Illegally imported animals

MantisGirl

Arachnosquire
I've was browsing, and found something about someone trying to sneak 260 Mexican redknee tarantulas over the border in sandwich bags, so I looked into it. Then I looked into illegal importation, and I'm sickened. How can people do this?? There was someone who stuffed 24 critically endangered yellow crested cockatoos into 1.5 liter water bottles to get them over the border. Seven died. I mean... Just... AARGH.

Last edited:

Myrmeleon

Arachnoknight
People will do anything to make a buck. Like my dad says, "profits draw a crowd." Anyway, clearly there is a demand for these creatures which is why they are so valuable. It is our job as consumers to make sure we are sourcing animals responsibly and not overcollecting.

Myrmeleon

Arachnoknight
Also, simply smuggling animals is small potatoes compared to habitat destruction and overpopulation in terms of protecting wildlife.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
The whole process is messed up. I remember a year back someone smuggled fruit bats into the country in liter soda bottles. They later sold the bats for 1,500 USD each. The illegal animal trade is all sorts of wrong.

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
Just look around this board for plenty of evidence of the same.