In memory of...

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Last year I purchased this Cyriopagopus thorelli sub-adult female, who matured some months after. She bred with a male (Thanks Joe P.!), and produced an eggsac. The eggsac hatched and provided many strong spiderlings. This was the 3rd ever eggsac in the US, perhaps world-wide.
This particular female, last month, developed a hernia (so I thought), a whitish lump, on the right side of her abdomen. It grew as time went on. Just last week the lump ruptured. She was alive when I found her, but lost her fire and hate for me. She moved slowly, probably painfully.
My decision was to euthanize her. After, she still remains in my collection. I placed her in a jar with Isopropyl alcohol. Minutes later, where the rupture was, these tiny worms (1/32" in length) exited her rupture, trying to escape the burning alcohol.
This is the first pic I took of her.
john

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by LaRiz
Last year I purchased this Cyriopagopus thorelli sub-adult female, who matured some months after. She bred with a male (Thanks Joe P.!), and produced an eggsac. The eggsac hatched and provided many strong spiderlings. This was the 3rd ever eggsac in the US, perhaps world-wide.
This particular female, last month, developed a hernia (so I thought), a whitish lump, on the right side of her abdomen. It grew as time went on. Just last week the lump ruptured. She was alive when I found her, but lost her fire and hate for me. She moved slowly, probably painfully.
My decision was to euthanize her. After, she still remains in my collection. I placed her in a jar with Isopropyl alcohol. Minutes later, where the rupture was, these tiny worms (1/32" in length) exited her rupture, trying to escape the burning alcohol.
This is the first pic I took of her.
john

Sad, sad story. :(
But the pic won't show.

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
So sorry to hear of it, John. Parasitism is such an ugly and invidious thing. I'm glad you were able to breed her, so that something of her lives on.

Joy

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

John, maybe it is the type of jpg you are posting that wont let it show. If you have photoshop, when you save the image, under image quality change it to "standard" instead of "progresssive"... could be something diff. though.

-V

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Right click -> Properties -> Copy URL (Highlight and press CTRL-C) -> paste in address bar to view pic

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Out of curiousity, You'd had her over a year, and she'd produced an eggsac. Also, she molted you said. So is it to be assumed the parasite infection might be something she picked up locally? Or is it probable she could do all these things with this infestation? You might want to keep a close watch on your others..

Bill

P.S. - She sure was a hottie in her time :)

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
what a pretty girl....and what a sad way to go..
do you think it was a nematode infestation, like everyone was talking about some time ago on ATS?

Jobe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hmm, im not sure bout your site, but does the site you store your pics on allow external hyperlinking?

Because i managed to view the pic by opening the picture properties, copying the URL from there and pasting it in my exploreres address bar....

oops, tried putting the hyperlink here, but didnt work :D
edited out

Last edited:

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
there is no URL or picture or ANYTHING that i can see that even closely resembles a picture or a pic that didnt load.............i would like to see the pic though.......anyone??

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ooops.........spoke too soon!!!
thanks Vayu Son.....

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i dont know exactly how tarantula anatomy/physiology works......but is it possible for some parasites to be passed on to the young?

chaset

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Take Comfort

Take comfort in knowing that it wasn't anything you did wrong, unfortunetly parasites are just one of those evils of nature :(

pamandron

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi John,
sorry about your loss. She was a beautiful spider. At least you had the courage to put her out of her misery. And she did leave behind a legacy. Take care, Pam and Ron

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hey, thank you all!

Hey, you'z brightened my day, ah, er, night.
I don't really get attached to my spiders in the sense that I'm attached to my kitty cat Selena, but there are some in my collection that are sentimental. This C. thorelli was one of them.
To answer some questions, some have asked,
Kosh: I guess it would be possible for parasites to spread to offspring. Not as eggs but as nymphs. The parasites would have to get thru the webbing of an eggsac though. In my case, the sac was pulled after 30 days of first seeing it.
Pam: Yes, the babies you have are from this very
female.
Holley: Yeah, probably nematodes, they're extremely small, around 1/32" in length.
Conipto: I highly doubt it 'cause the rest of my collection seems fine. She is wild caught from Malaysia, where tarantulas are sometimes heavily parasitized with internal baddies. I'm not worried about the rest of my collection. I think it took a while for these tiny things to fester.
V-thanks buddy, for posting the pic. I still don't know what I'm doing with that yet. I appreciate it.
Again, thank you all. Wow!
john

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Re: Hey, thank you all!

Originally posted by LaRiz
Conipto: I highly doubt it 'cause the rest of my collection seems fine. She is wild caught from Malaysia, where tarantulas are sometimes heavily parasitized with internal baddies. I'm not worried about the rest of my collection. I think it took a while for these tiny things to fester.
So, it is possible for an infested tarantula to molt, and live almost a year with this inside of it? creepy..

Bill