Problem Inbox Full/ Site Hack Info

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
How is my inbox full? I deleted conversations (earlier AB PM system made much more sense). Are there too many messages w/in each conversation? I thought that didn't go against conversation counts???

Also, Dendroboard and another forum got hacked. Email addresses/ IP addresses were all posted on the internet sadly.

Here's the info via Dendroboard link (they are corporately owned if I recall now)

http://www.verticalscope.com/about-us/notice-of-data-breach.html

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I've been watching the VerticalScope (Dendroboards forum base) debacle. Similar to XenForo that AB uses. That hack was done server side and it was targeted due to the extremely large traffic volume. It is a bit of a piss off that VerticalScope did the lie and deny BS at first. Days later: Oh! Well maybe 45 million accounts got hacked.
Bottom line is it doesn't matter how bullet proof the program is if the hacker comes in the back door. That is up to the people running the servers to secure.

"The group said in its blog post that it was "likely that VerticalScope stored all of their data on interconnected or even the same servers as there is no other way to explain a theft on such a large scale.""

Anyway, it's cover yer own butt and expect this crap. The Snark as seen here only exists here. Nothing that can compromise my personal data is ever entered on this or any public forum. Think of the internet as standing naked on your front lawn.

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
The Snark as seen here only exists here. Nothing that can compromise my personal data is ever entered on this or any public forum.
Clicking on "Here" on your profile location jumps out Novara, Italy. Near me, somewhat :)

The Snark

Old Timer
Clicking on "Here" on your profile location jumps out Novara, Italy. Near me, somewhat :)
That is a perfect example of a Google security breach. That link uses your own browsing history. Use Google only if you are really into public CCTV covered body cavity searches.

edgeofthefreak

Arachno-titled!
Old Timer
That is a perfect example of a Google security breach. That link uses your own browsing history. Use Google only if you are really into public CCTV covered body cavity searches.
Indeed. In the last 8 minutes, you've moved to Toronto. :)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
But i use Firefox, not Google :)

The Snark

Old Timer
Well hold on to your privates. There's at least one hack out there right now that can hammer primarily Google tracking data and plot your normal daily itinerary on a map. Think about that before giving out any private data on the net. It can include what stores you frequent and how much you spend at them.

The Snark

Old Timer
To bring this home to the OPs issue. I noticed getting targeted web pages and advertisements. Because they were mostly in Thai it was easy to deduct they were using my other's browsing habits when she was connecting to the net from this computer's router. So I did an experiment and fired up the other computer with the firewalls disabled. Less than 24 hours later a hack program revealed, among other things, Arachnoboards ISP and my log on.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
So I did an experiment and fired up the other computer with the firewalls disabled. Less than 24 hours later a hack program revealed, among other things, Arachnoboards ISP and my log on.
You disabled the firewall included with your router or the software firewall on a computer connected directly to the internet?

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Also, Dendroboard and another forum got hacked. Email addresses/ IP addresses were all posted on the internet sadly.

Here's the info via Dendroboard link (they are corporately owned if I recall now)

http://www.verticalscope.com/about-us/notice-of-data-breach.html
Just e-mail addresses, IP addresses, and other impersonal information was taken according to the link. Not much can be done with that info and the effects can be quickly and easily remedied. In the year 2016, are people still thinking e-mail addresses and IP addresses are personal info? Lame. :)

The Snark

Old Timer
You disabled the firewall included with your router or the software firewall on a computer connected directly to the internet?
Nope! It was still on. Those built in generic firewalls can let a waterbuffalo stroll through with a little coaxing.

In the year 2016, are people still thinking e-mail addresses and IP addresses are personal info? Lame. :)
The problem is the sophistication now being used. Data put together to produce personalized accurate info that when coupled to a well made bogus web site can trick you into revealing critical personal details. From character theft to PayPal account tapping to assault / rape plotting.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
The problem is the sophistication now being used. Data put together to produce personalized accurate info that when coupled to a well made bogus web site can trick you into revealing critical personal details. From character theft to PayPal account tapping to assault / rape plotting.
Wow, that's a little out there with the little bit of info obtained from a forum site hack. All those security situations you described require highly focused attacks. A bogus website meant to steal information doesn't even require any information from internet users. That's done by some DNS redirection for starters. I'll give you my public IP address and my e-mail if you want it. All you're going to gain from it is who my ISP is and what city I'm in. I wouldn't worry too much about you showing up at my front door. :) Apparently, someone by the name of Joan38712 knows where I am as she keeps e-mailing me wanting to hook up.

The Snark

Old Timer
Wow, that's a little out there with the little bit of info obtained from a forum site hack. All those security situations you described require highly focused attacks.
Not really. They run a cracking prog that easily breaks MD5 password concealment then grab the data from your tracking cookies and try the cracked password on every web site you visit in less time than it took to write this sentence.

The Snark

Old Timer
Honestly, 'out there' is people thinking their security measures are sufficient and effective. Take the original OP post. 45 million accounts accessed. Say 1 in 100,000 people rely on the basic MD5. Now say 1 out of 100,000 of those use the same password on all their web sites. Now say 1 out of 100,00 have unencripted personal data like bank account info.
I can go down to Computer Plaza, Net Zero or 3 or 4 other computer malls in Chiang Mai and for 200 baht, $7, buy a CD with all the latest hack and crack programs. Some of those programs are even written by server admins augmenting their income.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Apparently, someone by the name of Joan38712 knows where I am as she keeps e-mailing me wanting to hook up.
She? How you can be 100% sure about that? That Joan38712 could been a brutal old school truck driver like "Rusty Nail" of "Joy Ride" movie, or in a utter worst scenario, a North Korean Elite "Kim" yes man :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Guys would you keep my thread clean please! I have inbox problems @MrDerangedI only have a total of 62 conversations. I thought limit was set to 100?

Not really. They run a cracking prog that easily breaks MD5 password concealment then grab the data from your tracking cookies and try the cracked password on every web site you visit in less time than it took to write this sentence.
Honestly, 'out there' is people thinking their security measures are sufficient and effective. Take the original OP post. 45 million accounts accessed. Say 1 in 100,000 people rely on the basic MD5. Now say 1 out of 100,000 of those use the same password on all their web sites. Now say 1 out of 100,00 have unencripted personal data like bank account info.
I can go down to Computer Plaza, Net Zero or 3 or 4 other computer malls in Chiang Mai and for 200 baht, $7, buy a CD with all the latest hack and crack programs. Some of those programs are even written by server admins augmenting their income.
She? How you can be 100% sure about that? That Joan38712 could been a brutal old school truck driver like "Rusty Nail" of "Joy Ride" movie, or in a utter worst scenario, a North Korean Elite "Kim" yes man :)

Last edited: