IM GONNA BE A SPIDER DAD!!! FOR THE SECOND TIME!!!

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
i was showing my friend my spiders and i decided to get my Dysdera crocata out of her hide for him to see. i pull out a sac and think nothing of it because they make sacs they chill in during the day. i open up the sac and she plops out... ALONG WITH A FEW EGGS!!! this was about two days ago and i made an incubator last night with 7 eggs in it (it only produced about 13 or so and i lost a few in its enclosure. i put the opened egg sac in a sealed container over the 2 days and the incubator is sealed with a coffee filter over the air hole to allow air in. i know my method of incubation works because i also used it with a Parasteatoda tepidariorum sac so im just really exited now. ill post pics when they hatch

The wolf

Arachnolord
i was showing my friend my spiders and i decided to get my Dysdera crocata out of her hide for him to see. i pull out a sac and think nothing of it because they make sacs they chill in during the day. i open up the sac and she plops out... ALONG WITH A FEW EGGS!!! this was about two days ago and i made an incubator last night with 7 eggs in it (it only produced about 13 or so and i lost a few in its enclosure. i put the opened egg sac in a sealed container over the 2 days and the incubator is sealed with a coffee filter over the air hole to allow air in. i know my method of incubation works because i also used it with a Parasteatoda tepidariorum sac so im just really exited now. ill post pics when they hatch
You can leave them in there as I have heard they do not cannibalise and the mother cares for her young extensively

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
You can leave them in there as I have heard they do not cannibalise and the mother cares for her young extensively
uummmmmm the mother cares for there young... i dont know if i can put them back in her enclosure... i opened the sac to incubate the eggs... do they NEED the mother

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
uummmmmm the mother cares for there young... i dont know if i can put them back in her enclosure... i opened the sac to incubate the eggs... do they NEED the mother
okay after doing a little research they stay in the sac with there mother for a while so im hopeing that means when they hatch theyll just chill for a while and then dispurse. i dont know if the mother brings food back to the sac or something but if it does ill just but some bits of crickets in there enclosure a little while after they hatch

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
im hopeing that means when they hatch theyll just chill for a while and then dispurse. i dont know if the mother brings food back to the sac or something but if it does ill just but some bits of crickets in there enclosure a little while after they hatch
I think spiderlings would be fine without the mother as long as they have access to food and water.

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
Heeeeeeeey so last night I accadentaly tipped over the incubator and pretty much submerged 90% of the eggs in water I was already haveing a rough night last night so I just put the eggs back in her enclosure and am hoping for the best

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
Heeeeeeeey so last night I accadentaly tipped over the incubator and pretty much submerged 90% of the eggs in water I was already haveing a rough night last night so I just put the eggs back in her enclosure and am hoping for the best
i just regathered the eggs out of her enclosure and decided to go for a second try with another incubator

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
I didn't actually know you needed an incubator as for all of my,many sacs I just remove and wait
well most true spiders from my knowledge need to open the sac for there babies and the incubator just ensures a safe "hatch"

The wolf

Arachnolord
well most true spiders from my knowledge need to open the sac for there babies and the incubator just ensures a safe "hatch"
Only a few hunting spider families need such support namely lycosidae,pisuriadae,gnaphodae and a few others I have never needed to open a sac before

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
Only a few hunting spider families need such support namely lycosidae,pisuriadae,gnaphodae and a few others I have never needed to open a sac before
maybe its just widows im thinking of but it works and if it aint broke dont fix it

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
i regret to inform you guys that the eggs have actually started to shrivel up and i then had a realization that never came across my mind... i bought it online so there was no way the eggs were fertilized im sorry to get your guys hopes up and thanks for being so helpful anyway

The wolf

Arachnolord
i regret to inform you guys that the eggs have actually started to shrivel up and i then had a realization that never came across my mind... i bought it online so there was no way the eggs were fertilized im sorry to get your guys hopes up and thanks for being so helpful anyway
You bought s d.crocata online?
I whish they were available over here

The wolf

Arachnolord
you mean Dysdera crocata? and if thats what you meant yes i got it from bugsincyberspace.com i was so blinded by excitement that i didn't think about the fact its most likely never mated
I don't know what happened on that post sorry

The wolf

Arachnolord
yeah ive just been really eager to start a breeding project and the female Hogna C. i plan to find a male for is growing SOOOOOO slowly so i got kinda too exited
I would love to have a breeding colony of d.crocata they are pretty much my favourite spiders