Impaction from coco fiber?

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Is that possible?

I recently got a nice batch of dubias, and I’m keeping them in an inch of coco fiber so they can dig. Problem is, the coco fiber sticks to them, even though it’s dry. They look dusty all the time. So if a tarantula eats one, can it be impacted by the coco fiber? Tarantulas can’t even ingest anything solid, right?

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
In my opinion, for tarantulas, it is more like drinking than eating. Thus I would say no.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Is that possible?

I recently got a nice batch of dubias, and I’m keeping them in an inch of coco fiber so they can dig. Problem is, the coco fiber sticks to them, even though it’s dry. They look dusty all the time. So if a tarantula eats one, can it be impacted by the coco fiber? Tarantulas can’t even ingest anything solid, right?
The coco fiber sticking to your dubias should cause no more problems for your tarantulas than the coco fiber we routinely use as substrate for them. They do not ingest solid food - they just liquefy and slurp up the roach.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Tarantulas basically eat by mashing up their prey, regurgitating digestive fluid over the mangled remains to further break down the gooey insides, and then sucking out all of the liquidy goodness. Anything that can't be reduced down to a liquid ends up as a bolus.

So, in short, no.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Tarantulas basically eat by mashing up their prey, regurgitating digestive fluid over the mangled remains to further break down the gooey insides, and then sucking out all of the liquidy goodness. Anything that can't be reduced down to a liquid ends up as a bolus.

So, in short, no.
I only thought they just relied on their venom as well as mashing their prey with their fangs and had no idea they actually rely on regurgitation too.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I only thought they just relied on their venom as well as mashing their prey with their fangs and had no idea they actually rely on regurgitation too.
As far as I'm aware, the venom is just for incapacitating the prey. The actual consuming part is done with chelicerae, digestive fluid, and a little webbing to stop everything from falling apart.

basin79

ArachnoGod
As far as I'm aware, the venom is just for incapacitating the prey. The actual consuming part is done with chelicerae, digestive fluid, and a little webbing to stop everything from falling apart.
I'm guessing it'll be a mixture of everything then as venom is usually in charge of both stopping prey and breaking it down. So with regurgitating in the mix as well the venom would be used again.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I'm guessing it'll be a mixture of everything then as venom is usually in charge of both stopping prey and breaking it down. So with regurgitating in the mix as well the venom would be used again.
A quick Google search on it only turned up these, the first link is for true spiders (specifically the methods used by orb weavers and crab spiders), the second link mentions in the second paragraph that the method used by tarantulas is fairly similar.

https://www.burkemuseum.org/collect...ntomology/spider-myths/myth-spiders-only-suck
https://www.thoughtco.com/what-do-tarantulas-eat-1968548

basin79

ArachnoGod
A quick Google search on it only turned up these, the first link is for true spiders (specifically the methods used by orb weavers and crab spiders), the second link mentions in the second paragraph that the method used by tarantulas is fairly similar.

https://www.burkemuseum.org/collect...ntomology/spider-myths/myth-spiders-only-suck
https://www.thoughtco.com/what-do-tarantulas-eat-1968548
Everyday's a school day. All I can think of now is that the powers that be need to make "The Spider" starring Jeff Goldblum so he can recreate the throwing up scenes.