I'm looking for a new african species, please help

MapleMatt

Arachnosquire
Hi guys, I started my african T's collection with Hysterocrates laticeps sling. I'm now looking to add some new T. I don't feel very confident to handle the OBT, even that I really like him. I think, that it'll be better to get some more experiences yet before I'll make that move. I would like to ask for a tips for my next T especially from people experienced with African species. I will be glad, If You help me out to choose my new addition. Thanx everyone for contribution in advance. You can aswell add few notes to the genus U'll name here. I hope my collection of African T's will slowly grow Up;)

Ant

Arachnopeon
Hi, yes, previously I had Grammostola pulchra, Lasiodora Parahybana, Brachyopelma harmorii and emillia
Well old worlds are certainly a huge step from those species. What size is the H.laticeps sling now?

MapleMatt

Arachnosquire
Well old worlds are certainly a huge step from those species. What size is the H.laticeps sling now?
Second molt the seller stated. I know, that it may seem as a big step, but I'v studied lot of literature(i know that reality Is something else), and watched lots of of videos, I don't want it to sound silly as it may, but I'm extra careful and allways was even with the NW species. I'm feeling already enough confident to keep toxic species, just don't want to make a bad step and start with something super defensive or let's say too much agressive, even I know, that the personalities varyes. Thanx for help in advance

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
E.pachypus is in general very docile for an old world. I have never seen any threat postures from mine, they just runs and hides. A Ceratogyrus species would also be a good choice and IMO you could also go for a small P.muticus as they take ages to grow.

MapleMatt

Arachnosquire
E.pachypus is in general very docile for an old world. I have never seen any threat postures from mine, they just runs and hides. A Ceratogyrus species would also be a good choice and IMO you could also go for a small P.muticus as they take ages to grow.
I will také a closer look at these, thanx alot

sasker

Arachnoprince
I know, that it may seem as a big step, but I'v studied lot of literature(i know that reality Is something else), and watched lots of of videos, I don't want it to sound silly as it may, but I'm extra careful and allways was even with the NW species.
I know what you mean as I was in the same position as you. I think terrestrial baboons are a natural step towards more advanced species and you should be fine if you did the research. I second Ceratogyrus (I love my C. marshalli) and P. muticus. Only I would go for a slightly larger specimen for the same reason as @MapleMatt stated: they grow super slowly. A 2-3 inch P. muticus is not yet more than a handful, so you won't feel in over your head ;)

MapleMatt

Arachnosquire
I know what you mean as I was in the same position as you. I think terrestrial baboons are a natural step towards more advanced species and you should be fine if you did the research. I second Ceratogyrus (I love my C. marshalli) and P. muticus. Only I would go for a slightly larger specimen for the same reason as @MapleMatt stated: they grow super slowly. A 2-3 inch P. muticus is not yet more than a handful, so you won't feel in over your head ;)
Thanx, I'm already searching for muticus. Did You ment, that it Is a good idea to buy already 2-3 Inch T? I'm sorry, Im not native speaker and sometimes get confused. Thank You for response

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
Thanx, I'm already searching for muticus. Did You ment, that it Is a good idea to buy already 2-3 Inch T? I'm sorry, Im not native speaker and sometimes get confused. Thank You for response
A juvenile female would be a great option if you can find one. They are the slowest growing species I have ever had.

Edit: Also if you´re looking into E.pachypus I would go for a sexed female. Ceratogyrus grows fast so you can safely get them as unsexed slings.

sasker

Arachnoprince
Im not native speaker and sometimes get confused.
I am not a native speaker either and sometimes my posts confuse people :D

Yes, you should not have much trouble with a 2-3 inch specimen. Interestingly, this species has far more females than males (I am not sure about the ratio, though) so if you buy an unsexed sling, you are more than likely to buy a female. I did a quick search and some major Polish sellers have P. muticus slings. If you can find a bit larger one, it would be nice. But buying a sling is not bad either.

Ant

Arachnopeon
Second molt the seller stated. I know, that it may seem as a big step, but I'v studied lot of literature(i know that reality Is something else), and watched lots of of videos, I don't want it to sound silly as it may, but I'm extra careful and allways was even with the NW species. I'm feeling already enough confident to keep toxic species, just don't want to make a bad step and start with something super defensive or let's say too much agressive, even I know, that the personalities varyes. Thanx for help in advance
Some people are keen on a "ladder" style of keeping, where you gradually progress to more fast and defensive T's, others will say as long as you've done your research and know what you're getting in to, then go for it. Honestly, you sound like you're willing to take on the advice of others and making sure you're doing things right so I wish you all the best! :)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Hi guys, I started my african T's collection with Hysterocrates laticeps sling. I'm now looking to add some new T. I don't feel very confident to handle the OBT, even that I really like him. I think, that it'll be better to get some more experiences yet before I'll make that move.
While no one deny the level of defensiveness of a P.murinus, sometimes I'm speechless. Genus Hysterocrates aren't lazy pet rocks, either. If they want, they can be defensive as ####, throwing threat displays moving frantically their legs like a brat throwing a tantrum on the floor because he lacks candies.

A (respectfully) housed P.murinus 'infamous' 'OBT' isn't different - don't consider the venom potency now - for that the orange bugger will live, if given the chance (read inches of substrate) as a burrower. Just like genus Hysterocrates, despite being 'less' reclusive.

Now I don't know what to say, because, after the 'normal' and kinda 'calmer' NW T's you jumped pretty fast into Africans (btw I'm not judging you) but don't fall into the 'OBT horror stories' thinking that a P.murinus is necessarily more defensive than the rest of the other 'Baboons'.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I'm feeling already enough confident to keep toxic species, just don't want to make a bad step and start with something super defensive or let's say too much agressive, even I know, that the personalities varyes.
There are some feistier NW species that can serve as a good intermediate step (getting you used to faster, more defensive tarantulas without the same venom potency).

My first Old World tarantula is Ceratogyrus marshalli, which is from southern Africa. I chose that species because it is commonly recommended, has an interesting look, and is sexually dimorphic (easy to spot a female).

@cold blood wrote some additional recommendations on good starter OWs (most of which are African, with the exception of Monocentropus balfouri, which comes from an island near the Horn of Africa):

Augacephalus, Ceratogyrus, and M. balfouri are good starter OWs in my opinion.
I completely agree.

A. ezendami is not only beautiful, but one of the calmest OW fossorials and one of the very best OW starters.
Ceratogryus are also very good...although a little more defensive...still not too difficult to deal with and a good OW starter.
darlingi
marshalli

M. balfouri isn't to bad either...generally on the less defensive side...but also more "hidey than the others above.

Idiothele mira is always my first suggestion.
While certainly an easy OW to keep, IMO they won't teach you much, and unless you have many other ts, not as enjoyable, because you just don't see them too often, so learning something from them is difficult...and that's the whole point of getting a starter OW, to prepare you for the more advanced ones.

I will give a personal example....a few years ago I bought one.....After 3 years I literally had no clue how big it even was...never even saw a single molt....I assumed it was still on the smaller side (for a mira, as they aren't a large species).....imagine my surprise when I finally saw her out and realized she was a thick, nearly full grown adult...I had no idea...lol.

Definitely worth owning at some point though.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I'm in favour of the ladder system since that worked for me, but even if i didn't, how can people pass up the opportunity to keep Ephebopus murinus and jump right to baboons? You're missing out on a whole lot of awesome species ;)
Unless of course you started keeping Theraphosidae to get into baboons. Then it makes sense. But otherwise...why the rush?

Spiderguy47

Arachnoknight
I got into baboons with my female C. Marshalli, this is definitely a good first baboon. At least in my experience they aren't as flighty as others. My girl will throw up a threat pose and hiss but she is very reluctant to strike. You should probably wait to get one but I would definitely recommend getting a female H. Maculata. I absolutely love this species but they are arboreal, this means they are super fast and have a tendency to jump. My MM H. Maculata has bolted many times and is not easy to catch. Luckily for me mine is a bit of a coward and won't even give a threat pose, but that is not the case for all of them.

Pokie11

Arachnosquire
Whole Ceratogyrus genus would be great for you. They are from Africa, they are stunning, feisty and are easy to keep. I think that they could prep you for more defensive OW, like OBT. They are also fairly cheap and common here in Czech republic. So examples: Ceratogyrus darlingi, Ceratogyrus sanderi, Ceratogyrus meridionalis (my favourite), Ceratogyrus marshalli

Mericuh

Arachnopeon
Idk if anybody on here has mentioned it yet but Idiothele Mira might be a great way to go. They are more docile than other baboons and set up a trapdoor which is pretty unique

Mini8leggedfreak

Arachnoknight
Heterothele gabonensis is an awesome dwarf OW T. I paid 20$ for mine, eats like a horse. It’s fast but hasent tried to come after me. I believe they are from Africa. Also the heterothele villosella about 5-10$ Cheeper but not as beautiful. They were my first old worlds. Haven’t regretted getting them.
You said you’re not confident with an OBT yet, I don’t have experience with them but I have read that they aren’t as bad as people say. I’d definitely look into them more and not completely rule them out quickly. From what I read they get agitated and aggressive when there houseing requirments aren’t meant.

Not telling you to get one as you said you’re not confident with one yet and that’s fine. I’m just suggesting to look more into them.