spitters when I think of cobras because... that pretty much sums up their personalities. Hissy fits waiting to happen.

This is a very young Hannah injured as mentioned in the video. The tail damaged up to the anal vent. I had hopes it would just lose the tail and survive. It has the same summer coloration.

One addendum about that video. Many people will see it and think they would want one. It would be so nifty to have one cruising the house!
One third of the deaths from snake bites are caused by king cobras.

I am not your friend​

---------- Post added 06-14-2015 at 08:17 AM ----------

This has got to be a rat snake!
Look close. See the white circumferential stripes?

Last edited: