Iguanas.. (A little bit of rambling)

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'm getting a Rhino Iguana soon, so I've been reading up on them a lot. Unfortunately, there isn't TOO much out there for Cycluras. But from most of what I've read, Cyclura and Iguana care doesn't differ TOO much. (Except for the obvious stuff: Iguanas are arboreal, Rhinos aren't.)

I picked up the book "Iguanas for Dummies" by Melissa Kaplen (sp?) which is supposed to be THE book for Iguanas.

But it has me wondering. I once read about how Iguana owners sometimes go too far with how much "Their animal loves them" and this book makes me remember that.

It's my understanding that Iguanas are fairly curious? The book says it's cruel to keep them in a place where they can't watch stuff going on outside of their cage. Now, I'm not saying I planned on keeping it locked up in some small room with no lights or anything, I just thought that sounded a bit odd. If anything, I'd think they'd be happier (Atleast at hatchling and juvie size) in a quiet environment without too much traffic.

Anyone have any opinions about that?

burnpile

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Iguanas are a critter that I've never kept. BUT I have an interesting tidbit on their natural behavior. I'm not sure of the species, but I have seen them sit on the boulders at public beaches in Mexico, Jamicia and Dominican Republic and watch the people. There was plenty of plant cover and trees around, but they seemed to prefer sitting closer and watching. They do however run like hell if you try to catch one :D

<edit> To make it clear, these were not green I. iguana, they were some type of large Iguanid lizard. Grey to brown and up to 4 fett long.

petitegreeneyes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have mine in my dining room. He seems to like it there and lord knows he gets to see everything going on when you go through to get to the living room or kitchen.

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Here's a (not so great) picture. I don't have it yet, but it's coming..

Attachments

Quiet-1

Arachnopeon
Did you happen to see the recent article on rhino iguanas in Reptiles magazine? Not sure exactly which issue, but it was within the past couple of months. If not, you could probably go to the magazine website and search the archives. It seemed like a pretty comprehensive article on keeping/breeding these guys and might offer some more suggestions and at the very least a source to contact with experience with these animals.

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yeah, I have it. I actually bought it before I was planning on getting a Rhino just because I've always found them to be awesome animals.

To date, I've read the whole article around 5 times. I only bought the Iguanas for Dummies book because, even if they're slightly different animals, a 300 page book is bound to have some good tips in it.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think the idea that iguanas get some kind of enjoyment from watching what's going on in the house is anthropomorphic to say the least. However, I think that for an aboreal animals (that is on the menu for many different creatures), having a good, long view view is probably pretty critical. I can easily see how a blocked limited view may be stressful for them.

Wade

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Kind of figured Wade would jump in :p You're the one that made me think that in the first place. It sometimes seems like people give them too much credit. I'm not doubting they have some intelligence, but I guess people do like to think they have human like characteristics.

They can't even figure out reflections ;P

Edit: Wade, have you ever worked with Rhinos? What's your personal opinion of them? There doesn't seem to be an overabundance of them out there, so getting personal impressions seems to be kind of difficult.

Last edited:

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think when people observe behaviors in the animals they keep it's natural for them to construct theories to explain them. Sometimes these ideas are simply human behaviors transferred to the animal, or sometimes they may be educated guesses based on what we know about the animals lifestyle in the wild. Although my suggestion seems more likley to me, it's still just a guess. Who knows what goes on in the minds of our pets :? Melissa Kaplan is pretty well respected in the herp scene, so I bet her husbandry info is pretty right on. Just don't take the cuddly iguana stuff to seriously =D

I've never worked with Cyclura, but if I was ever going to work with any sort of Iguana again, it would be one of those! They really have that great "dinosaurian" thing going for them. I just don't have the required floor space to even consider it. If I lived somewhere where it was warm enough to house them outside, maybe.

Wade

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Wade,

Now come on -- so far you have nothing of note anywhere but the basement. I'm sure you could do without the entire main floor, so you may as well convert it to iguana space. ;)

Cheers,
Dave

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well, we do have that vaulted ceiling in the living room. a couple of nice trees, a little pond in the middle....

Wade