In over my head for a noob beardy owner?

Dandrobates

Arachnoknight
For starters the zilla slimline comes with a clear plastic strip that covers the bulb thereby reducing the passage of uv radiation. Remove the plastic strip if you’re going to use the ballast. Zilla bulbs were also recalled periodically for passing too much UV. Zoomed makes a superior product and their reptisun 10.0 bulbs are the gold standard. You don’t need to change the whole ballast just pop off the clear plastic strip and replace the bulb with a zoomed.

SpooderLady008

Arachnopeon
For starters the zilla slimline comes with a clear plastic strip that covers the bulb thereby reducing the passage of uv radiation. Remove the plastic strip if you’re going to use the ballast. Zilla bulbs were also recalled periodically for passing too much UV. Zoomed makes a superior product and their reptisun 10.0 bulbs are the gold standard. You don’t need to change the whole ballast just pop off the clear plastic strip and replace the bulb with a zoomed.
I see. So the Zoo Med bulb will fit in the ballast I have. Good to know. I just have to make sure I buy the right size Reptisun bulb....

SpooderLady008

Arachnopeon
Blaze this morning. Raised the lamp up because it was too hot for him ( discovered after a series of thermal tests ) Removed his lid for easy access. Tried to pull the plastic cover off the UVB ballast and succeeded....in breaking it off. Oops. Lol IMG_20190221_091345265.jpg IMG_20190221_091442184.jpg

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
He's certainly bright eyed and alert, all very good signs of a healthy beardie.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Get rid of that green carpet, use a good substrate for these guys.

Also, not sure you know, and you SHOULD KNOW, UVB the animal receives is a function of distance. Make sure your bulb isn’t too far away from the lizard.

also those bulbs don’t give off UVB forever, need to be changed out, even though the light still seems to be working, you can’t see UV.

Want to know a lot about UV go to a chameleon forum, not here.

Find yourself a lizard or BD forum to get more info.

Also there’s a great book on BDs believe by founder of Sandfire Dragon Ranch. Bob is a living legend, get the book!

You need a lot more info.

SpooderLady008

Arachnopeon
Unfortunately I have some sad news. Blaze passed away unexpectedly. I was at work. My boyfriend took him outside in his hand for about 5 minutes, then brought him back in under his heat lamp. He seemed fine until later he started having convulsions and passed away. The strange thing is he has blood on his nose....did he do something wrong or could there have been something unseen wrong with him? He feels so bad. I think he believes he killed Blaze somehow by taking him outside. :(

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
...what the... My condolences on your loss, but I really dont understand this. All outward signs point to a healthy beardie. Bright eyed, alert, active (for his condition), eating, defecating, no notable discharge or mouth breathing. Maybe something neurological?

SpooderLady008

Arachnopeon
...what the... My condolences on your loss, but I really dont understand this. All outward signs point to a healthy beardie. Bright eyed, alert, active (for his condition), eating, defecating, no notable discharge or mouth breathing. Maybe something neurological?
Me too. Aside from his paralyzed back end he was healthy looking.

However, about a few days back he had a bought of vomiting. After that he showed no interest in eating live feeders at all so I had to help him eat. Today he ate one small live dubia and I thought there was hope he would get back to eating on his own again.

There must have been something wrong with him we didn't see. Could he have possibly had ADV? ( Atadenovirus )

Dandrobates

Arachnoknight
That’s a shame. Unfortunately things happen beyond our control sometimes and at the very least you gave it your best.

zyphonix223

Arachnosquire
For mine I just use a tile bcs sand they can get impacted, carpets their nails get ripped out and paper is just not that great. ;-; hope this helps :)