1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm officially a grandma!

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by miss moxie, Oct 10, 2017.

1. miss moxie

miss moxie Arachnoprince Active Member

Advertisement
    I went to check on my C. gracilis communal and one of my females was out and looking rather...

[​IMG]

Maternal. If you look at the two males in this picture, they BOTH have a baby hanging out of their mouths. Animals. So I separated her to avoid more baby losses. Bummed out about the two I did lose, but that's just the nature of the game.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So, now that she's away from them, I've got a couple questions.

First of all, I've tried to feed my communal meal worms and wax worms and they weren't interested. But the males are eating so...is it the meal worms and wax worms they don't like? Or did they just eat the babies because they could? Should I buy crickets or roaches to feed the communal?

And about the mama, what do I need to do now? Feed her, obviously, and keep an eye on her and the brood but is there anything special I need to do? About how long before the babies begin to leave her, and when should I separate them? As I understand it, scorplings can be more prone to cannibalism but maybe I'm wrong.

• Like Like x 3
    • Love Love x 1
  2. Chickenfeeder100

Chickenfeeder100 Arachnosquire Active Member

KS
    im pretty sure that the babies will leave after they molt into an i2

• Like Like x 1
  3. pannaking22

pannaking22 Arachnoking Active Member

Congrats on the sizable brood! I don't tend to have a lot of luck with mealworms and waxworms, mostly because they don't really move around enough to get the scorp's attention. If you forcep feed then they work, but they're also rather fatty and not super nutritious. Crickets and/or roaches work really well for pretty much every scorp species I've ever kept (including all US Centruroides species).

I probably wouldn't try feeding her until her kids jump off. After that you can start separating everyone out. It'll take about 2 weeks for them to molt to 2i and start leaving. Scorplings are definitely more prone to cannibalism, so you'll want to separate them fairly quickly. Fortunately it tends to be a couple jumping off at a time before they all do it, so you can pick off the early ones before having to deal with a whole bunch.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. miss moxie

Ahhh, I just thought I'd read that scorpion moms feed the scraps to their babies but maybe I'm mixing up my tarantula knowledge with my scorpion knowledge.

Also, thank you! I have mealies and wax worms and super worms right now because I vary what I feed my tarantulas. I just got done feeding them crickets so I switched to wax worms and meal worms or super worms depending on their size. I just went ahead and bought some crickets online so when they get here I'll try those in the communal.

5. darkness975

darkness975 a Dream Within a Dream Arachnosupporter

Don't attempt a feed until the babies molt to 2i and dismount from her back. She will be fine until that time. You can separate them after that.

Good that you have separated her, although a bit surprising (and disappointing) that the males got in there and started cannibalizing so fast. I know you have not had the set up that long but still .. sheesh.

Anyway, keep her hydrated and congrats on the brood.

I'm not worried, I know you know what you're doing!

• Like Like x 1
  6. darkness975

It has happened in the past from what I have read, though my experience has always been they don't feed until molting to 2i and dismounting.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. miss moxie

Me too! I mean, doubtful one of these males are the dad so maybe that has something to do with it?

I just checked them yesterday evening, around 6pm, when I fed my slings and there were no babies but one of them I remember seeing in a little divet they dug into the sand behind the most popular cork bark piece (where they all congregate and snuggle) so maybe that was her about to start giving birth? I'm just hoping it means that they only got two and didn't have a chance to scarf down a couple before I caught them.

8. Scorpionluva

Scorpionluva Arachnodemon Arachnosupporter

PA
    Congrats on the brood miss moxie :)
    I would haver taken the rest of the adults out and left mama alone. Taking her out will stress her out more and the extra stress could possibly trigger her to eat her babies. Its a defense mechanism basically her saying " if you wanna mess with my babies then....chomp"
    There's mixed opinions on feeding mama while the babies on her back but in some cases especially if mama seems unusually aggressive or didnt eat much prior to birthing - i will feed them and havent had a mama eat her babies yet due to feeding her. Some mamas will eat their feeder while the babies will come up and take a nibble with mama and still have never seen the mama eat her babies due to that.
    But in most cases its best to wait til the babies leave mamas back before feeding again. Just make sure shes got plenty of water to drink as they will drink alot more than normal while carrying babies

PS is that the same female that has a missing foot and damage to her tail??????

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. miss moxie

Ahhh, should I put her back and pull the others? When I read about separating moms from a communal I didn't know they meant take the communal from the mom. Or is it just best to let her settle in now that it's already been done? She's settled onto the cork bark I put in the KK with her.

I'm 99% sure it is! I've been preoccupied with paying bills and have a crew at my house ripping out an old shower to put in a new one, so I didn't separate her yet as suggested. I guess your wish of having her giving me a brood came true.

10. miss moxie

Update: It's definitely her! I looked at the picture I took of her in the catch cup and there's her little footless leg!

[​IMG]

I've got my fingers crossed that she's able to poop but if her tail is too damaged then at least her legacy lives on in her brood.

11. pannaking22

pannaking22 Arachnoking Active Member

You've already taken her out so I wouldn't worry about trying to put her back in again. She'll be fine as is.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. ShyDragoness

ShyDragoness Arachnosquire Active Member

These are my dream scorps :wideyed: Congrats on the brood! Sorry for that losses

• Like Like x 1
  13. Cailee

Cailee Arachnopeon

Canada
    Congrats. But how do I post a question question

14. Scorpionluva

PA
    Yep just leave her alone now and all should be fine the less disturbances in her life right now the better but generally in a communal setup its better to disturb the others without babies and not big mama

You shoulda just called me and i coulda taken care of 2 of your problems
    ( helping you out on the mama with babies and taking care of your shower replacement ) :p
    I thought i saw the marks on her tail thats why i asked ya. And yes even if ( god forbid) mama is infact having poo issues - youll have some brand new babies to carry on her legacy as you so eloquently put it. I figured 1 of your females would have a brood as WC alot of the time come in gravid and wont birth til they're settled in and happy. Congrats again granny !!!!

15. darkness975

I would have separated the others like @Scorpionluva said but it's already done and she's okay and still has the babies so I would not risk moving her anymore. Just keep her hydrated and play the infamous waiting game for the next couple weeks until they start molting to 2i and dismounting.

16. miss moxie

What, you mean on the forum? You go to the forum-category, like Scorpions or Tarantula Chat, and at the right top-hand corner is a square button that says 'post new thread' or somesuch.

Well, I'd sell you some but...that whole international thing is a real bug in the butt huh?

Haha, okay. All I did was add a water bottle cap filled with water to her new enclosure, and drizzled some water on the cork bark and substrate. That's all I'll do now, save to add water if she drinks it all/it evaporates. I keep it rather dim in my room so there isn't a lot of light to stress her out.

Haha, I didn't know you did construction stuff! It's my parent's house, so my mom set it up after I finally got her to listen to me. They're separated and she lives with the neighbor man :rolleyes: so she doesn't really care what goes on down here. But whoever put the shower in the first time absolutely botched it. They didn't seal it correctly, there was poor ventilation-- it was an absolute mess.

Yeah, another of them has some -slight- damage but not to the extent of this mama. I guess she deserves a name since she was my first mama scorp. I'll have to think about it.

Anyway when I saw her and saw the males eating the babies I just wanted to get the babies to safety ASAP so I just sort of reacted without thinking to ask what I should do. My grand-maternal instincts kicked in I guess!

Got it. Well I'll know that for the future then. If you make a mistake, best to learn from it. As said above, I got her a water bottle cap in there and am gonna keep it filled.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Mila

Mila Arachnosquire Active Member

congrats on the brood. you can try feeding with tongs but dont just let the food roam free as it can push the babies off which will result in the mum eating them

• Like Like x 1
  18. Scorpionluva

PA
    Heres where i have a big problem with a waterbowl though. Once those lil babies start to molt to 2i and run around on their own even before they are ready to be put into their own deli's - the babies will run straight to a place to get a drink and before you know it - there will be drowned babies laying in the waterbowl. Granted i know its just a bottle cap but it only takes a very shallow amount of water to vacuum them to the bottom of it. I just hate to see you lose anymore of those lil cuties if it can be avoided. Ive lost way too many babies to drownings and all of the 1's that drown for me was in a nestle pure life water bottle cap ( which is about the smallest most shallow cap you can use )

Yes miss moxie i do construction lol mostly flooring but as my friends + family call me ..... the jack azz of all trades :hilarious:

19. miss moxie

Well, I'll just leave it in there for now for the mama to drink since she really needs the hydration and I'll take it out when I notice them starting to molt. I have her KK on the little night stand beside my bed so I can keep an eye on her anyway. I'll switch to misting the walls when that happens, and I'll mist the separated babies.

I'm a home body so I'll be able to keep a good eye on her and the babies.

Haha, that's cool! I've been looking into buying my own house and the most reasonably priced houses are, of course, fixer uppers. But uh...pretty lost when it comes to that stuff.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  20. RTTB

RTTB Arachnoprince Active Member

Congratulations. Scorpions have millions of years of evolved resiliency so just relax and enjoy.

• Like Like x 1