1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm seeing a lot of conflicting information on how I should be keeping the substrate of my Ts.

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Major017, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Major017

Major017 Arachnopeon Active Member

Advertisement
    Can I have some information from experienced keepers in this regard? I have four species I have particular concern for:
    • Aphonopelma Chalcodes
    • Brachypelma Emilia
    • Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens
    • Pterinochilus Murinus

The reason I ask this is because I was under the impression that all of these Ts should be kept on dry substrate with a full water dish. I'm quite certain the GBB and A. Chalcodes are being kept fine on bone dry substrate, but I've seen conflicting information on the OBT and B. Emilia.

Any advice on all four? Thanks guys.

2. KezyGLA

KezyGLA Arachnoking Active Member

All will be fine with dry sub and water dish

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Major017

That's how I have been keeping them. Should I occasionally overflow the OBTs dish as others have suggested, or just keep it dry? Thanks.

4. KezyGLA

KezyGLA Arachnoking Active Member

You can overflow if you wish but its not necessary.

P. murinus is probably the most hardy and adaptable species in the hobby. Their natural habitat covers a vast stretch over Africa where some regions are a little wetter, but most are dry. Dry with a dish is just fine :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Major017

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

6. Devin B

Devin B Arachnoknight Active Member

I have a couple of those species and I keep them all very similar with bone dry substrate and every once in a while I'll overfill the water dish.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnoreaper Arachnosupporter

I keep the first three on the list and I have them all on dry substrate with a water dish, I overflow the water dish every now and again but that's it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Scourge

Scourge Arachnoknight Old Timer

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. darkness975

darkness975 Dream Reaper Arachnosupporter

In my opinion that title belongs to G. rosea/porteri. Some parts of their native range receive less than a half inch of rain annually.
    P. murinus is no slouch though, and definitely is up there in the hardy bunch.

@Major017 Dry with a water dish is fine for all. You can overflow once and a while if you really want but it's not necessary. I don't.

10. Ghost56

Ghost56 Arachnobaron

Others have already gave you the info you need but I just wanted to add a little personal experience of mine. I've visibly noticed anytime the water dish gets tipped or drained onto the substrate in my P. murinus's enclosure, she becomes slightly lethargic and alot more defensive. Granted I live in Tennessee so the humidity is slightly higher than some places, but I still wouldn't recommend anyone overflow their dish unless the enclosure is relatively large for P. murinus.

11. sasker

sasker Arachnobaron Active Member

They should be fine the way you keep them. If you see any of your spiders standing over the waterdish, this is a sign that they prefer at least some moist in their substrate. Overflowing they waterdish would suffice.

12. Major017

Thanks