I'm fed up with Hottentotta spec.

Australis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I dunno why but to me they are purely a waste of money and time and not ot mention effort. They just roll over and die.
Wasted so much money in obtaining them and they just screw up and die like flies.
Keep them dry, they die, keep them partially wet and they still die.
i have to check on them everyday and is definitely a demoralizing species to me...sometimes to the verge of giving up entirely :wall:
if they had not cost me a 100bux each, i'd swat them myself :mad:

i_like_scorps

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Whow! That's amazing! I only have a Hottentotta trilineatus for the Hottentotta spp. but it's doing fine. Haven't had any problems at all. I keep mine in a dry, desert condition. I have two live cactus in the enclosure that get watered when needed and I keep a water dish in there in case it needs a drink and two pieces of bark. Here are a pic:

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yes, I have had only H. hottentotta, H. trilineatus, and H. judiacus. All of them were easy and simple. Actually hardy IME.

Though Patrick's site speaks obliquely about this issue in his caresheet section www.messcorpions.com that some species require certain conditions. What species are you losing, btw?

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hmm...I keep all my hottentotta pretty much the same-
88-95F during the day and 75 at night.
Mist once a week right after feedings.
I have only ever lost 1 hottentotta specimen in these conditions...and it was right after a molt, but have had others molt since then with no ill effects..so who knows :)

Australis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hottentotta trilineatus of mine are doing ok and are the only ones tat are ok...
My female caboverdensis just went limp...and lethargic,i dunno wat the **** is wrong with her.
Urghh...talking about pressure:wall:
Gave her food but she wont take, gave her water she is not interested...she's juz staring at me and givin me the look...i'm gonna die do something...:mad:

I've lost all my franzy and if this one goes, i'll be stuck with only 2 caboverdensis kids:(

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Sorry, you have my condolences!

Have you attempted to dig up info on these two species through google or such search engines?

Australis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I did ask from those guys i bought from.
I keep them dry on sand and some on dry clay...but only my trilineatus managed to survive...

thedude

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
try hand feeding a cricket to her, tear the head off and use tweezers to get it by it's mouth, i did that with a half dead emp and a few weeks of doing that he turned out to be fine, did that with a dune scorpion also (i forget the sientific name)

Australis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
try hand feeding a cricket to her, tear the head off and use tweezers to get it by it's mouth, i did that with a half dead emp and a few weeks of doing that he turned out to be fine, did that with a dune scorpion also (i forget the sientific name)
The thing is she did eat before when i first got her. She ate two crickets and didnt wanna eat nimore. I was keepin her on dry and that time...and this tuesday, i saw her moving was a bit slow, so i changed her to a new container with a few drops of water to her mouth...a few mealies for her to hold on to but she seemed slower than i'm comfortable with. Wabling around.
I'm such a jinx at Hottentottas

Thanks brian, hope the rest of the Hot.sindicus would do better :eek:
I'm runnin low on lateralis babies to sacrifice to the scorps...

Australis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My rooms about 27C during noon. and i'll on the airconditioner for bout 3 hours when i sleep...so it will be around 20C

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I say up the temps to atleast 30-32. That might give you a few better results.

hottentotta.ch

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hello,

When a scorpion resists food for a long time, and it looks to me, like it die soon, I put it into a small box 10*10*7 cm and put in a cricket. It will take it up to 98%.
Thats how I do that.

*sorry for my bad english!

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
my a bicolor was doing the same thing earilier this year. the problem for it was temp. they REALLY do need about 30C to do very well, even if only for a short while each day. warm it up, and i will be amazed if that doesnt help.

John

Australis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My australis scorplings are doing well...20 over pcs...now at 6th instar.
Problem is that its in my room. Which is a lil bit hard to decipate the heat...would be too hot for me to later on
Will modify my rack to try to add in a normal light bulb...I'm only afraid that it would fry the kids instead

i_like_scorps

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Once again it shows how everyone is different in keeping their scorps. I have all my scorps in my bedroom and my bedroom is between 78 and 85 degrees F during the day and rather chilly at night with the window open; down to about 45 to 50 degrees F. Right now my thermometers are on 75 degrees F. All my scorps are desert species.

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Once again it shows how everyone is different in keeping their scorps. I have all my scorps in my bedroom and my bedroom is between 78 and 85 degrees F during the day and rather chilly at night with the window open; down to about 45 to 50 degrees F. Right now my thermometers are on 75 degrees F. All my scorps are desert species.
except the babycurus of course.