Inactive new hissing cockroaches?

emmasinverts

Arachnopeon
I recently bought 4 male madagascan hissing cockroaches from a woman who breeds them locally, and they haven't been doing much? I'm still pretty new with inverts and I can't seem to find anything on this. Is this normal? I have a heat mat in the corner where the hides are and its a 12x12x12 ZooMed tank. They're on a substrate of reptisoil and I spray the tank every morning and before I go to bed. They just sit in the corner where the hide is and every so often I'll take the hide out to make sure they're all alive and they are, but they never seem to come out. Anything I could do or is this just normal for them?

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Could still be settling in. Are they eating? If they're responsive when you disturb them, they should be fine.

SolFeliz

Arachnosquire
Could still be settling in. Are they eating? If they're responsive when you disturb them, they should be fine.
That's probably it. If they do respond when you touch them, and they are eating and drinking, they are probably all right. Try placing one beside the food or water bowl and see if they start eating then they are fine. Are their heads tucked right in? That means they are scared, so they are probably just settling in.

SolFeliz

Arachnosquire
My roaches do this, I have a cork bark log and all seven of them are in there all the time, with a few coming out occasionally. Yours will be fine.

emmasinverts

Arachnopeon
That's probably it. If they do respond when you touch them, and they are eating and drinking, they are probably all right. Try placing one beside the food or water bowl and see if they start eating then they are fine. Are their heads tucked right in? That means they are scared, so they are probably just settling in.
They do respond when I touch them and they ate a lot the day I got them (Thursday) and they do seem to be drinking fine. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't anything serious. Thanks so much

KingKarma

Arachnopeon
THEY are primarily nocturnal, mine always come out around 12-1am, it may be because the heating pad isn’t providing enough heat, and the moisture may be escaping as well