I'm here!!!!!

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
well, I made it over here...looks great
I am really excited and impatient about my B albopilosum and her eggsac...I'm thinking it will be anyday now. I am too damn nervous to take the sac away and check on it, I'm trusting luck and fate and all that.
It's been 29 days since she made the eggsac, and I've heard under ideal conditions 33-35 days for the spiderlings to emerge...
Does that sound about right?
I've read Schultz's book, but anyone have any personal advice?
How long to leave them with mom? when will they start eating food?
etc etc ....
Holley (nervous mom)

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Holley,
I thought the incubation was more like 90 days. I might be wrong, but when my Costa rican Zebra made an eggsac, I started researching websites trying to find out different incubation periods.
Have you contacted anyone like John Hoke or Darrin Vernier and asked them from their experience? I emailed with John and he even talked with him on the phone. He was a tremendous help with a weath of information. One of the things he suggested is to remove the eggsac from the mothers enclosure prior to hatching. He indicated that if they hatch in there, they will begin to disperse and can easily get through screen tops. I'd hate to see you lose a number of them through escape.
On the time, he also indicated that the first 30 days was crucial. That is the period where they need round the clock care from the mother. After that, they should be okay to remove, although with my Costa Rican Zebra, he recommended leaving the eggsac with her for 60 days, as then they should be "Eggs with legs".
I really wish you good luck with the eggsac! The one my Costa Rican Zebra made, turned out to be infertile. The eggs never developed. After she molts, I am going to try an find a male and try again with her. She is a very big girl andjust a total joy to watch.
Take care and again good luck!
Ralph

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Ralph,
you're right...don't know what I was thinking on the 30 something day thing. They DO take MUCH longer, I think between 80-88 days, or something similiar.
I will leave it with her for another month then, and hopefully they will be eggs with legs and I can do the rest myself.
I didn't want to lose them either, since even a tiny screen top may be too small!
This gives me more time to get a source of pinners, or maggots, as someone suggested, for the little ones.
She made a really cool den out of half of a cork bark log, and she rolls the sac back and forth along the log.
I've got my fingers crossed!
thanks for the info!