I'm back!

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok its been quite a few years since I got out of the hobby. I don't know if anyone is still around from back then. Either way I was given an OBT a month ago and it has really sparked my interest. Anyway just a quick question. What would you all recommend for top ten best display species?

jt39565

Arachnoknight
Just about any Brachypelma sp., I really like my A. brock, the Avics are nice & of course you can't forget the Pokies.

Jared781

Arachnobaron
Ok its been quite a few years since I got out of the hobby. I don't know if anyone is still around from back then. Either way I was given an OBT a month ago and it has really sparked my interest. Anyway just a quick question. What would you all recommend for top ten best display species?
not in any particular order::

1. Poecilotheria
2. Brachypelma (some)
3. Lasiodora
4. Nhandu (specifically tripepii)
5. Acanthoscurria
6. Haplopelma
7. Aphonopelma
8. Avicularia
9. Psalmopoeus
10. Theraphosa
11. Xenesthis (a little expenisve)
12. Pamphobeteus
13. Thrixopelma
14. Grammostolas arent bad
15.Cyriocosmus
16.Chilobrachys

(they may not be the best but they're my ATF)

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
not in any particular order::

1. Poecilotheria
2. Brachypelma (some)
3. Lasiodora
4. Nhandu (specifically tripepii)
5. Acanthoscurria
6. Haplopelma
7. Aphonopelma
8. Avicularia
9. Psalmopoeus
10. Theraphosa
11. Xenesthis (a little expenisve)
12. Pamphobeteus
13. Thrixopelma
14. Grammostolas arent bad
15.Cyriocosmus
16.Chilobrachys

(they may not be the best but they're my ATF)
Sorry, but is this a joke or something? Don't want to offend you, but on that list that are some that are (usually!) notorious burrowers that you'll most likely won't see a lot at all.... (correct me if I'm wrong...by all means!)

6. Haplopelma => Burrower, usually very reclusive, too - not for nothing called "pet hole" most of the time (and yes, I know there are exceptions)
9. Psalmopoeus => very reclusive in general, with a few exceptions they all tend to hide most of the time (i think the reduncus hides the least from what I remember having read)
15. Cyriocosmus => isn't that a dwarf species? anyways, from what I read, those are also burrowers in general who dig deep tunnels usually
16. Chilobrachys => same, known to be burrowers and hiding most of the time (actually in nature found in the same area as Thrigmopoeus truculentus -correction: some adults are known to web the crap out of the tank instead of burrow but that's as ADULTS!)

Again, correct me if I am wrong, but I wouldn't suggest someone wanting to have display spiders (which means "often out in the open and visible" I assume) notorious burrowers...but that might be just me misunderstanding something here...

Last edited:

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok let me clarify what I'm looking for. I want to keep my collection to under 10 spiders. I'm not familiar with any new species to.the hobby from the last 4 years or so. What I'm looking for is color first, not an excessive webber or burrower, stays in the open most of the time, and relative easy care. The ones that I know I want again are
P. Metallica
A. Geniculata
B. Auratum
A. Versicolor
L. Parahybana

Maybe you guys can recommend some others based on that a little better. Thanks in advance.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
B. smithi - mine is out and about most of the time and sometimes hilarious to watch :)

Probably also quite nice for you:

Euathlus pulcherimaklaasi (sometimes also E. spec "blue") very beautiful spider actually, most don't hide at all either (as slings these are just brownish)
Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens - absolutely gorgeous spiders - as slings as well as adults! Heavy webbers but often visible in their tanks
Homoeomma spec "blue" (this is NOT E. pulcherimaklassi!) - also very beautiful with steely-blue legs....
A. diversipes - another Avic that has absolutely great colors
A. purpurea - one of my personal favorites! correct lighting assumed, these have a deep metallic purple and almost velvet black (some have black hairs, some have white hair tips, both kinds are great)

That's some from me...

Last edited:

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
B. smithi - mine is out and about most of the time and sometimes hilarious to watch :)

Probably also quite nice for you:

Euathlus pulcherimaklaasi (sometimes also E. spec "blue") very beautiful spider actually, most don't hide at all either (as slings these are just brownish)
Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens - absolutely gorgeous spiders - as slings as well as adults! Heavy webbers but often visible in their tanks
Homoeomma spec "blue" (this is NOT E. pulcherimaklassi!) - also very beautiful with steely-blue legs....
A. diversipes - another Avic that has absolutely great colors
A. purpurea - one of my personal favorites! correct lighting assumed, these have a deep metallic purple and almost velvet black (some have black hairs, some have white hair tips, both kinds are great)

That's some from me...
N.tripepii..I am just going to assume that you have the cash to spend,judging by your list. This is a MUST HAVE for those that can afford them.( they are not THAT expensive)

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My favorites:

P. subfusca 'highland' - my favorite species of Pokie. My large female is out ALL the time.
I personally prefer L. klugi to L. parahybana. The red abdominal setae are beautiful. They're also generally of a heavier build.
Pamphobeteus species. I personally really like P. nigricolor, but the my favorite has got to be P. antinous.
G. pulchra
B. boehmei. Beautiful!
A. versicolor, A. sp Amazonica, and A. diversipes. Most Avicularia aren't super reclusive, and their webbing is incredible. My favorite is A. sp Amazonica, but the others I mentioned are beautiful too.

My concluding statement, seriously consider Pamphobeteus. They are a prettier Theraphosa. They get big and have awesome personalities. That genus is by far my favorite among terrestrial tarantulas.

Tarac

Arachnolord
My concluding statement, seriously consider Pamphobeteus. They are a prettier Theraphosa. They get big and have awesome personalities. That genus is by far my favorite among terrestrial tarantulas.
+10000

Pamphobeteus are the *best* terrestrials IMO too. My very first T was juvie P. insignis many years ago. I was a herp person strictly at the time but when I saw that giant velvety black T and saw how incredibly docile it was I had to have it. And then it just kept on growing, bigger and bigger and more beautiful. Was an excellent first experience and I have enjoyed keeping Pamphos ever since, though sadly you cannot get P. insignis anymore as far as I know. Moreover, that one turned out to be male but it doesn't even warrant a :( because they are ridiculously gorgeous in their last couple instars, they almost look fake. He lived quite a while as a MM too, more than year. I love them, can't recommend Pamphos enough.

As for Cyriocosmus, I just recently got into them but of the four species I have only one is hidden a lot. They do web and make burrows but mine are usually out in the open anyway and only bolt for the hide if you make an effort to really disturb them. They're not too shy in my experience and they are very beautiful.

Euathlus are nice for out-and-about types, Paraphysa are always out and come in nice colors.

I like B. auratum alot. Xenesthis are also pretty but I've never owned one to date so I can't comment on the display qualities of them. Look a lot like a Pampho to me though so that makes them appealing.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Lasiodoras , Nhandu's , Brachys R king {\/\/} due to size , color , hardy-ness
Phamphos 4th , I had a baby P antinous die do to lack of water... Very depressed.. 3 left:cry::cry:
4th due to being less hardy... color wise.. they tie with Nhandu /brachys:biggrin:
KEEEP HUmidity VERY HIGH.. like Theraphosa@@!! , and they will do great.

Last edited:

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I wish I could say the same...I have a big P. antinous female that I never see. It's been hidden away in its burrow for going on 8 months now. I don't mind having pet holes, because it's still fun to see them shoot out of their burrow like a flash of lightning and grab their prey and retreat back down the burrow; I liken it to a hole of death, but my Pamphobeteus hasn't eaten in about 6 months out of the 8 its been hidden.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
thats true King baboon , Obts , Psalmous genus , baby pokies, and Malaysian Earthiger's are all cool pet holes!! :)
nothing wrong with reclusive Ts

my G rosea Hid & webbed up its hide.. I think it might make a eggsack soon

Jared781

Arachnobaron
Sorry, but is this a joke or something? Don't want to offend you, but on that list that are some that are (usually!) notorious burrowers that you'll most likely won't see a lot at all.... (correct me if I'm wrong...by all means!)

6. Haplopelma => Burrower, usually very reclusive, too - not for nothing called "pet hole" most of the time (and yes, I know there are exceptions)
9. Psalmopoeus => very reclusive in general, with a few exceptions they all tend to hide most of the time (i think the reduncus hides the least from what I remember having read)
15. Cyriocosmus => isn't that a dwarf species? anyways, from what I read, those are also burrowers in general who dig deep tunnels usually
16. Chilobrachys => same, known to be burrowers and hiding most of the time (actually in nature found in the same area as Thrigmopoeus truculentus -correction: some adults are known to web the crap out of the tank instead of burrow but that's as ADULTS!)

Again, correct me if I am wrong, but I wouldn't suggest someone wanting to have display spiders (which means "often out in the open and visible" I assume) notorious burrowers...but that might be just me misunderstanding something here...
i said at the bottom, (they may not be the best but they're by ATF - All Time Favorite)
My Top pick is Pokie

---------- Post added 02-16-2012 at 03:20 PM ----------

Really? Psalmopoeus and Haplopelma as some of your top display genera?
they're just the Ts i like, my top choice is Pokie, as its number 1

mmfh

Arachnobaron
My A. seemani is always out, is large (5+") and I love the white on black coloration. Not sure why they are not mentioned more often.

1hughjazzspider

Arachnoknight
i said at the bottom, (they may not be the best but they're by ATF - All Time Favorite)
My Top pick is Pokie

Funny seeing as how the OP asked what the best display T's were, NOT what you All Time Favorite T's were.

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Lasiodora parahybana is definitely a good choice. Grammostola pulchripes are out a pretty good amount of time, too. Good luck :)

Rob1985

This user has no status.
for my favorite display T's I'll go with B.vagans, A.chalcodes, Aphonopelma so. New River and definitely the N. chromatus.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
My Top pick is Pokie

Gotcha. But without wanting to start some rant here, it's more helpful to answer the questions a member ask than just posting what -your- favorite T's are. That's kinda missing the point, don't you think? :D