I'm questioning my setup

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
The size of the enclosure is not detrimental to the Tarantula's health unless it is too small. If that were the case then none would survive in nature.
With a larger enclosure you just have to make sure that it is feeding. In larger enclosures it is possible for the prey item to evade the spider.

Add some more plants to the top for webbing but no reason to change the enclosure. It will grow anyway.

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
I added some plants to the top/side area. I don't want to add any to the actual top because that's where I open the enclosure and I want to try and avoid messing up her webs when I open the enclosure. Let me know what you all think. I have more I can add, if it needs it.

One image shows from the front and the other shows from the top.

Attachments

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
With a larger enclosure you just have to make sure that it is feeding. In larger enclosures it is possible for the prey item to evade the spider.
Because she hangs out in her log, I just drop her a cricket right down into the log and she jumps right on them. I think if I dropped them just anywhere, she might have a hard time, but I make it easy for her.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Also good to know. I don't think I washed my other ones before putting them in, but you make a good solid point here. I only have plastic ones though. I havent gotten any silk ones yet. Do you prefer silk or plastic?
With that question, I don't believe you have tried to clean off T poop that frequently. Plastic for me please!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Because she hangs out in her log, I just drop her a cricket right down into the log and she jumps right on them. I think if I dropped them just anywhere, she might have a hard time, but I make it easy for her.
She's trained you well already. No need to baby your pet, it's a wild animal, an excellent and PATIENT hunter. Throw crickets in and watch the magic.

Pay attention to abdomen size if you are concerned about whether it's eating or not, hydrated or not. Always keep track of how many crickets went in, and how many were eaten.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I added some plants to the top/side area. I don't want to add any to the actual top because that's where I open the enclosure and I want to try and avoid messing up her webs when I open the enclosure. Let me know what you all think. I have more I can add, if it needs it.

One image shows from the front and the other shows from the top.
More dense would be better, upper 2/3 of container.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
Like viper said, just toss one in one day. I can almost guarantee she'll get it if she wants it. There's a video of an avic on youtube snatching flies out of mid air that were nothing but a micro snack for it, but it just shows how great they are at hunting down prey.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Like viper said, just toss one in one day. I can almost guarantee she'll get it if she wants it. There's a video of an avic on youtube snatching flies out of mid air that were nothing but a micro snack for it, but it just shows how great they are at hunting down prey.
People that tong feed or spoon feed their Ts as a general method are missing out on the real beauty of nature. There are tons of tong feeding videos on YouTube, not only is tong feeding dangerous to your T, it's boring as can be. Might as well own a Pitcher Plant at that rate.

It's much more fascinating to learn just how sensitive their sense of touch is when they sense prey etc and come out. It's more stimulating than any man-made entertainment.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
It's much more fascinating to learn just how sensitive their sense of touch is when they sense prey etc and come out. It's more stimulating than any man-made entertainment.
It's honestly mind blowing how easy they can sense things. I accidentally dropped a cricket right above mine one day, and she was facing the ground. The cricket never touched a single thing, and she never spun around, but she grabbed it out of mid fall the second it was beside her. It really is amazing.

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
With that question, I don't believe you have tried to clean off T poop that frequently. Plastic for me please!
You are right! I haven't cleaned any T poop yet. ;)
She's trained you well already. No need to baby your pet, it's a wild animal, an excellent and PATIENT hunter. Throw crickets in and watch the magic.
I suppose she is patient, but maybe I'm not. I like watching her catch her food, but I also don't have all day. I'm positive that she doesn't need me to drop her food into the log, but it ensures I see the take down.
People that tong feed or spoon feed their Ts as a general method are missing out on the real beauty of nature. There are tons of tong feeding videos on YouTube, not only is tong feeding dangerous to your T
I have used tongs, but generally I drop a cricket in from the black tube that comes with my cricket keeper. All the crickets always hide in the tube, so I just tap one out into her log. I only use tongs when I want to feed a specific cricket for whatever reason. I was going by size at first, but now I just shake one in.
I accidentally dropped a cricket right above mine one day, and she was facing the ground. The cricket never touched a single thing, and she never spun around, but she grabbed it out of mid fall the second it was beside her. It really is amazing.
That's pretty cool and would be neat to see.

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
More dense would be better, upper 2/3 of container.
I'll have to play around with it to add in some more stuff. How do you arrange arboreal setups, if you wouldn't mind showing me an example? Im thinking of putting a bunch of sticks in or something because I don't know what else to add in.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
LOL, my Avics get plastic plants, but in the years I've had them, they've never pooped on the plants. They prefer the glass or their water dishes.

Kennyg

Arachnopeon
I think husbandry for slings is a little different, but I've never cared for any slings yet.
slings are just a bit more affordable for me, as well as my local supplier only has slings at the momment , i did consider getting a juvi but will take what there is.

when i started in the hobby a friend one mine was selling T's and almost everything i got was a sling so im a little used to them now after rasing a couple

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I'll have to play around with it to add in some more stuff. How do you arrange arboreal setups, if you wouldn't mind showing me an example? Im thinking of putting a bunch of sticks in or something because I don't know what else to add in.
Don't bother with sticks, your Avic will like some more of those flower branches you already have in there, and some more of those other plants. :) just add double the stuff you already have in there except for the bark. Think of the canope of a tree or a forest, and simulate that with plants around half way and up to the top.

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
Don't bother with sticks, your Avic will like some more of those flower branches you already have in there, and some more of those other plants. :) just add double the stuff you already have in there except for the bark. Think of the canope of a tree or a forest, and simulate that with plants around half way and up to the top.
I will definitely do that. I have another branch like the one I already put in and I have lots more green leaf stuff. I won't be able to get to it until Tuesday night or Wednesday though because I'm headed out of town for a couple days, but I'll update with pics when I get it done within a few days.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I will definitely do that. I have another branch like the one I already put in and I have lots more green leaf stuff. I won't be able to get to it until Tuesday night or Wednesday though because I'm headed out of town for a couple days, but I'll update with pics when I get it done within a few days.
It will do fine until then, nice and snug in its corktube :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't have pictures of my adult setups. There is no magic to it, but I do understand why it might sound there is. All I do is put about 0.5-1" of sub for a 12" tall setup, usually a flat slab of cork bark to serve as a lean-to, a water bowl at the front by the door for easy access. The plants are ZooMed, and I string them up so it's a bit dense. They like cork a lot IME, likely because it offers them a firm surface to stand/rest on.

LOL, my Avics get plastic plants, but in the years I've had them, they've never pooped on the plants. They prefer the glass or their water dishes.
Clearly gravity is not functioning the way it should in your home. You may need to call Dr. Hawking ;)

Last edited:

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
How often is it necessary to clean the poop off the leaves and walls of the enclosure? Also how often to you change out the substrate. The guy at the LPS said every 2-3 months, but I want to be sure that is accurate. He has 7 Ts himself, so I would hope he knew what he was talking about, but you never know.