1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Illegally imported animals

Discussion in 'Not So Spineless Wonders' started by MantisGirl, Jun 8, 2018.

1. MantisGirl

MantisGirl Arachnopeon

UK
    Advertisement
    I've was browsing, and found something about someone trying to sneak 260 Mexican redknee tarantulas over the border in sandwich bags, so I looked into it. Then I looked into illegal importation, and I'm sickened. How can people do this?? There was someone who stuffed 24 critically endangered yellow crested cockatoos into 1.5 liter water bottles to get them over the border. Seven died. I mean... Just... AARGH.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Myrmeleon

Myrmeleon Arachnoknight

People will do anything to make a buck. Like my dad says, "profits draw a crowd." Anyway, clearly there is a demand for these creatures which is why they are so valuable. It is our job as consumers to make sure we are sourcing animals responsibly and not overcollecting.

3. Myrmeleon

Myrmeleon Arachnoknight

Also, simply smuggling animals is small potatoes compared to habitat destruction and overpopulation in terms of protecting wildlife.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Ratmosphere

Ratmosphere Arachnoprince

CT
    The whole process is messed up. I remember a year back someone smuggled fruit bats into the country in liter soda bottles. They later sold the bats for 1,500 USD each. The illegal animal trade is all sorts of wrong.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Thistles

Thistles Arachnobroad Arachnosupporter

Virginia
    Just look around this board for plenty of evidence of the same.