If you could...would you? Part 2

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Hello all, here is your One Big Question for the day; if you could, would you go see tarantulas/other invertebrates in their natural habitat? If so, where would you go?

I know most of us want to, so I'm curious to see where y'all would choose to visit!

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Last edited:

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I plan to go to Tambopata preserve someday to see some Pamphobeteus in the wild.

Michael Guirov

Arachnopeon
Been planning a few trips to Sri Lanka with my dad for some time now, even more excited since the discovery of C. jonitriantisvansicklei.

He has a few government contacts after doing buisness there, so planning to have a conversation, if at all possible regarding conservation efforts of their native tarantulas.
I doubt anything usefull will come of it but would be interesting to hear first hand about the ecological landscape from their perspective?

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Nah. I would do it as an add on, but not as a primary reason for a trip. Tarantulas are a keen interest of mine, but not a even close to being a principal reason for a journey. I endeavor to see things (both animate and not) I can’t find in a room of my home.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
@Olan, that sounds awesome! I hope you are able to make it there soon :).

@Michael Guirov, that's awesome that you have someone who has contacts in the government. Best of luck with that trip! Maybe (legally) bring some back too :D...

@FrDoc, after some thought, I changed the original post to reflect what you said; there are many amazing things in this world, and there is no need for me to constrict other's imaginations by saying it has to be a primary reason :D. Where would you go to see tarantulas as well as these other things you speak of?

Thanks,

Arthroverts

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
My dad and I have been talking about going to Australia for 2 weeks, and while it would be cool to see an Aussie T or mygalomorph, I don’t think I’d actually set aside time to go looking for them whilst I’m there. There’s just so much other stuff I’d want to see/do.

Michael Guirov

Arachnopeon
@Michael Guirov, that's awesome that you have someone who has contacts in the government. Best of luck with that trip! Maybe (legally) bring some back too :D...

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Thanks man, their not high clearance or anything but knows a few people who manege the regulations for the cylon tea plantations. They seam to be making a bit of an effort banning pestecides and insecticeds, attempting to meet UN regulations. So would be interesting to speak to them atleast.

Id love to grab a few pokies and chilos but have never had the heart to remove anything from its habitat.
It will just be photography for me haha

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Yes.

Pretending i didn’t have other obligations that kept from traveling constantly (and of course pretending like i could afford to) i would travel all over the place!

I would like to visit some of the USA locals of course! But probably what i would be most excited to do is go to some of the more isolated areas with the very high percentage of endemic species. the Galapagos islands (honestly not even sure if there are Ts there.) Madagascar, Socotra island, etc.

And absolutely what would be the point of looking around for tarantulas if you don’t go to the amazon rainforest?!? So a good long trip there as well.

Disclaimer: Desires include but are NOT limited to the above destinations.

MainMann

Arachnosquire
I'd love to go on a herping trip around the Nusantara Archipelago. Albeit the Ts native to there are very illusive, i love Ornithoctoninae and it'd be amazing to see them out in their natural habitat! Another contributing factor why i want to explore there is that the insect diversity is absolutely mind blowing! Went on quick hiking trip at Tangkuban Parahu and found a handful of Longhorn beetles without even searching!

ghostly

Arachnopeon
I would DIE for a trip to the Amazon. If I see a few Ts there, even better. I'd also love to go see some Brachys and Aphonopelma in the wild in Central America... But i don't think spiders would be my primary reason for a trip. Snakes maybe, but spiders would be a side note. A really cool one though.

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
My absolute dream is to observe Xamiatus Magnificus in the wild. Still an Australian species, but the known locale is several hours away and so rarely seen I don't believe any online photos of it exist, only that of its close relative Xamiatus Rubifrons. Basically a wishbone spider so huge it's pretty much a T

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hello all, here is your One Big Question for the day; if you could, would you go see tarantulas/other invertebrates in their natural habitat? If so, where would you go?

I know most of us want to, so I'm curious to see where y'all would choose to visit!

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Done it!

Minty

@londontarantulas
Same as Viper, done it in Malaysia. Sadly not tarantulas, but other invertebrates. I found one tarantula burrow in the forest in Singapore, tried to coax it out so I could observe it, but had no luck.