I'm going to handle my female pokie Ornata, lacking confidence...

Handle pokie Ornata?

• If the situation felt right

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • There is never a need to handle her

Votes: 52 77.6%
  • Handling her does her no benefit

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • It might be surprising and we both might enjoy it

Votes: 6 9.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaronsp10

ARACHNERD
Just wanted to get a post in before it's locked... so glad this isn't my mess this time. Took me like 45 min of reading.. now I'm gonna go snuggle with my ornata

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
@Addison Chloe
I only read through page 7, so my comment might be redundant to others posts, but I can't make myself read all the pages because the conversation is going in circles.

I just want to point out that if you want to post and be part of this community, please read the rules. Many of your posts I've read have become quite hostile and defensive. You posted several swear words, which is against the rules. I don't care if people swear. I have the worst potty mouth of anyone I know, but I respect the rules and I respect others so I refrain from using swear words here. You really should do the same.

People are very riled up because you asked for advice and yet you are very unwilling to listen. Why ask then? Did you really think you would get any type of encouragement here? Obviously you know it's dangerous because you said you lack the confidence. You say that nobody here is willing to open their minds up to all the foolishness you've posted, but maybe you are the one needing to open your mind up to the possibility that what everyone is saying is in fact correct. Everyone is concerned that you will accidently hurt your T and its also very likely that you may get hurt too.

I encourage you to listen to everyone's advice and observe and enjoy your T from a safe distance. Many of these people offering advice have been in the hobby for decades and haven't been bitten. There is a lot of knowledge to be gained by interacting with people on AB. Everything I know about Ts was learned right here on AB. People want to help you, but you have to be willing to take the advice, especially if you are asking.

Just think for a moment. You didn't even know if your T was male or female and the setup is way off. What makes you think that what you think you know is accurate at all when all signs point to you don't actually have a clue?

I'm not trying to be mean so I hope you don't misinterpret this post. Please be careful and as many others have asked, if you get bitten, post a bite report. Good luck.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I spoke with Addison on the side. She's actually a really nice person. I apologized for some of my posts where I unnecessarily dog piled for my own entertainment. While I disagreed with a lot of her content in this thread, it doesn't make her a bad person. She wants to be a part of this group and I believe wants to learn a thing or two.
I think it would be awesome to let this thread die for at least 9 or 10 years until some other new guy posts on it and revives it so a then senior board member can mock them for talking on a post where nobody who posted there is on anymore.
Hopefully the dust settles soon and Addison will be a regular contributor to this board
That's the way to do it, man. Sooo much better than having a dozen members hating your guts.

As for the whole magnet thing and whatnot. I couldn't (Trenor ;) ) care less. I'm here for spiders and their husbandry. Not to debate life's mysteries.

@Ellenantula I'm full, no more cookies please.:depressed:;)

Last edited:

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
I want to see a youtube video of these things SOOOOO bad! Please please please post videos of the high five, rocking out and other things your Ts do.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
That's the way to do it, man. Sooo much better than having a dozen members hating your guts.

As for the whole magnet thing and whatnot. I couldn't (Trenor ;) ) care less. I'm here for spiders and their husbandry. Not to debate life's mysteries.
It's just as well. I wasn't writing it for you. ;)

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
It's just as well. I wasn't writing it for you. ;)
Ah, I meant you called me out last time I said that. Pointed out couldn't care less is proper rather could care less. Guess you took it a different way..

When I say I don't care bout the magnet thing, I really mean it.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Ah, I meant you called me out last time I said that. Pointed out couldn't care less is proper rather could care less. Guess you took it a different way..

When I say I don't care bout the magnet thing, I really mean it.
Ahh. I missed that. :)

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Your dry lead up to your rude insensitive buy a kitten or puppy line, almost had me going, I thought maybe you were a genuine person, but no just science troll. Science be damned!! There are so many things wrong with science don't even get me started, like gravity, <edit> ain't real, real rip off based off a truth yes, but magnetism is that truth. The world is put together in a harmonious flow of energy, every living thing and non living has energy. Spiders put thought in hunting methods to get creative to sneak up on prey, that's all thr capability needed. There is more than you think there is, science degree or not, you lack energy knowledge which I have, and I can tell you the energy all of my animals share with me is on a wavelength and it shifts and moves but is always there. I have rescued a parrot that was highly abused, told could never be held yards yards, now he talks, he knows sentences, he let's me my fiance and my step son hold him, he laughs with us, he loves oink Floyd music in particular, he has his own likes, just like Festes my other tarantula and the bass, she didn't react or care for anything, but hmwhat bass guitar got her moving, she was drawn to it's energy and I posted pics of her on the bass, we didn't put her there, she crawled up my fiance and out herself there while he was playing, almost every time he plays now, she'll come out. I believe that Wellenough has picked up on my energy to know my intentions and feel my lack of fear, good thing I didn't let these guys get to me or i would have reconsidered haha however, and the point would be to break barriers, I would do it outside, in a fenced area, and lay down let her get off me, feed her some big bug, just ideas so far, but one will manifest.
As a dead serious question (I'm not making fun or trying to demean anyone I swear): how can you quantify this energy? Is there a frequency spectrum to this energy you have generated? We [human scientists, not I] can measure gamma rays to radio waves in pretty precise fashions... i even read about "auras" but nobody wants to cite any evidence and everybody uses big words...

Reminds me of one of my favorite shirts actually:

Sometimes I use big words I don't understand so I can sound more photosynthesis.​

Honest question...if you've really seen "1000s" of rehousing threads and video guides, why is your P. ornata still in such an inadequate enclosure?
Cause they all came from YouTube and Facebook...

Last edited by a moderator:

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Alright can the magnetism jokes at least end, you all know NOTHING about magnetism obviously and it's one of the building blocks of the universe. And I have used magnetic therapy and other forms, I can make your headache go away in minutes, your vertigo stop, you guys have NO idea. And crystals are whole other ball game, and all 3 of you can know that you may be making the jokes now, but in the end the joke will be on you.
I actually have a pretty good background in electrodynamics... this stuff is just silly...

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I think it would be awesome to let this thread die for at least 9 or 10 years until some other new guy posts on it and revives it so a then senior board member can mock them for talking on a post where nobody who posted there is on anymore.
<Taking a glance at my join date>

Um, I wouldn't necessarily count on nobody posting here not being around in that amount of time. :D I'll also say that in my span of time, this is the strangest thread I can remember reading. That isn't to say there hasn't been a stranger thread, I've just never seen it if there is. Now, I gotta go read where I left off earlier. Why, I'm not sure. ;)

Walker253

Arachnobaron
<Taking a glance at my join date>

Um, I wouldn't necessarily count on nobody posting here not being around in that amount of time. :D I'll also say that in my span of time, this is the strangest thread I can remember reading. That isn't to say there hasn't been a stranger thread, I've just never seen it if there is. Now, I gotta go read where I left off earlier. Why, I'm not sure. ;)
Um, that was a joke in an attempt to lighten the mood.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
As was my reply, though I don't think the mood could stand anymore lightening. I'm practically rolling on the floor already...

Now...I'd like to see some of the research that has been done on some of the claims being made. I'll bet you every one would be from some "pseudo-science" source and not concrete science ones. People that hold these misconceptions seek (and suffer from) confirmation bias. I think wikipedia can explain that better than i can in my own words, so it is the tendency to search for, interpret, favor, and recall information in a way that confirms one's preexisting beliefs or hypotheses.[1] It is a type of cognitive bias and a systematic error of inductive reasoning. People display this bias when they gather or remember information selectively, or when they interpret it in a biased way. The effect is stronger for emotionally charged issues and for deeply entrenched beliefs.

You want to believe in "breatharians", for example? Then you go to their websites and to related hoo-doo websites that support their claims. If you go to a site that scientifically disputes those claims, you are not gonna have your beliefs confirmed.
I also believe that some people like to hold onto their beliefs doggedly because it makes them fell enlightened and a step above the knuckle-dragging Neanderthals that are unable to see the REAL truths. I've encountered those types before. I'm not including the OP in that group necessarily, but she is showing some of the signs. Her comments on some of the basic, well-established sciences is telling. Einstein a "quack" (Or whatever term she used)? It could very well be proven that he was off the mark in some areas, but the man certainly was not a quack (or whatever).

Now, in regard to being able to stop a headache in three minutes, I may take her up on that on after wading through all this. I'm kidding on that one, this has been the most jaw-dropping thread I've read her since...well, since never. It is one of a kind. I kind of think locking it would be some sort of sin. If it is a troll, I'm fine with that, even. Legit or a trolling, I'm not buying into any of it, it's simply recreational for me. :D

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Okay, seriously. We're close minded? No. It's just that you haven't given once piece of testifiable evidence to support your case. And I'm sorry to hear you're offended by what we're saying. However, in a debate, that won't do it. As put by Ricky Gervais: "Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right." So let's move on from playing the victim card, shall we?

Now, it is a known thing in the myriapods forum, where I spend most of my time on AB, that centipedes can get used to handling. And when I say it, I mean it. If the right procedures and necessary precautions are abided by, they will become docile to the extent that you can handle them just like any pet snake. But it wasn't always that way. The idea that centipedes could be "tamed" seemed an otherwordly proposal, certainly an extraordinary claim that required extraordinary evidence. So naturally, if the people on here are as close-minded as you say they are, they would never have changed their minds, would they? Well, they did. And do you know why? It was because when my claims were challenged, I did not play the victim card, but provided all the evidence I could find, including scientific papers suggesting intelligence in centipedes, and my own video footage of what I was saying can be done. Guess what? They were convinced. And that was because I had my evidence, and the entire "taming" process is something that makes sense given the nervous and other features of the animal. I had no need to resort to the pseudoscientific dogma that is abstract energy and forces operating between man, beast and plant. The experienced keepers on this forum are not close-minded; they merely have the rational approach of requiring evidence to support claims, especially one so extraordinary as the one you have put forward.

I would also love to address your statements about evolution and a flat earth, but for now, let's see what you have to say. Don't act like a victim. If you can't take a little bit of harsh criticism, then it is your fault. If there is any victim in this affair, it is your tarantulas.

Last edited:

JDS123

Arachnosquire
I spoke with Addison on the side. She's actually a really nice person. I apologized for some of my posts where I unnecessarily dog piled for my own entertainment. While I disagreed with a lot of her content in this thread, it doesn't make her a bad person. She wants to be a part of this group and I believe wants to learn a thing or two.
Hopefully the dust settles soon and Addison will be a regular contributor to this board
your fighting human nature bro lol. they love train wrecks lol

The one thing I want to stress, is some of the problem is your fighting a science vs science+spiritual vs spiritual or close to nature type conflict here that will never come together like a jigsaw puzzle. Aint gonna happen. Plenty of science only based ppl go spiritual and the other way around. Then its fine to go half and half. You are who you are. You gotta respect others. You can keep trying to convert ppl one way or the other, its a mine field, sometimes you gotta just be happy you didnt explode, and get the hell out.

She is obviously on the more "spiritual earthy zen" type who you want to see some of the scientifically proven things like what Ts lack in the brain department as far as snuggle me elmo cells. She may realize eventually she needs to me more open to some of the science, that its not a bad thing. However she doesn't have to lose her spiritual side. SHe cant fight you guys with facts because that spiritual zen whatever thing is based on feeling, unexplained things like crazy ass dejavu and such. Just because something isnt backed by facts doesnt mean its wrong.

I disagree too with things shes doing. Shes heard it all by now. Everyone's plated seeds lol. Maybe some will grow.

We may all die and get to a final resting place and Ts will be playing bass guitars and delivering pizzas, saying dang man why dint you snuggle us more!

Anyways just careful in the land mines, get out before you lose all your limbs.

Be nice to each other.

Peace

Last edited by a moderator:

Ant

Arachnopeon
I honest to god have no idea what's happening here. Pages 1-3 I was like, "this is either a troll or a fruit loop". Skipped to the final page and I honestly have no clue what's gone on, did the OP make it to the ER in time though?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
The one thing I want to stress, is some of the problem is your fighting a science vs science+spiritual vs spiritual or close to nature type conflict here that will never come together like a jigsaw puzzle. Aint gonna happen. Plenty of science only based ppl go spiritual and the other way around. Then its fine to go half and half. You are who you are. You gotta respect others. You can keep trying to convert ppl one way or the other, its a mine field, sometimes you gotta just be happy you didnt explode, and get the hell out.

She is obviously on the more "spiritual earthy zen" type who you want to see some of the scientifically proven things like what Ts lack in the brain department as far as snuggle me elmo cells. She may realize eventually she needs to me more open to some of the science, that its not a bad thing. However she doesn't have to lose her spiritual side. SHe cant fight you guys with facts because that spiritual zen whatever thing is based on feeling, unexplained things like crazy ass dejavu and such. Just because something isnt backed by facts doesnt mean its wrong.

I disagree too with things shes doing. Shes heard it all by now. Everyone's plated seeds lol. Maybe some will grow.

We may all die and get to a final resting place and Ts will be playing bass guitars and delivering pizzas, saying dang man why dint you snuggle us more!

Be nice to each other.

Peace
I wouldn't mind her zen-side so much if she didn't apply it to her spiders. I'm fine with her thinking the earth is flat and Einstein is a quack, she's got every right to think that as long as she doesn't hurt anything or anyone.

@Addison Chloe I was happy to read you'll get the enclosures in good shape.
Below link contains everything you need to know about Avicularia/Caribena/Ybyrapora husbandry.
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/avicularia-husbandry.282549/#post-2461396

For Poecilotheria enclosures, just enter it in the search function on this forum and you'll get lots of examples.
They will be so much happier if you change their environment. Also, I would stop leaving the enclosures open; arboreals can still take a deadly fall if they jump. They jump because in the wild, there's always another leaf or branch to catch them mid-fall. Which obviously isn't available in our houses.

I realize I could have given this response sooner, instead of freaking out, but I was just feeling so cornered by everything you were saying. Everything you're saying on Theraphosids care is just so very off I couldn't cope. To me, the care you say they need is like keeping a dog on a gymnastics bar and call it good because the dog is appearing to be wagging its tail. That's just not how it works.

I like the suggestion of @Staehilomyces , try to be scientific about it. Delve into research, get to know their anatomy and possibilities. Maybe you'll find something out.
But please stop what you are doing right now. You're freaking your spiders out everytime you disturb them.

Little Grey Spider

Arachnoknight
are you losin it here kitty kat lol
Yeah... ::bows head:::bag:

Be nice to each other.

Peace
I like bass guitar. It's my favorite instrument... maybe I was a T in a former life!!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.