Imperator Heating Pad

Persian

Arachnopeon
Hello you wonderful people. I just recently acquired 5 Emperor Scorpions. Two are possibly WC male and female and the other 3 are younger captive and fat looking beauties.

I plan on keeping them all in large 20 gallon tank. I have kept a 8w heating pad for the two WC and they seem to enjoy bourrowing down to the heat source as much as possible. I noticed people saying that the heat pad should be on the side and not bottom.

Is this a absolute must to keep the heat pad on the bottom? I really really enjoy watching them and don’t want to block the view from any angle especially if I have my go pro recording. What will happen if I leave the heat pad at the bottom? Why does this seem to be such a big no no? I don’t see them burrowing in the side of the cage that has no pad so they seem to want to get closer to it rather than get away from it.

What’s your feelings on this? Anyone keep the heat pad on the bottom without problems?

Thank you

NYAN

Arachnoking
They will burrow downward to escape heat, regardless of where it’s coming from. If you decide to use a heat mat, it should be on the side so they don’t kill themselves by digging closer to the heat.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
@Persian

It should be attached to the side to prevent them cooking themselves. Frankly they aren't smart enough to prevent this. So place it on the side and they will burrow down to cool off or stay near the top to warm up if needed.

They will burrow downward to escape heat, regardless of where it’s coming from. If you decide to use a heat mat, it should be on the side so they don’t kill themselves by digging closer to the heat.

Last edited:

NYAN

Arachnoking
@Persian

It should be attached to the bottom to prevent them cooking themselves. Frankly they aren't smart enough to prevent this. So place it on the side and they will burrow down to cool off or stay near the top to warm up if needed.

Should or shouldn’t?