in need of help

scorpanok

Arachnoknight
my Vietnamese centipede witch believe to be scolopendra subspinipes is laying eggs as I type this and I have a few questions

1. is there a way to tell if they are fertile or not?

2. how do I care for the mother and eggs in this time?

3. how long will it take before the eggs hatch into pedlings?

any help is appreciated.

Mastigoproctus

Centiman
my Vietnamese centipede witch believe to be scolopendra subspinipes is laying eggs as I type this and I have a few questions

1. is there a way to tell if they are fertile or not?

2. how do I care for the mother and eggs in this time?

3. how long will it take before the eggs hatch into pedlings?

any help is appreciated.
I'm sure they are fertile, they don't lay unfetial ones to my knowledge. Can you get pictures? Be carful to not stress her as they commonly eat their eggs. I'll walk you through all the care and process once we confirm its actually laying eggs and it's not just a male dropping a spermatophore, which they sometimes do and people mistake it for egg laying.

Mastigoproctus

Centiman
Yup those are eggs alright! S it just started laying them above ground like that? That's pretty cool but it's gonna be hard to not stress it during maintenance, just keep the humidity up as normal. Don't feed it of course and the eggs hatch in like 30-40 days.

scorpanok

Arachnoknight
she stopt laying the eggs as soon as I got the pics and ate the eggs is it possible she still has more inside her?

Mastigoproctus

Centiman
she stopt laying the eggs as soon as I got the pics and ate the eggs is it possible she still has more inside her?
How many do you think she laid? I don't really know if they can only lay a few at a time, I've just seen them drop the whole batch every time. That's pretty crazy she even laid them in the open like that, I'm guessing she had full intention of eating them because I've never seen one do that.

scorpanok

Arachnoknight
will do hope she will come threw for us and produce lots of little monsters :).

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've seen CB, unmated pedes lay eggs (infertile) before, and eat them very quickly after.
Usually you'll have to wait to see if they develop, which can take several weeks depending on species. The mother may eat the eggs, even if they're fertile. Supposedly, they do it because they don't feel safe, but I've had mothers keep and develop their eggs through a lot of commotion, and others that ate eggs despite being kept very quietly in the dark.

scorpanok

Arachnoknight
if she lays more and then eats them would it be best to try to get a male and pair them up?

Mastigoproctus

Centiman
if she lays more and then eats them would it be best to try to get a male and pair them up?
If you want babies yeah for sure, she obviously will probuce for you but I feel she needs to make a den so she feels more secure and don't eat them. you'll have to set up a few things in the enclouser to breed them too. IMO you should defiantly get a male, more babie centipedes in the hobby the better!

scorpanok

Arachnoknight
well I checked on my bothers male today and it past away:(. the female layed the rest of the eggs and ate them agen