If you could...would you?

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Hello all, here is your One Big Question for the day:
If you could, would you move to Europe/US/Asia/wherever else because of tarantula and/or other invertebrate availability?
And when I say this, I mean if you had the money, time, job lined up, etc. I know a lot of us in the USA would love to go to Europe, but we also have a lot of native (and not-so-native) species that many Europeans will likely never see on their side of the pond. And then again, what about good ol' Australia with their myriad mygalomorphs? Or Asia, with a little bit of everything (and then a lot of isopods, ha ha)? Or even Africa? They have, well, you already know what they have ; ).

I'm interested to see your responses! I have mixed feelings about moving out of the US, but we'll see...

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Theneil

Arachnoprince
i donmt think i would move just for that BUT if money was a non issue and i had the time, i would like to travel ans visit the habitats of tarantulas around the globe and Just maybe, if i am super lucky, be able to discover a new one. :)

Kitara

Arachnodemon
If you could, would you move... because of tarantula and/or other invertebrate availability?
No. But if I could, I would definitely move back to Europe. I spent 8 years there and miss it a LOT! Nothing to do with what pets I can get though.

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron
For availability, I'd strongly consider moving to Europe. But because of other factors, it wouldn't be a 'yes' necessarily.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
@viper69, I never said for it to be the only reason, just a primary reason. This is all hypothetical. I know there are a variety of factors. If this was true: "I have a job, place to live, money, and can bring my family/friends", would you go?
I am just curious to see how die-har...I mean how interested you are in this hobby ;).

I love the US, but at the same time there are sooooo many exotic species I would love to keep that are currently just pipe dreams. At the same time, I have access to A. steindachneri, A. johnnycashi, Apomastus sp., etc., species that most, if not all European enthusiasts will never see unless captive breeding shoots way up here in the US.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

ghostly

Arachnopeon
I'd love to move to the US for a while... Not for tarantula reasons though. As far as the hobby is concerned I'm glad i live in Europe. I think we're pretty lucky as far as prices and availability are concerned, but i would still love to have access to more Aphonopelma spp.,for example.
I don't think I have any hobbies I would consider moving to another continent for... Maybe for love, or a career opportunity, but not for spiders, nah

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
@ghostly, you are definitely envied by us, ha ha :D.
It's good to see that nobody is so addicted to the hobby as to throw caution to the wind and run headlong for wherever one can get the most species.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
I wouldn't move just for that reason but definitely would move out of the USA if I could. It would be either Japan or Europe ( most likely Italy or Germany) having lived in both Japan and Germany before and have been to Italy and have relatives there.

Drizzliz

Arachnopeon
No, I have no intention on leaving Canada for any reason, especially not over pet availability. Possibly willing to move within this massive country at some point. There are certain places I would definitely avoid, such as Ottawa, due to their exotic pet laws; only three different species of tarantula permitted (G. rosea, B. smithi and A. avic) and no pythons that have the potential to exceed 6 feet in length (I have a jungle carpet python).

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
No, I would be very hard pressed to think of any reason to leave Canada... permanently. I've done a lot of traveling, but the best feeling in the world was seeing that Toronto skyline upon my return.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
No. But if I could, I would definitely move back to Europe. I spent 8 years there and miss it a LOT! Nothing to do with what pets I can get though.
Where in europe did you live?

No, I would be very hard pressed to think of any reason to leave Canada... permanently. I've done a lot of traveling, but the best feeling in the world was seeing that Toronto skyline upon my return.
If you visited Öland where i live, i asure you, you would like to move here! Go ahead. Google it!:angelic:

But i like Canada! Seems to be like in northern Sweden! I love Twin peaks! That show was filmed near canadian border i think! But we are better in ive hockey than you are!? If i say Peter Forsberg!:angelic:

Last edited by a moderator:

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
We lived in Spain, near Cadiz, for 4 years and in Italy, near Pisa, for 4 years. I would love to move to Germany or Norway.
Spain and Italy! Nice. I live on Öland in Sweden. I have been on Mallorca and Tuscany on vaccation. Norway i have been in many times. Öland is fsntastic. Another naturetype than rest of Sweden and not as many people living here.

Kitara

Arachnodemon
Spain and Italy! Nice. I live on Öland in Sweden. I have been on Mallorca and Tuscany on vaccation. Norway i have been in many times. Öland is fsntastic. Another naturetype than rest of Sweden and not as many people living here.
My husband's business partner lives in Norway. It is a bit too expensive for my taste, but I wouldnt turn down the opportunity to live there. I have never been to Sweeden, but definitely on the "to do" list. We love to travel, but moving around gets harder with teens.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes i guess so!? But if you sometimes are going to Sweden. Please, visit Öland!

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I already live in Asia and can buy many species of AF Chilobrachys and Cyriopagopus for about $20 so I’m fine where I am =P

Moebius

Arachnopeon
If the province where I'm in became a "no tarantulas" or "heavily restricted to a minuscule variety"... I'd be hunting for a new place. I already know many folks that moved to less restrictive provinces due to restrictions on any and all boas and pythons. As is, while there's a big city here that has some pretty sloppy limitations via their bylaw, it isn't too bad elsewhere otherwise. If it became province or country wide? As unlikely as it is (the sheer amount of headache regarding grand-fathered species would be phenomenal), I'd be eye-balling elsewhere if it seemed realistic (and rarely does, the grass is always greener on the other side as they say) especially if finances didn't take a hit for it.

I'd definitely prefer to be somewhere consistently warmer though; my body doesn't play nice with the cold, and the Canadian prairies get it hardcore. I like the landmass, I couldn't care less about politics, people, national identity or anything related to that if it's not negatively infringing on me or my personal freedoms otherwise. People are people in the end, wherever you may end up. So basically, if I realistically could, yes, I most would if the situation got invert-unfriendly, especially if it had better climates and similar standards of living lol. I'd probably be less inclined if it wasn't so damn cold for half the year. :coldfeet:

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
@viper69, I never said for it to be the only reason, just a primary reason. This is all hypothetical. I know there are a variety of factors. If this was true: "I have a job, place to live, money, and can bring my family/friends", would you go?
I am just curious to see how die-har...I mean how interested you are in this hobby ;).

I love the US, but at the same time there are sooooo many exotic species I would love to keep that are currently just pipe dreams. At the same time, I have access to A. steindachneri, A. johnnycashi, Apomastus sp., etc., species that most, if not all European enthusiasts will never see unless captive breeding shoots way up here in the US.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
A Johnnycashi is available here. I don’t think I would move I’m happy with the Ts we can get and there prices