I'm terrified of spiders

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Well sheeesh, thank you SO MUCH for this thread... I was just getting over my arachnophobia and then BAM -- scary PICTURES of wild spider beasts!

I see Ts as pets, fully grown they're like an 8 legged lightweight hamster or something. But the wild spiders -- not pets. Guess it's the fear of the unknown.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Well sheeesh, thank you SO MUCH for this thread... I was just getting over my arachnophobia and then BAM -- scary PICTURES of wild spider beasts!

I see Ts as pets, fully grown they're like an 8 legged lightweight hamster or something. But the wild spiders -- not pets. Guess it's the fear of the unknown.
The only "wild" spider was a cellar spider lass that had a body of prehaps 15mm. Beast ha ha ha ha.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
True spiders apparently know I like them because a wolf spider walked onto my trouser leg in the barn and an orb weaver walked down a tree I was sitting against and onto my head in the garden just in the past three months. I guess I’m a spider magnet Then way back in 2008 a giant spider at least a good 2.5 inches long ran across the front room of my apartment, but sadly I was still arachnophobic back then and my college roommate had to take it outside in an upside down glass with paper under it whilst I hid in the laundry room like an absolute nutter.:rofl:

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Tarantulas - not scary. Much smaller true spiders - terrifying. Ooooookay. I just don't get it, I mean most OW's resemble giant-sized trues, but they're not scary? I get that irrational fears obviously don't have rational explanations but I just can't get my head around this. Do T's slings scare you people? After all, they look pretty much the same as a true spider.

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron
Tarantulas - not scary. Much smaller true spiders - terrifying. Ooooookay. I just don't get it, I mean most OW's resemble giant-sized trues, but they're not scary? I get that irrational fears obviously don't have rational explanations but I just can't get my head around this. Do T's slings scare you people? After all, they look pretty much the same as a true spider.
For me it's the fuzziness that most true spiders don't have and the proportionately thicker legs.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Okay, I admit a fondness for the tiny jumping spiders. Esp those black velvet cuties. But those Australian huntsman spiders (may have wrong name) with that wide leg span -- they give me the heebie jeebies! And I hear they are FAST!

I had a tiny black velvet jumping spider on my counter for weeks (lived under a ceramic trivet) who killed all the tiny ants who invaded my kitchen that year. Now that was a hero spider. :) I kept seeing all these tiny ant corpses -- completely confused until I witnessed the tiny spider hero who was killing them. lol

Tiny jumping spiders ARE cute, you gotta admit. Arachnophobia or not. :)

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Australian huntsman spiders (may have wrong name)
I have a Holconia immanis, which is generally what people are referring to as a giant Australian huntsman spider. One of coolest, most laid back inverts I own, never bolts, will literally take food from your hand (I've done it).

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I have a Holconia immanis, which is generally what people are referring to as a giant Australian huntsman spider. One of coolest, most laid back inverts I own, never bolts, will literally take food from your hand (I've done it).
Braggart! I suppose if I had more exposure to them, I might change my mindset. But as someone who has only seen them in youtube videos running at breakneck speeds along bathroom walls ... well, shudder. (literal goosebumps thinking about them!)

But happy you have one and are enjoying it. Anyone caring for any type of species gets my high five! :)

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
I'm like this with some true spiders, can't explain why. But I love them anyway and will do anything to keep someone else from squishing them.

Dman

Arachnosquire
Nope and hell no.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I think I've found the perfect spider for those that don't like them. That's my Liphistius cf ornatus grabbing a waxmoth. Blink and you'd miss her.

Serpyderpy

Arachnosquire
I used to be terrified of all spiders. Something clicked really, one day. No idea what. I got into tarantulas, and slowly I got into true spiders, too. The movement of them still makes me a little anxious, just because my eyes can't follow them as fast as I would like, but I would be lying if I said tarantulas didn't have their moments like that, either. I think every spider is beautiful in their own way.

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
If anyone needs to see something fuzzy and cute after those creepy little spoods, here’s my idiot boy today at the vet. (He’s fine just choked on a piece of grass) AF3FA295-2F3A-4765-A5C8-B92CC8429CC7.jpeg

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
It's almost a non written fact that T's (and other Mygalomorphae, for that matter) are viewed as cute and fluffy, while those skinny and long legged true spiders as vicious and creepy buggers :bored:

Reality: the T's that we keep are rich as heck spiders, they eat on a regular basis plenty of good food in their restaurant suite enclosures, while that poor true spider hanging on the floor, eating a little half dead fly nearby the cellar, it's like a man that lost his house due to some banks & stuff trick, now homeless :writer:

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
Cellar spiders are fantastic.

She was a Deinopis sp aka ogre faced spider/gladiator spider/net casting spider.
They actually look a lot better up close when you can see the details and everything.
Suppose that's yet another reason why tarantulas are cuter, since they're big enough that you don't have to get close up to see the fine details of their coloration, their eyes, etc.

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
Okay, I admit a fondness for the tiny jumping spiders. Esp those black velvet cuties. But those Australian huntsman spiders (may have wrong name) with that wide leg span -- they give me the heebie jeebies! And I hear they are FAST!

I had a tiny black velvet jumping spider on my counter for weeks (lived under a ceramic trivet) who killed all the tiny ants who invaded my kitchen that year. Now that was a hero spider. :) I kept seeing all these tiny ant corpses -- completely confused until I witnessed the tiny spider hero who was killing them. lol

Tiny jumping spiders ARE cute, you gotta admit. Arachnophobia or not. :)
Huntsmen are fuzzy and cute, and they're super nice! Your fears are misplaced.

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
Huntsmen are fuzzy and cute, and they're super nice! Your fears are misplaced.
They’re just soooo fast and leggy! Which is part of the reason I’m creeped out by my own stirmi...looks just a little too much like a giant naked spider (which is kind of accurate...)

basin79

ArachnoGod
They actually look a lot better up close when you can see the details and everything.
Suppose that's yet another reason why tarantulas are cuter, since they're big enough that you don't have to get close up to see the fine details of their coloration, their eyes, etc.
That's human error for not taking the time to really look at spiders. I have Calommata signata. Now I can understand someone not think they're cute looking at them from the front with their massive fangs.

But look at that cute little arse.