1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Impulse purchased my first OW :/

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by CommanderBacon, Aug 15, 2019.

1. CommanderBacon

CommanderBacon Arachnosquire

Advertisement
    I went to the Reptile Super Show in Pomona last weekend and compulsively purchased two 2i Ceratogyrus darlingi. There was a sign at Millipedes And More saying 1 for $15, 2 for $25, and I bought two because they were a good deal.

I never even really wanted a C darlingi, and now I have two evil children who are going to grow obscene-looking foveal protrusions. I could have bought a Orphnaecus philippinus, but no.

So, please tell me about your C darlingi and share pictures of their horny bits so I can emotionally prepare for this journey. Thank you.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. Mvtt70

Mvtt70 Arachnobaron Active Member

Do you have any other T keeping experience already? I've got to say buying Ts that you don't know how to care for because you got a good deal is not a good idea... Secondly since you did buy them do your due diligence and research them google "C. darlingi sling enclosures" then when they get bigger do the same but exchange sling for juvenile or simply just "C. darlingi enclosures" and make one to fit the T.

3. Vanisher

Vanisher Arachnoprince Old Timer

I have no pictures on C darlingi, but i like the genus very much. I even bread them a couple of times! Give them slightly moist sub when tgey are tiny, and a deep layer of dry substrate, a corkbark and a waterdish when they are juveniles and adults

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  4. CommanderBacon

@Mvtt70 I didn't say that I didn't know how to care for them. Why would you jump to that conclusion?

I'm asking people to tell me about their own personal experiences with this species, not how to keep them.

*throws urticating hairs at you*

• Funny Funny x 5
  5. Mvtt70

My bad, its often the case on here lol. I have a ~5" female who I got probably 6-8 months ago at this size. Definitely fast but stays in her hide pretty much all the time, hasn't really burrowed though surprisingly.
    Cdarlingi.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  6. Liquifin

Liquifin Arachnodemon Active Member

My 3 are just skittish pet web-holes. They're out all the time, but when I open there enclosures they just run into their burrows, which I never really gotten any threat postures or any signs of aggressiveness from them. I see them kind of like my A. ezendami, but out more with more webbing behaviors. I wouldn't fret or be afraid of any C. darlingi, since they're much more easier to deal with than a majority of OW T.'s out there. Just stay calm and assess the situation and nothing to worry about at the end of the day.

• Like Like x 1
  7. CommanderBacon

That is one gorgeous lady! Is she mature, or do you expect more growth?

I love fossorials and look forward to keeping these guys, although it's kind of a weird jump to make into OW, I think. I was kind of expecting to get an OBT like everyone else, or to splurge and get an H puchripes, but here I am.

8. Liquifin

I'd take a C. darlingi over the OBT any day. The OBT is overrated, despite me having 2 OBT females. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  9. CommanderBacon

Do you mind if I ask to see a picture of your enclosures? Also, have you had them since they were slings?

The deli cups these guys came in are fine for now imo, but I'm thinking I'll make them little starter burrows and give them a hide and some foliage cover, since they haven't burrowed at all. They're really tiny babies right now and don't know how to spider yet, I think.

I also bought what I strongly suspect is a 2i Aphonopelma saguaro at the same show, and it's burrowing and active as hell in comparison, despite being 1/4 the size.

10. PrimalxTyrantula

PrimalxTyrantula Arachnosquire Active Member

B.C.
    I have a just confirmed male umv obt if your interested in breeding them :)

11. Mvtt70

I think she could probably gain an inch or so not sure if she'd be considered mature yet. Definitely would recommend darlingi over an OBT as first OW lol, though still others that are better.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Liquifin

I have one larger female (pet web and never see her) and one juvie female, but I'm not interest in breeding OBT's right now. And I already have a male OBT, but he's not mature yet. Also I only breed seasonally and I breed only specific species that I have or breed with people that I can work with. I don't breed big time, I breed only 1-3 species every few season for now, since college is time consuming along with other obstacles as of right now. So I'll pass on the male, thanks for the offer though. :smug:

• Like Like x 2
  13. CommanderBacon

I decided I was ready for an OW months ago, and had others on my list that I would have liked first, but I guess this is fine. It was cheap, and it's weird, and has that beautiful baboon spider pattern on its butt that I like. I guess I just got impatient waiting for baby Heterothele villosella from my friend's MM.

Saving up for a Sahydroaraneus raja, though. mmmmm

14. Turtle

Turtle Arachnosquire Active Member

Does that make you a new world T keeper? :D

• Funny Funny x 1