I'm panicking...

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Okay, here's the deal. I fed Peso about an hour and a half ago. 3/4 inch cricket, I guess. I tossed him in live, and Peso brought him down and started munching. I was thinking of taking a picture (see my other post from today) but decided against it. I've left him alone since he started eating, but I looked in on him just now, and he's about 2 or 3 inches away from the cricket, and very little of it is eaten. Why would he waste precious venom to take a crick down, start to eat it, and then stop? Is something wrong? Did I spook him? Or am I finally getting pre-moult?
I'm trying to be calm, but I'm a little panicky, so the quicker the response, the less hyperventilation I go through.
Thanks,
The Rookie

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey Rookie. I wouldn't worry. T is probably just full. Or, may have been distracted. Is the abdomen pretty full looking?

Atrax

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well, now that you mention it..

His abdomen's a little porky, I must admit. It was only thursday since i last fed him, and I usually space feedings a little more than that, but I still thought he'd finish it. So your guess is that his eyes were bigger than his stomach, and he's finished eating?
Paul

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Very possible. If the abdomen is nice and fat, there's not much to worry about. I've seen it a million times. I would suggest removing the leftover prey to avoid mold or bacteria. Give Peso a few days (maybe 5) and try again. If Peso isn't in premolt, the prey shouldn't last long. If a molt is coming, Peso won't eat.
From what I've seen, T's don't usually kill their prey when in premolt, they just avoid it altogether. That doesn't mean it's not possible, just that it would be unusual.
I have an A. chalcodes that has consumed a grand total of 5 crix in the past 10 months. She's as plump as could be and no signs of a molt anytime soon.

Atrax

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Maybe the cricket kicked ths sh**t out of Peso till he let go. :D

I think your Peso just got his ass kicked by a cricket.. Just kidding Paul. I'm sure everythings fine.

E

Al Muoio

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I would leave the crix in there for a day. Its dead so it is no threat to your little guy. My guess is if he's hungry later he will eat. I know you are waiting patiently for that first moult.

Last edited:

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i wouldnt worry about it...it may have just gotten spooked by a vibration or a shadow or something..or it may just be full!!......my curly slings failed to finish their meal last week so i thought, like you, that they were perhaps in pre-moult...waited all week for a moult and nothing...fed them again yesterday and most of them ate again....so i guess they were just full last week........as for the ones that didnt finish their food last week and still refused food yesterday.....i dont know....but they all seem healthy so im not worried...i will clean out the unwanted portions this afternoon (after they have had a little over 24 hours to eat)....

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Al Muoio
I would leave the crix in there for a day.
That probably wouldn't be a problem. I would'nt leave it uneaten for much longer than that. Once they start to rot, the mold and bacteria takes over fast.

Atrax

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Musta been gas..

Man, what a crazy spider. He takes down a cricket, eats for two hours, stops for an hour, and then eats again. Yup, he's hunched over the body, and I'm assuming his enzymes are at work. Guess he just had a little gas, and wanted to take a break for a minute.
Paul

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
Rookie - ROFLMAO - spider farts! Whoo hoo! That is just too funny. Make sure he's got good venelation - don't want Peso gassing himself! :D

Gail

dilleo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
don't panic

Once my P. pederseni attacked a cricket and left it there. I didn't even notice until a day later and decided to take it out with some tongs. The cricket, let me add, looked in perfect condition but like it was asleep and not moving. When I went to pick it up it was just complete mush. I guess she wasn't hungry, but NO VISITORS ALLOWED!